Thread: DACs for MACs?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post
Hi.. first post here ! I'm in the process of upgrading an old system (Esoteric DV-50s SACD player, BlueSound Node2 streamer, Herron VTSP-2A tube pre, Mac MC 352 amp, B&W 802 Nautilus speakers). I wanted to first replace the 12year old tube pre with a solid state unit and considered the C47,C52 and D1100. Aside from occasional unrealistic thoughts of procuring a turntable, I'm pretty much all streaming these days so I thought the D1100 would offer the best SQ (best DAC path) .

Unfortunately one local audio chain in my area (Denver,Boulder,Colorado Springs) has a monopoly on Mac gear yet doesn't have much inventory for audition. I was unable to audition any of these units and had to pay a down payment to order a D1100, although I know I can return if it doesn't suit me. At any rate, posts like the above, that suggest the DAC path for the D1100 is the same as the C47 and C52 make me wonder what the advantage of the D1100 is ? I have read one or two posts from people who have gone from the C47 to D1100 and reported a definitive improvement in SQ. I wish I could audition all three units but this seems not possible.

Its likely that I will be happy with the D1100 but I'm always going to wonder if I boxed myself in the digital only realm (D1100) and gained no SQ advantage. I know I could add a C1100 down the line, but I want to stay solid state. Anyone know FOR CERTAIN if the DAC path in the D1100 is the same as the C47 and C52 ? I understand the chips are the same but I've also read that the chips are not always the final say in SQ.
Any and all comments will be appreciated.
You could always go separates. I've got a C47 that's fed by a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and has a wonderful sound. That said, if you want streaming, you'll need to find a streamer, like the Mytek Manhattan DAC with network card.