AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Boulder Electronics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   New Boulder 866 Integrated Amp ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46830)

frequentflyer 11-03-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 984544)
Boulder only does black as a custom order for a significant upcharge. They do all their own machining of the billet aluminum in house, and black requires sending it out to be anodized. They discourage it.

Saw some of their products in black, its worth it.

Mouse 01-06-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 982371)
No volume knob, I believe it will be all controlled by app or remote. We saw this in progress when a group of us visited Boulder during RMAF. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I’ll say it does look better in person. If I recall, the design of the cooling fins promotes upward air movement through them (don’t ask me how).

There is no remote available for it, but there is supposed to be an android app, no apple iphone app yet.
And it looks a lot better in person, I agree with this.
I'm disappointed in no knob, no XLR outputs to push to a headphone amp, and no headphone jack.

ghasley 05-19-2020 11:33 AM

The first review seems to have hit the shelves so to speak. I have heard this amplifier. It is smoother and ever so slightly warmer than I expected. The built in dac is far better than I expected and the vice like grip on the Wilson Sasha speakers I heard it driving was a complete surprise. Simply amazing at its price point.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/...866-integrated

ghasley 05-19-2020 11:37 AM

The unit I experienced had a remote that is through a usb “dongle” and I used an iphone and an ipad to control it through its app. Its a very nice integrated and thats from a perspective of a person who once owned an ARC GSI75 and a Nagra Classic integrated and currently own ARC ref pre and amp. Very nice indeed. Its likely a game changer for the $20,000 and under integrated category.

Nikko 05-21-2020 10:53 AM

Why boulder devices have only balanced connectors?

ghasley 05-23-2020 09:23 AM

Because balanced is a superior connection in virtually every measurable way. Noise rejection, etc. Single ended adapters are available that enable the use of single ended cables.

aardvarkbark 05-26-2020 09:57 PM

I'd like to hear this against Moon 700i V2, Diablo 300, PASS INT-250, in the 175+ watts per channel integrated category.

ghasley 05-27-2020 10:25 AM

More finessed than the Pass, I can’t speak to the others. Ive not been moved to demo Simaudio but that experience was years ago. The int250 is an older design now in 2020 and I suspect Pass has new models forthcoming. The 866 is pretty special as I wasn’t smitten when I demoed the 865 years ago. There is so much wonderful gear available these days, we are truly fortunate to have so many viable choices.

aardvarkbark 05-27-2020 12:54 PM

I've had the INT-250 for 3+ years and very happy with it. But so many integrateds, such little time as I sail into my mid-60s with an itch for 'something different' for really no reason other than it's been 3+ years now.

Can you expand on your comment 'more finessed than the Pass' please? I don't understand what that means.

ghasley 05-27-2020 04:54 PM

Hi aardvarkbark. A disclaimer to begin, the Pass is a great amp. We each have different preferences, speakers, rooms, optimal volume levels, etc, etc. I could live happily ever after with the Pass. I preferred the Boulder and I enjoy ARC ref tube gear as well. You are correct, finesse is very subjective. I encourage you to go and listen when you are able with familiar gear, etc. You may not agree for your tastes. To use a car analogy, the Pass is like a Corvette at idle and the Boulder is like a Porsche. When you goose the throttle, the Boulder is actually quite surprising. At modest volume levels, to my ears, it is very rich and then a dynamic snap hits you when you weren't expecting it. Always absolutely composed. YMMV