AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Video (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Sony XBR77A9G (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46396)

PHC1 12-05-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stahle (Post 1024044)
Which one would you recommend because I might want to get a larger tv this coming year? Is the Sony one of the best?

LG or Sony. Can't go wrong. They are 1st or 2nd and swap places year to year.

bart 12-05-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1024051)
LG or Sony. Can't go wrong. They are 1st or 2nd and swap places year to year.

Samsung, Panasonic and Philips also get very good reviews.
Sharp a bit less.

prepress 12-05-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1024030)
We still have our 50" and 60" Kuros going (very) strong.
No intention to change them, we simply don't watch enough TV/Netflix/Blu-rays.
For quite a long time, I didn't find the newer TVs better than our Kuro.
But since really good 4K TVs are being produced, I have to admit they clearly beat our beloved Pioneers.
Just like FRO, I secretly sometimes hope our Kuro will die to try out a 65" OLED... :D

I was there for about a year, maybe a bit more. I get it, believe me!

prepress 01-09-2021 07:15 AM

For the audio, I find the "Music" mode works best so far. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, and I like it. Brightness is set to 15, which does well in my not-so-bright room; I got away with the 10 setting, but on some material thought it should be turned up a bit. Everything related to any audio sync is turned off. In fact, anything I don't need is turned off (or will be, if I find one I missed).

May play with settings more eventually, but I am liking these settings so far.

robfine 01-09-2021 11:50 AM

I have a Panasonic 50” plasma in what used to be my library and is now my wife’s office [I took over my daughter’s bedroom when she graduated and move to NYC for a new job]. In my new room I have an LG OLED 65 CX. The sound on the Panasonic started to go but not the picture so I got my wife a JBL Bluetooth speaker which has worked out great (the LG’s sound mostly comes through KT-120 tubes). The LG’s picture is really incredible. That said, the Panasonic’s picture is not a lesser one. The color is right up there with the LG but the resolution is a big less sharp (not necessarily a bad thing, especially on movies). A really good but imperfect analogy would be comparing really good SS with really good (and non-syruppy) tubes. Neither one is lacking, just a touch different. When I am watching one I don’t feel the need to switch to the other.

Dynophile 02-08-2021 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRO (Post 1023096)
I'm sure it is just a setting on the new TV's, but I've seen a few friends' and I just cannot stand that "soap opera" effect on many.
Doesn't even look like a move!

The soap opera effect on these new OLEDs is why I still keep my Kuro. I love that organic and film like picture on the Kuro. It's a real treat when watching a movie feels like a movie. Even the newest Marvel movies look like film on a Kuro. Despite all this praise I have for the Kuro, sometimes I am torn because my Kuro only has a 50 inch screen size.

W9TR 02-09-2021 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynophile (Post 1031902)
The soap opera effect on these new OLEDs is why I still keep my Kuro. I love that organic and film like picture on the Kuro. It's a real treat when watching a movie feels like a movie. Even the newest Marvel movies look like film on a Kuro. Despite all this praise I have for the Kuro, sometimes I am torn because my Kuro only has a 50 inch screen size.

I’ve seen the soap opera effect on pretty much every LCD TV I’ve seen lately, but never on an OLED. Must be mis-calibrated or confusing Damsung’s QLED marketing BS for OLED.

Dynophile 02-09-2021 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1031908)
I’ve seen the soap opera effect on pretty much every LCD TV I’ve seen lately, but never on an OLED. Must be mis-calibrated or confusing Damsung’s QLED marketing BS for OLED.

It was definitely an OLED. Can't remember if it was LG or Sony. They were playing Guardians of the Galaxy on 4K disc. Black levels were superb in their demo loop.
I was watching the soap opera effect in disbelief thinking it had to be a calibration issue.
Of course it was at Best Buy/Magnolia and I don't think they properly calibrate their displays.

edit- I don't mean to say anything too negative about Best Buy/Magnolia. I bought my two Pioneer Elite plasmas from them. Just I wouldn't use their geek squad to calibrate my tvs.

doggiehowser 02-09-2021 02:18 AM

You can definitely disable the frame interpolation - or you can use the black frame insertion to keep the 24fps look

Dynophile 02-09-2021 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 1031912)
You can definitely disable the frame interpolation - or you can use the black frame insertion to keep the 24fps look

Great. Thank you. I will keep this recommendation in mind next time I'm looking at an OLED.