Thread: New MR89 Tuner
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 03:39 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
Exactly! While attractive, I can barely tell this tuner from one of their integrated amps (which don't really look like integrated amps of yesteryear either).

With all of the knowledge and expertise they possess after all this time, they could have really hit this one out of the park with a beautiful linear tuning dial, dial pointer, and traditional signal strength and tuning meters. They could still have included the window with the station information, etc.

But, they've chosen instead to make many of their products generic and cookie-cutter looking, all for the sake of including big output level meters that aren't needed on a tuner, in this case.
Mac's meters are popular, which might explain why they're on a tuner. I suppose there could be some diagnostic benefit as far as monitoring channel output levels or something, but I think this would take some getting used to for me if it were in my rack. An overload on meters is possible.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks