View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
Actually I just traded my Dart amp.

Still have the Dart pre and just got a Robert Koda K15. My current amps are the CH Precision A1 monos. But should be receiving the upgraded Soulution 711/725 sometime next week.

The mains of the Soulutions are 240v so i'll have to install some new lines before I can listen to them; hopefully in a couple of weeks. The voltage on the Koda and the A1 mono is user switchable so that will make it easier to compare.

In terms of your assessment, it's on target. When I had the 710/725 combo, the Darts were my backup. The Soulutions were faster, more transparent, less colored. But the Darts also had a magic to them.

At this level, the differences are sublime and a question of personal taste. Especially if the rest of the elements of your system (i.e. Isolation, power quality/noise floor and room) have been optimized.

It's like comparing guitars, or cars for that matter. Fender vs Gibson for example. And even within the fender line, strat vs tele. They each have their charm. After playing a strat for a while, there's a real pleasure in playing a tele; and vice-aversa. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately they are both quality pieces - and variety is the spice of life.

Last night, for example, I was listening to the A1 monos and the Koda. The Koda has a very natural sound. It throws a tremendous soundstage especially depth, with great transparency and detail. It separates instruments and allows you to follow complex musical lines with ease. Some would call it slow, but it's very delicate and lures you into the music.

I then switched to the Dart. The Dart didn't have the depth of the soundstage of the Koda but it was still close and it does have a richness that I find appealing. I thoroughly enjoyed both presentations. If I had to pick only one, I'd probably pick the Koda. But I could easily live with the Dart. And I have for a long time.

Comparing the Koda, the Dart and Soulutions combo will be interesting and fun. I will probably end up keeping a main one and an alternate option. And it would make sense to pick the two that have the greatest contrast in presentation. But we shall see.
cmarin, Thanks for taking the time to share your findings.
Are the K15 and A1 new/broken-in units? More insight please as you get familiarized with them further. Also, most curious - keep us updated as to which of the two pairs finally be chosen worthy in your stable along with incoming Q7. Enjoy the play!