AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cary Audio Design (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Cary DMS-600, DMS-550, and DMS-500. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45342)

asindc 03-14-2019 12:15 PM

Cary DMS-600, DMS-550, and DMS-500.

I’m interested in feedback on the sound quality and functionality of these Cary network player/DACs, particularly when data is streamed directly to their Ethernet input from a Roon core server. It would be a bonus if you have compared any of the Cary network player/DACs used in this manner to any other network player/DACs (i.e., Esoteric N-1, Bricasti, Auralic Vega 2) used this way.

Timobi 03-20-2019 05:05 PM

Hello..I have owned the DMS-550 for almost a year.

I love it...Outstanding DAC-does MQA...the Roon stuff.

I've been pretty impressed with it.

asindc 03-21-2019 09:18 AM

Thanks. Before the 550 and 500, what DAC were you using?

Timobi 04-04-2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asindc (Post 958058)
Thanks. Before the 550 and 500, what DAC were you using?

I used a Sony HAP-Z1ES hd streamer/dac. Was very nice but the Cary audio is in another league.

asindc 04-05-2019 12:05 PM

Thanks. I'm seriously considering the DMS-600. It seems to check all my boxes.

oneofew 04-09-2019 02:35 PM

I've had my DMS-500 since late 2016, it was finicky at he begining, would loose connection to the network, had trouble reading certain audio formats, if I remember right, took couple of firmware updates.
No more issues.
I'm extremely happy with it now.

AVphile 06-26-2019 04:22 PM

Earlier this year, I spent a fair amount of time evaluating various music streamers. At the end, my two finalists were the Cary Audio DMS-600 and the Lumin T2. I finally purchased the T2 for two reasons: unnecessary functionality (such as the 600’s ability to serve as an external DAC and price, which was, in effect, the consequence of that incremental functionality. I don’t have buyer’s remorse, but I strongly recommend, if possible – it wasn’t in my case – to listen carefully to both units.

The T2 is very accurate/clinical, most likely because of its employment of the ESS/Sabre 9028 DAC. I suspect that the 600’s use of the AKM DAC results in a warmer and softer sound. I say that because I also have a Roon Nucleus+ which I have connected via a Shunyata HDMI cable directly to my Theta Casablanca IV preamplifier/DAC, and there is no question that the Roon/Theta combination sounds better with vocals, whereas the Lumin T2 excels at the reproduction of string instruments and orchestras.

I am pleased to have read that those who purchased the Cary Audio music streamers are happy with their purchases.

asindc 06-26-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVphile (Post 970408)
Earlier this year, I spent a fair amount of time evaluating various music streamers. At the end, my two finalists were the Cary Audio DMS-600 and the Lumin T2. I finally purchased the T2 for two reasons: unnecessary functionality (such as the 600’s ability to serve as an external DAC and price, which was, in effect, the consequence of that incremental functionality. I don’t have buyer’s remorse, but I strongly recommend, if possible – it wasn’t in my case – to listen carefully to both units.

The T2 is very accurate/clinical, most likely because of its employment of the ESS/Sabre 9028 DAC. I suspect that the 600’s use of the AKM DAC results in a warmer and softer sound. I say that because I also have a Roon Nucleus+ which I have connected via a Shunyata HDMI cable directly to my Theta Casablanca IV preamplifier/DAC, and there is no question that the Roon/Theta combination sounds better with vocals, whereas the Lumin T2 excels at the reproduction of string instruments and orchestras.

I am pleased to have read that those who purchased the Cary Audio music streamers are happy with their purchases.

Thanks for the detailed account. I am also considering the T2.

Pack66184 06-28-2019 06:20 AM

To AVphile-

I am considering the Cary product. Did you use the JRiver media center option with the DMS unit for playback?

AVphile 06-29-2019 02:32 PM

No, I chose the Lumin T2 due to its price, Lumin's greater experience in designing and building music streamer/DACs, and its employment of the ESS Sabre chips.

I purchased the Roon Nucleus+ core subsequently. Essentially, providing one uses the DACs inside the T2, there is no material difference in the sound between using the Lumin app to download a track from Tidal and using the Roon to pass that track along to the T2.

In my estimation, the T2's strength is also its weakness -- namely, its "sound" is in large part determined by the ESS Sabre 9028 DACs Lumin has used. They are exceedingly accurate in their decoding, which provides for a detailed sound; however, that focus on accuracy also results in the absence of the bloom present in analog and some competitive music streamer/DACs. Many people, myself included, like that bloom, and I confess I miss it. On the other hand, listening to a violin concerto, or a Yo-yo Ma concert streamed and converted through the T2 is amazing.

Like with many things, individual taste preferences are the most important consideration.