AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Questions about cabling for speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43717)

joe schmoe 09-04-2018 09:23 PM

Questions about cabling for speakers

I recently re-ran my speaker wires which were all Belden 16GA wire. I bought Blue Jean Cables 10GA white wires with their sonically welded expanding banana plugs factory attached. I am also Bi-amping my Bryston Mini-Ts so all these runs are double.

What I did was to run the BJC behind the crown molding in my media room one run was 45 feet and the other run was 22 feet, which I then terminated into banana plug jacks. Then on the other side of the banana jack sockets I have Audioquest Rocket 88 speaker cables (5 meters) going to the tweeter/midrange and Transparent Audio cables (forgot the model) (2 meters) to the woofer.

Does this configuration hurt my music?

Due to my equipment location, I cannot wire directly to the amplifier without horrible speaker placement for the room and layout of our furniture..

Mouse 09-09-2018 01:35 AM

Does this configuration hurt your music? You tell us. I'm guessing yes, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I have plenty-o-compromise in my system too. In theory the shorter the cable the better the sound; at 45 ft you might experience that. Between 8 and 12 ft I couldn't hear a change.

Without trying to be too much of a snob, one of my best sound upgrades was when I got rid of my blue jeans speaker cables and AQ Mackenzie interconnects. AVS forum will have you beleive there is no difference between cables. But if you use your ears it will be significant. I had a dealer loan me both Analysis Plus and Nordost. Analysis Plus was a significant improvement over blue jeans in higher frequency distortion. AP was less harsh for longer listening, and more clear. If you could get a demo cable from a local dealer I'd highly recommend it. AP is a great cost for performance ratio. Nordost blew it away in my demo but the cost to performance was less reasonable and I wasn't limited by budget. It wasn't apples to apples. I also couldn't do 45 ft of nordost within my budget.

I'm not the most qualified to answer your question here, but as friendly as this forum is I'm shocked to be the first to answer.

Poppyhome 09-09-2018 12:08 PM

I would not mix different manufactures of speaker cables. Stay with the same manufacture and type for the entire run. :thumbsup:

I am a Blue Jean Cables fan and sold all my WW Silver stuff, while applying funds to components instead.

Enjoy the music. :music:
Ron

Poppyhome 09-09-2018 12:31 PM

BJC white cables look pretty ugly, but can be covered with braided sleeves and heat shrink tubing. AVoutlet.com is a good source. :yes:

Should you choose to go that route.

Ron