View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
I've had my Yggy 2 years, and early on I noticed that its Gen 3 USB input didn't sound nearly as good as the coax input (too much energy up top, and a bit anemic in bass). I use an Audiophilleo 2 to convert iMac USB to SPDiF/coax; the DAC's sound quality is extremely satisfying this way.

Certainly, based on reports, I'd be optimistic that they've created a solution in Eitr that could compete with the Audiophilleo and similar products for much less cost. That said, I'm a bit miffed from my experience with their Gen 3 USB, since there was a lot of early hype about how excellent the Gen 3 supposedly was, and it didn't pan out to my ears. Furthermore, my Yggy experienced an early control board failure within about a month out of the box. And let me not mention the ugly chassis (whoops)

I like the Yggy, but I see an awful lot of hype and Kool-aid drinking when it comes to Schiit products.
If you're interested enough to get an Eitr, I am 95% confident you will find it outperforms your Audiophileo. Schiit pulled out all the stops on Eitr, including separate linear power supplies for both the USB and S/PDIF circuits, and having the S/PDIF circuit with it's own, separate isolation from the USB circuit (also including the use of transformers instead of optocouplers).

You may want to consider getting your Yggy updated to the new Gen 5 USB implementation, because, based on my experience with my Gumby, it's as good as coax S/PDIF using Eitr...in some respects, the character of the difference would be preferable to some folks, including me. More on that in my review of the Schiit Gen 5 USB implementation. And yes, some products do have failures, but this is true for ANY product made by ANY manufacturer. There are no defect-free manufacturing processes; they do not exist; just ask Toyota or Honda Motor.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-27-2017 at 03:03 PM.