View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 AM

Default Paradigm - Signature Reference Series.

I would never had believe my eyes & ears when I dropped by the local Thorens Dealer, who also happen to carry JM Labs Focal speakers as well as .... Paradigm (and of course a whole other range of amplifiers, like Rotel, etc,...).

Jim, this is the place where we audition the JM Labs Utopia Maestro!

The sales guy, who now became a good friend (after my Thorens TD2030 purchase) told me to be "open minded" and have a listen to a pair of speakers - the small Paradigm Signature Series 1, matching stands (can be filled with sand, ball bearings, what have you to make it inert & heavy - the ones in the showroom was filled with fine sand) coupled to the pretty looking Seismic 110 "Aplha Dog" 10 inch subwoofer. Take a look at the pictures and you know what I mean.

When he played "Take Five" - the "jazzed up drumming" the bass notes are so realistic, the drumming (sticks hitting the skin) impact, so real. Cant believe such a small speaker (on a beautiful glass stand) could produce such sound! No boom at all. The dealer told me he did a "clean" up using a software which he will do the same if any customer buy the whole system. Electronics was the REGA Osiris integrated amplifier & Isis CD player with the Rega P9 TT (separate power supply).

Vocals? Its there with the best. Open, clean and clear. Carly Simon, in the newly re-recorded "I'm So Vain" sounded so good!

In short, I can safely say the speakers (with the sub woofers - "cleaned up with room software") can take on any speakers that are in the S$15000 category.

How much did they cost? Well, the Signature 1 I was told are S$2000 (stands at S$500 a pair) and woofers at S$2000 a piece. Total, if stereo bass, would be S$6500. Very impressive.

By the way, the cabinets of the smallish Signature 1 are aluminum and the tweeter - beryllium! Pure beryllium!

If I am looking for a small pair of speakers, this would definitely be high on my list. By itself (sans subs), they do sounded very open, wide and detailed. Of course, the bass do not have the depth and bloom. For near field listening, its on par or even better than the famous LS3/5a series.

I walked out, an hour later, very impressed. It may not be the best there is and definitely not in the category with the Wilson and the likes, but by itself, anyone with a budget should give this a listen. I did and never regretted. In fact, I am "sold"

OK, so much about my experience. Go give them a listen and you may be in for a surprise.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seismic 110 - Alpha Dog.jpg (53.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Signature 1 Reference.jpg (27.4 KB, 85 views)
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar