AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tubes & Valves (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Cryogenically treated vacuum tubes (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=32549)

sander 07-31-2015 03:15 AM

Cryogenically treated vacuum tubes

Hee Everybody,

Does anyone here has first hand experience with Cryogenically treated tubes?

If so, does it make a difference?

I'm thinking of ordering a set of 6550c for my Audio Research Ref 3 preamp.
Now i see the possibility to Cryogenically treat the tubes.
I've heard great improvements on Cryogenically treated cables, so i wonder if tubes would also benefit.

Sander.

oddeophile 07-31-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sander (Post 717130)
Hee Everybody, Does anyone here has first hand experience with Cryogenically treated tubes? If so, does it make a difference? I'm thinking of ordering a set of 6550c for my Audio Research Ref 3 preamp. Now i see the possibility to Cryogenically treat the tubes. I've heard great improvements on Cryogenically treated cables, so i wonder if tubes would also benefit. Sander.

No direct involvement. I don't do it. There is a great write up on the tube stores website about this. I won't say anything about what I have heard either way to sway you. I would contact Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio to discuss first and read the report on it.

Bill Stevenson 08-05-2015 10:33 AM

It is tough to argue with someone who claims to hear a difference with something like this. I personally can hear no difference. As an engineer I can tell you that there should be no difference assuming that the rate of cool down and warm up is slow so the tubes are not damaged by the cryrogenic treatment. Because of my training, however, there is always a chance that there is bias in my judgement. Meaning I am hearing, or in this case not hearing, exactly what my preconceived notion causes me to expect to hear. If you are so inclined, why not buy two sets of tubes, one treated and one not, to decide what you hear? I would be interested in your opinion.

jdandy 08-05-2015 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Stevenson (Post 718231)
It is tough to argue with someone who claims to hear a difference with something like this. I personally can hear no difference. As an engineer I can tell you that there should be no difference assuming that the rate of cool down and warm up is slow so the tubes are not damaged by the cryrogenic treatment. Because of my training, however, there is always a chance that there is bias in my judgement. Meaning I am hearing, or in this case not hearing, exactly what my preconceived notion causes me to expect to hear. If you are so inclined, why not buy two sets of tubes, one treated and one not, to decide what you hear? I would be interested in your opinion.

Bill.......:goodpost:

ehoove 08-05-2015 08:30 PM

I bought a pair pf EH 6H30 cyro tubes for my ARC LS16MkII and have been happy with them over the stock tubes that came with the preamp, but have no idea how many hours were on the stock tubes, but the new tubes sounded better from the start and now sound amazing (331 hours)
Regards,
Jim

tima 08-05-2015 11:55 PM

I compared a quad of cryo-treated 6H30-EB against a quad of the same without the cryo-treatment in an ARC Ref Phono 2. I did not hear a difference. Worth noting: the claim made for the cryo-treated tubes was more in terms of longevity than sonics.

Tubes might benefit from cryo-treatment but I would not pay extra for it.

crwilli 08-05-2015 11:59 PM

Cryo must be better! Buy that Liquid Nitrogen! ;)

harri009 08-06-2015 05:40 AM

I was told that it helps quicken the breakin time of the tubes. I have never compared though.

Harlequin 08-06-2015 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehoove (Post 718357)
I bought a pair pf EH 6H30 cyro tubes for my ARC LS16MkII and have been happy with them over the stock tubes that came with the preamp, but have no idea how many hours were on the stock tubes, but the new tubes sounded better from the start and now sound amazing (331 hours)
Regards,
Jim

Most interesting Jim, I tried a set of the same in my then incombent REf5SE, and whilst smoother that the factory set I also found them ( over approx 10 hours run time) a tad diffuse in the upper registers, slightly veiling of micro detail, which surprised me somewhat.
Ultimately I prefered to run with factory 6H30's whilst tailoring the presentation with various NOS 6550's.

However, your post may prompt me to give them another, longer, run out in the REF150.

Jasper.

Bill Stevenson 08-06-2015 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 718248)
Bill.......:goodpost:

Thank you sir!