View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 07:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gochurchgo View Post
Thanks. $3k is, for me, a monumental amount of money so I'm terrified of not finding a speaker I LOVE. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in getting a demo of them and the others I am interested in are sold direct. Its a huge gamble.
Yeah, I get that. FWIW, I bought my Contour S 3.4s unheard, but I had a pair of Dyns previously, so I knew what to expect, at some level.

I can tell you that getting Dyns is a safe bet: they are very, very neutral, but by that I do not mean in any way they are cold, cool, analytical, thin, or spare-sounding. They are just neutral, like a photograph that is perfectly neutral with respect to color or black and white accuracy; to the extent that they will reflect both the qualities of the source material and components used to drive them. They also are very easy to listen to and and never, ever fatiguing.

The one caveat that all prospective buyers must be aware of is they require at least 300 hours to run-in, and I've heard that the S40s could require as much as 450 hours. They can also be quite "uncomfortable-sounding" during the run-in period, so with Dyns, patience is absolutely key. Once they get there, though, they are glorious. Also, the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter is regarded by many as the finest soft-dome tweeter made by anyone, anywhere.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.