AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How Should I Be Using the 'LP Filter' Switch on a JL Audio Sub? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46003)

Route 66 06-07-2019 06:52 PM

How Should I Be Using the 'LP Filter' Switch on a JL Audio Sub?

I've read the instructions in the manual for my JL Audio subwoofer but I'm not sure I understand how I should be using the switch labeled 'LP Filter.' I'm using the sub for my two channel system (not a home theater setup) and I don't know which position this switch should be set to. I have a single RCA plug running from the back of the sub to the sub input of my integrated amp.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

crwilli 06-07-2019 07:03 PM

It depends on which model you have but I THINK, assuming your home theater processor is handling all the bass management crossover settings, you would set that to off.

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...bile_site=true

Route 66 06-07-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 967811)
It depends on which model you have but I THINK, assuming your home theater processor is handling all the bass management crossover settings, you would set that to off.

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...bile_site=true

I guess I should have been more clear. This has nothing to do with my home theater setup; that's in another room. The sub is only for my dedicated two channel system.

crwilli 06-07-2019 07:37 PM

If there is no bass management before it, then set it to ON and then set the crossover point at 40 and tweak from there. Set its level down and ELF to 0. I assume you have no measurements of your room so are flying blind.

- Optimize your room for your main speakers.

- Ask yourself what do you feel is missing?

- I suggest you start with a low crossover point (~40 Hz)at low volume.
—— Bring sub volume up slowly while listening to a bass heavy test track. Ballad of a Runaway Horse is a good one! Once you hear the sub, now begin turning it’s volume down balanced against the crossover point or HP Filter level.

—- Run DARO

—— don’t forget to adjust the phase on the sub (assuming you have a Fathom).

You do not want to be able to locate your sub. It should be ‘invisible’ when you close your eyes. You should ‘feel’ it filling in only those frequencies below which your mains can handle.

Lastly, consider pursuing the free (except for a USB microphone) route of using REW and measuring your room.

So this is what I would do in your situation. It may or may not be what others would do!

audio bill 06-07-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route 66 (Post 967809)
I've read the instructions in the manual for my JL Audio subwoofer but I'm not sure I understand how I should be using the switch labeled 'LP Filter.' I'm using the sub for my two channel system (not a home theater setup) and I don't know which position this switch should be set to. I have a single RCA plug running from the back of the sub to the sub input of my integrated amp.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Looks like you've been given good advice about the settings in post #4, but I want to ensure that you have the RCA cable connected to the sub's input from the SUB OUT connection of your integrated amp. :thumbsup:

Route 66 06-07-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 967816)
If there is no bass management before it, then set it to ON and then set the crossover point at 40 and tweak from there. Set its level down and ELF to 0. I assume you have no measurements of your room so are flying blind.

- Optimize your room for your main speakers.

- Ask yourself what do you feel is missing?

- I suggest you start with a low crossover point (~40 Hz)at low volume.
—— Bring sub volume up slowly while listening to a bass heavy test track. Ballad of a Runaway Horse is a good one! Once you hear the sub, now begin turning it’s volume down balanced against the crossover point or HP Filter level.

—- Run DARO

—— don’t forget to adjust the phase on the sub (assuming you have a Fathom).

You do not want to be able to locate your sub. It should be ‘invisible’ when you close your eyes. You should ‘feel’ it filling in only those frequencies below which your mains can handle.

Lastly, consider pursuing the free (except for a USB microphone) route of using REW and measuring your room.

So this is what I would do in your situation. It may or may not be what others would do!

Thank You, you've given me a lot of good info to work with and I really appreciate it!

Route 66 06-07-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 967818)
Looks like you've been given good advice about the settings in post #4, but I want to ensure that you have the RCA cable connected to the sub's input from the SUB OUT connection of your integrated amp. :thumbsup:

Yes, that's exactly how I have to sub connected to my amp. :thumbsup: