AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Electra 1028 Be (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30296)

BeerCan 02-17-2015 09:22 PM

Electra 1028 Be

So this speaker has shown up on my radar. Is there anyone on this forum that can give me a real world review of these? I read some places that the tweeter can sound harsh.

scirica 02-18-2015 12:19 AM

A well broken in pair of 1028's should never sound harsh. A good friend of mine has a nice 2 channel set up with a McIntosh pre (C2500) and MC452's powering the 1028be's. They are an amazing speaker new, and even better once broken in.

Next week I'm planning on spending a few hours with them before I decide on 1038's or 1028's. I'll let you know how they have broken in.

Glisse 02-18-2015 04:34 AM

Agree with Scirica, not harsh.

The beryllium HF driver is very extended, very pure, never harsh. In the 1xx7 series, it can be a bit obvious, in terms of the transition from mids to upper treble. So amp and room needs more careful match. The 1xx8 series is a smoother blend. They are punchy, dynamic, detailed. They are not warm, like many SF or the Focal Aria series. So less forgiving of source and amp: if there is any hardness in your system, you will hear it with the Electras. But when everything is balanced, they sound very good indeed.

BeerCan 02-18-2015 05:10 PM

Looking back on those reviews, I think they were talking about a different tweeter than these have. I think in one of the other series.
Scirica, I would love the know your impression after you hear them again.
I am trying to see if I can find a place to demo these that is not to far from me.

-E- 02-18-2015 05:19 PM

The Be tweeter can certainly run hot if not controlled properly (amp/pre selection, pure silver speaker cables, etc.).

But when you hit that sweet spot - omg there are few tweeters that are as dynamic, pure, and powerful as that one. Not to mention zero fatigue. The nice thing about the Utopia series is they have a dB switch on the back to calm it down or heat it up.

I'd certainly go for the 38s - the extra woofer is not a bad thing.

BeerCan 02-19-2015 01:27 PM

Found a place to demo these in the next couple of weeks so that is good. I am eagerly wanting to replace the speakers I am using with the Luxman. The Shahinans I am using sound great but I am wanting something a little more efficient that also dig a little deeper. I want to try and avoid the use of subs

scirica 02-19-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerCan (Post 676237)
Found a place to demo these in the next couple of weeks so that is good. I am eagerly wanting to replace the speakers I am using with the Luxman. The Shahinans I am using sound great but I am wanting something a little more efficient that also dig a little deeper. I want to try and avoid the use of subs

Be sure to let us know what you think. I'll probably spend a little more time in my friend's 2 channel room with with 1028be's this weekend. I know he's already looking for a way to help me trade up from my Aria 948's!

fje00 02-22-2015 05:13 PM

I own the 1028be. I've had them for a few months now and just love them. I upgraded from 1008. I had demoed the 1008s and compared against several brands in store including B&W, Sonus Faber, Thiel. The 1008s busted my budget at the time, but they blew me away. the Be tweeter was quite the standout. I couldn't afford them, but went home with them anyway.

I run the 1028s with Simaudio Moon electronics, and Nordost Frey interconnects and speaker cable. The 1028s are not harsh in my setup.

fje00 02-22-2015 07:49 PM

I own the 1028be. I've had them for a few months now and just love them. I upgraded from 1008. I had demoed the 1008s and compared against several brands in store including B&W, Sonus Faber, Thiel. The 1008s busted my budget at the time, but they blew me away. the Be tweeter was quite the standout. I couldn't afford them, but went home with them anyway.

I run the 1028s with Simaudio Moon electronics, and Nordost Frey interconnects and speaker cable. The 1028s are not harsh in my setup.

BeerCan 02-22-2015 10:42 PM

fje00 thanks for that info. I can't wait to demo them.
Do you ever use them at low, conversation level, listening? If so could you tell me how they behave?