AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Mark Levinson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Mark Levinson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40138)

audioguy3107 08-04-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 859681)
Madrigal Audio Labs took Levinson to court and asked the United States government to forbid him from working in audio for the rest of his life.

Gary - I knew the bits and pieces of the story but I wasn't aware of this part of it. Why in the world did they do that? Just afraid of future competition?

- Buck

gadawg 08-04-2017 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 859707)
I know this guy that runs a cool audio forum that is. :whistle:

Oh wow ... guess I should pay more attention. :D Excellent ... now I know where to go when I get ready!

Thanks

George

metaphacts 08-04-2017 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 859681)
I suppose you could say a Mark Levinson Audio Systems forum is conspicuously missing.

You might as well include Cello in that forum too.

In 1980, an investor acquired control of the company, allegedly without paying Levinson, and allegedly put MLAS through a planned bankruptcy to eliminate Levinson’s 43% interest in the company. Mark Levinson Audio Systems, Ltd. ceased to exist in 1984, with Madrigal Audio Labs acquiring its assets. Madrigal Audio Labs took Levinson to court and asked the United States government to forbid him from working in audio for the rest of his life. In August 1986, Levinson won the case but lost the right to use his given name as a trade name (such as is put on a product). Since 1990, the Mark Levinson brand and trade name have been property of Harman International Industries.

Other than a few details, this is about as accurate as I have seen in public.

Alki 08-04-2017 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 859669)
Speak up now, or forever hold your peace. :)

My vote would be to have a ML forum. ML does to not appear to receive as much love on AA as other brands but maybe some closet ML people will come out. I have a ML amp in my main system. Also find that their amps play real nice with an ARC Pre.

Had the pleasure of hearing their No. 52 pre and as far as solid state goes it was sweet.

Ritmo 08-04-2017 06:44 AM

ML recent product introductions look very good and sound very nice.

rnrmf1971 08-04-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alki (Post 859720)
My vote would be to have a ML forum. ML does to not appear to receive as much love on AA as other brands but maybe some closet ML people will come out. I have a ML amp in my main system. Also find that their amps play real nice with an ARC Pre.

Had the pleasure of hearing their No. 52 pre and as far as solid state goes it was sweet.

Somewhere along the line I'd love to hear my No.52 with tube amplifiers. I think it might be outrageously musical with the right tube amp.

I'm loving the combo of the 52 with Bricasti amps, at this point, however.

gadawg 08-04-2017 11:37 PM

Have you ever compared the No52 to the No326? I'm interested as to how much better the 52 is than the 326. Thinking about upgrading next year....just don't want to upgrade and have them come out with its replacement 30 days later. Hahaha

Alki 08-05-2017 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 859911)
Have you ever compared the No52 to the No326? I'm interested as to how much better the 52 is than the 326. Thinking about upgrading next year....just don't want to upgrade and have them come out with its replacement 30 days later. Hahaha

I have heard both of these in a very similar system but unfortunately with quite some time between. As you know audio memory can be short. Personally I was not totally moved by the No 326. That day I was comparing it to some ARC pre amps. When I heard the No 52, that was the only pre that I listened to that day. The rest of the system was Revel Salon 2's and they were driven by a ML amp.

The No 52 was fairly new and did not have many hours on it but I thought it sounded great. Probably the best SS pre that I have heard.

For the record I am a tube pre kind of guy and have a preference to ARC. At this point in time I do not see a future without ARC as my pre. If I was to go back to SS tomorrow one of the first pre amps I would audition is the No 52.

Based on my recollection I would suggest the No 52 is quite a bit better than the 326, but so is the price.

rnrmf1971 08-05-2017 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 859911)

I've heard only positive feedback on the 326. I've never had the chance to compare. I wasn't aware that the 326 was still a current product. I know it's on the Levinson website but I figured the 523 (526 has an additional DAC) was the replacement.

Wasn't the 523 very favorably reviewed in Stereophile somewhat recently?

Alki 08-05-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 859899)

Somewhere along the line I'd love to hear my No.52 with tube amplifiers. I think it might be outrageously musical with the right tube amp.

I'm loving the combo of the 52 with Bricasti amps, at this point, however.

If you ever mate your No 52 with a tube amp please post your experience. I personally have never heard a SS pre with a tube amp but do like a tube pre with a SS amp, which is what I currently use and am very happy with.