View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 04:53 PM

Default A dilemma with 35' interconnects

Over the past year, I have invested a lot of money in updating and upgrading my audio system, particularly in cabling and power conditioning. And then this morning I had one of those OMG! moments.

My two primary amplifiers (I have a 7.4 home theater system) are located approximately 35 feet from my preamplifier. I am currently using Canare L-4E6S cable terminated with Neutrik XLR connectors as the interconnects between my Theta Casablanca IV preamp and my Krell FPB 200c and 250m amplifiers. (For those who are interested, here is the manufacturer's description of this cable: http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDis...oductItemID=53).

I am not at all dissatisfied with the performance of my audio system; in fact, I'd say most of the music I play through it sounds pretty damn good. And yet, I wonder whether these interconnects represent its weak link. Given the length of cables needed to do an A/B comparison, I cannot borrow a more audiophile set of cables (I'd need three) from a dealer. Moreover, the likely cost of such an upgrade would be many thousands of dollars, which is money that would be irresponsible to spend given my already somewhat depleted financial resources.

Thoughts/recommendations anyone?

Main System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor; Wadia 8 CD transport and Digimaster DDC 2000 DAC (w/all updates); Theta Compli CD transport; Oppo UDP-203 disc player; Lumin T2 music server/DAC; Roon Nucleus+ core (w/Teddy Pardo LPS); SOTA Sapphire turntable (w/ Premier FT3 arm and Hana SL cartridge); SugarCube SC-2 non-destructive "click and pop" removal device; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; Magnum Dynalab MD-102 FM tuner (w/MD-205 Signal Sleuth FM antenna amplifier and ST-2 FM antenna); McIntosh MC 611 (3), Krell FPB 200C, and KAV-250a power amplifiers; Revel Ultima Studio (2 - L&R), Voice (1 - center), and Embrace (2 sides and 2 surrounds) speakers; SVS PB-16 Ultra (2) and 3000 Micro (2) powered subwoofers; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; various Kimber Kable, MIT, Shunyata, and WireWorld interconnects; Shunyata Denali 2000/T (2), Denali 6000/S, Hydra [original], Hydra 2, and Venom PS10 power conditioners; various Shunyata Delta, Venom, PowerSnake, and Sidewinder power cords, and Venom Defenders (2); Richard Gray's Power Company Substation and 400 Pro; Luxul AGS-1024 Ethernet switch; Sound Anchor amplifier stand; VTI (2) and Billy Bags (4) equipment racks.