AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Kimber 12TC speaker cable - thoughts? Options? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47147)

Puma Cat 11-30-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Lane (Post 987440)
Thanks guys, great advice. Stephen, I still owe you a call - family getting back to normal after a tough stretch...

Ivan, I'll definitely be reaching out.

Cheers

Matt

Anytime, Matt.

prepress 05-04-2020 05:21 AM

So Matt, what was your decision on this? Or, are you still contemplating? I'm curious.

tonyptony 05-10-2020 05:25 PM

As a long time Kimber user (tried the 12TC but for my use they were not better than the 8TC), I have found Analysis Plus to be a great step up while staying pretty much in the same price bucket. They have a competitive natural sound,IMO, and at least in my system I felt like (cliche) some veils were lifted, but not at the expense of the natural feel for the music. YMMV.

Matt Lan 05-23-2020 06:35 PM

Hi guys, haven't been around in a while, we are still trying to settle in after moving to the new place. The shutdown locally makes everything painful and slow, so we're kinda' on autopilot. Not a complaint, just an observation :)

I haven't had time to give this proper thought. Another option when I spoke to Ivan was the WW Mini Eclipse. Need to make a decision and get hooked up. For now, the gear is sitting on the floor (functional) but I look forward to getting the components in the cabinetry and running the cables under the floor :)

Sooo… any more ideas/thoughts?

1. WW mini eclipse - gauge seems like a step backwards, but if they sound better than what I have, great?

2. Shunyata Venom - who else uses these, and how would you compare them to what you had previously?

3. 12TC - stick with what I have, maybe try termination bi-wire at the speakers to take the brass jumper out of the equation if nothing else.

Cheers

Matt

Matt Lan 05-23-2020 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the new room, will be really nice when the components are all in the cabinetry, RHS of the fireplace. Plan is to run the speaker cables below the floor and have them exit behind the speakers for a really clean install.

Cheers

Matt

Antonmb 05-23-2020 08:48 PM

That’s a beautiful room.

Matt Lan 05-24-2020 09:21 AM

Thanks Tony!

prepress 05-24-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Lane (Post 1005500)
Here's a pic of the new room, will be really nice when the components are all in the cabinetry, RHS of the fireplace. Plan is to run the speaker cables below the floor and have them exit behind the speakers for a really clean install.

Cheers

Matt

Wow. That's a nice-sized room, from the look of it. Great to enjoy tunes in. Looking at the windows, will they get curtains, or will you do any other room treatments?

Also, which brand of interconnects are you using? Maybe choosing a speaker cable that mates well with those is an idea. You know and like what you get with the 12TC, so there's no absolute reason to change; but if you're curious about other possibilities, research into those may be indicated.

Matt Lan 05-24-2020 08:27 PM

Hi, yeah, it's a nice sized room (about 20' left to right on the fireplace wall, extending back about 30' if you include the archway onto an entrance hall).

We're definitely adding 'heavy' floor to ceiling curtains on the side windows, and material shades on the back wall. Plus a proportionate carpet and side seating to soak up more of the sound. Currently, the room has ridiculous echo - to be expected with all the hard surfaces, so I am going to reserve any judgement until I get the basics covered and have a reasonable amout of sound absorption in play.

My interconnects are Kimber Hero - I do plan to upgrade my power cords from stock to something in the Shunyata Venom line.

So as for the speaker cables, I guess looking for someything 'reasonable' considering I need about 15 feet since the amps will be in the cabinets on the RHS. And yes, complimentary to the rest of the system.

Cheers

Matt

GSOphile 05-24-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyptony (Post 1004498)
As a long time Kimber user (tried the 12TC but for my use they were not better than the 8TC), I have found Analysis Plus to be a great step up while staying pretty much in the same price bucket. They have a competitive natural sound,IMO, and at least in my system I felt like (cliche) some veils were lifted, but not at the expense of the natural feel for the music. YMMV.

Tony, which Analysis Plus? (I have an old Black Oval 9 SC that I'm quite fond of.)