View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 02:57 PM

MY one mid sized amp used to sit between the speakers on a 18" square concrete patio slab. The slab, up on tip toes, then the amp feet on rubber pads on the slab. Good for nine years...

I recently have been acquiring butcher blocks for everything. And substituted a 3" thick, 18" by 19" Maple butcher block on the same tip toes, then, on top of the Maple with small ebony spacers between the two butcher blocks, I placed a 17" by 14" 3" thick Walnut butcher block with the amp up on wood points to the Walnut. The narrower Walnut arranged so the fins of the amp are more open from below.
I was surprised at the improvement in sound just from swapping the footing of the amp! And different added footers changed the sound a bit. Even adding some all or partial small bits of sorbothane to spots between the tips of the fins (dampening them) changed the sound! Down from a high of all top and bottom. to only all top, alternating. and then down to just between pairs at the top only) Too many dulled the sound.
The places with the most improvement in sound were under my turntables, and under my amplifier.
So IMO the amp stand really matters.
I also have both power conditioners up on similar Maple, and on tip toes.