View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
Well an update on the Canterbury SE. I've been alternately every 4 days between the Burmester and Triode 300B (8W). I'm not going to say one is better because every time I make the switch I love what I hear. I have to say a SET amp is a fun treat (I'm looking forward to some tube rolling). The 8 watts is more than enough power except under the influence of alcohol. The sound is very romantic no head banging bass and smooth top end. But when I make the transitions to the Burmester these speakers take on a whole new life. The bass is authoritative, voices are front row and guitar strings are plucking. Like I said before this speaker is like an old baseball glove. It takes solid state or tubes beautifully. I have to say one of the best things about this speaker is that you can position it anywhere in the room and you aren't phased with bass issues (I'm a foot from the back and side wall). Enclosed is picture looking down the barrel of the speaker.
John,

It sounds like we have another Tannoy fan.

With my smaller Sandringhams, however, I had to play quite a bit to find a sweet spot in my room. But when I found it, the results were spectacular. Yes, the bass was balanced, but the soundstage is what bloomed. My speakers are about 3 feet from the back wall, I am not quite sure what kind of acoustic effects are at play, but my soundstage is a couple of feet behind the speakers and centered at about 3-4' higher than the drivers. That's just the center of the soundstage, the vertical soundstage itself often extends up to the ceiling and beyond.

The concentric drivers pull such a disappearing act that visitors to my room want to touch the driver to make sure that it's those speakers playing - how's that for disappearing.