AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Momentum Mono Blocks in Stereophile (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=18446)

turntable 01-18-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsli (Post 428491)
You seem to be confusing the facts with your likes and opinions. Obviously the copper material and venturi design are, in and of themselves, fine. The designer needed more of both, however, for proper dissipation. The test in question isn't Atkinson's--it's a standard of which every competent designer is aware, your assurances notwithstanding.

It's heartening to hear that the amp works with your speaker load. Someone with less sensitive speakers may not have such good fortune.

Who knows exactly why the first sample failed, it has happened before. Shit happens. 30 minute tests are also not unusual either, from memory the large MBL amps last year for example. Atkinson stil indicated that hat the amps were as well engineered as they were beautiful.

HiFi critic, HiFi choice and Australia HiFi have all done extension technical tests on the Momentum amps and all these magazines indicated it was an extremely well designed amp technically with no failures whatsoever- not to mention the sota musical delivery.
What did these 3 independent technical tests not do that Atkinson did?

Have you heard of any users that have had problems with their Momentum amps? I have not and surely with supersluths like yourself, you would have found some.

I am glad we still have technical testing of equipment. Imagine what it would be like if all reviews were like TAS with zero technical testing.

jsli 01-18-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 428504)
Facts? You have facts??? Are you an engineer?

1. Yes.
2. Yes. As stated.
3. Yes.

Clearly I have upset you. My apologies. I will refrain from further debate on what, for you, is a very sensitive subject.

jsli 01-18-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable (Post 428512)
I am glad we still have technical testing of equipment. Imagine what it would be like if all reviews were like TAS with zero technical testing.

:thumbsup:

mbovaird 01-18-2013 08:26 PM

Hi guys - I am seriously considering a pair of these gorgeous amps for use on my Strads and with my wonderful ARC REF 10 preamp.

What do you guys think? Good match? Would the REF 250 be a better match? Thanks!

Mike

PHC1 01-18-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsli (Post 428514)
1. Yes.
2. Yes. As stated.
3. Yes.

Clearly I have upset you. My apologies. I will refrain from further debate on what, for you, is a very sensitive subject.

Well if you are an engineer yourself you should extend professional courtesy to others, especially those that have earned the respect over the 3 decades! You have seen the response from Dan, there is no need to debate further. :smoking: Think you can do a better job? Prove it.

Masterlu 01-18-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 428529)
Hi guys - I am seriously considering a pair of these gorgeous amps for use on my Strads and with my wonderful ARC REF 10 preamp.

What do you guys think? Good match? Would the REF 250 be a better match? Thanks!

Mike

Mike... I'm confused, don't you love your Pass Labs xa160.5's :scratch2:

mbovaird 01-18-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 428538)

I love them - but you know how it is Ivan....always searching for better (unless you're Ivan and then you have the best! Burmester/Aida. Yowser! Sweet!)

joeinid 01-18-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 428538)

What's the confusion, he among us with one and only one system or set of gear please step forward. When you go to a buffet, do you only pick one item?

I love my Dartzeel, but would love to own Dan D'Agostino's creations as well.

turntable 01-18-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Mike

Buy both Mark :D

Seriously thou. Having big powerful tubes with 16 x 6550/kt120's is magnificent. You will get superb upper frequency "air" and an awesome 3d liquidity and soundstage. Momentum treble is a little more reserved, but still extemely finely rendered and grainless. I am using my cj Teflon prem8's as reference, not the ref250.

Momentum I am pretty sure will have a tighter ,quicker and more natural sounding bass than your Pass amps and tighter and quicker than the ref 250's. There is no overhang in the upper bass/lower midrange of the Momentum.

Across the frequency range, the Momentum just sounds right to my ears and when cranked, no frequency is more forward to the others.

BTW, If I still had my Strads I would go Momentum, as the Strads all ready have a really nice airy treble and can benefit from the more open upper bass/lower midrange.

Take what I have said with a grain of salt thou.

Can you demo both at all?

PHC1 01-18-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Mike

Mike, I am very familiar with Strads and obviously Momentum amps, my dealer carries both. I would suggest a SS amp of a refined pedigree. To my ears such SS amps are able to extract the very essence of the Strads. They have always sounded even more special with an amp capable of bringing high current and grip while having a liquid and grain free presentation. Wilson speakers I do not care for with Krell for example but the Strads with Krell are fantastic! The Momentum amps will take it up even a few notches higher since they have such a gorgeous tonal palette. :music: