View Single Post
Old 11-05-2022, 11:41 AM

Default Shootout at the 300B corral...

Since Dennis had finished his new 300B PSE and and all the usual suspects were available on Friday, we got together for an amp shootout. The count was 11 amps total, 10 of them different models...

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

Shown here are the 6V6'er, 7C5'er, Universal PSE, 46 SET, and 6FLV amps.

Here we have the 300B PSE flanked by a pair of 300B amps. Underneath is a prototype PSE, and my 45 PSE.

And of course let's not forget the Kleen Sweep amp...

Despite all this heavy metal, the PSE 300B was clearly the star of the show.

Dennis says this amp is the best one ever to play in the shop, and I'd have to agree with him. It literally blew everything else away. In it's current configuration it's putting out somewhere around 12 WPC. However, that number can't convey the incredible deep bass, the rich tones, and the sweet syrupy highs. The old dogma is that triodes are great for jazz, female vocals, etc, but don't have the oomph to handle rock and roll.

WRONG....

Here's a little Pat Travers...(Click on the image)

and here's a little club music...(Click on the image)

The amount of bass coming out of this amp and the Inspire speakers is nothing short of amazing. Typically they have not been as dynamic as the big shop prototypes, but with the extras power and dynamic range of the 300B PSE, they really open up and come alive. What's really amazing is that all that bass is coming from an open baffle design. We will be continuing to make the Inspire speakers as a custom order, and we be able to ship them in the near future.

Some spur of the moment critiquing...(Click on the image)

I would only add that the nice thing about that extra power, is that you don't necessarily have to use it all the time, but it sure is nice to have it when you want it. And if you don't got it, no amount of 4 letter words is gonna produce it from thin air...

Also spotted for the first time was the Kleen Sweep amp, 6-7 WPC of inexpensive Inspire power. This is a very...ahem...clean listenable amp with a bright upper end. Dennis is going to offer this one as his affordable, entry level offering into the Inspire line.

Dennis will be asking a mere $1500 for this one

In addition, I really enjoyed the 46 amp that I heard for the first time. This tube is like a juiced up 45 that although it is only rated at 2 wpc, it seems a whole lot more powerful than just a couple of watts. It also has that nice rich SET sound to it, while the Kleen Sweep is obviously a SEP amp.

The 46 SET amp will run an even $2000.

But for those of you who want the Ultimate Inspire amp, there can be no other than the 300B PSE. However, it is not for cheapskates or people with holes in their shoes.

The 300B PSE will run $8500.

However, realize that's with $3000 worth of brand new WE 300Bs, guaranteed for 5 years. I can not say enough about this amp. I wish I could afford one, but it's not in the cards, at least not yet...

"This is the Big Boy...."