AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   ModWright Instruments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Oppo BDP 95 Modwright ! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9928)

Doug Lax 09-13-2011 01:48 PM

Oppo BDP 95 Modwright !

Does anyone have one of these what are your impressions.... I bet it is wicked !:yes::thumbsup:

JJinID 09-13-2011 02:33 PM

I will have my tube-modded Modwright 95 very soon - it's all ready to go outside of waiting for a digital input mod to be completed and installed. I posted about my status (in the context of the MVP881 thread) here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...tml#post204170

In the meantime I am continuing to enjoy my ModWright BDP-83 with the full solid-state mods which sounds excellent! :music: I do expect the higher end tube mods combined with the Sabre 32 reference dacs in the 95 to be fantastic and even better! :yes:

rnrmf1971 09-17-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 204650)
I will have my tube-modded Modwright 95 very soon - it's all ready to go outside of waiting for a digital input mod to be completed and installed. I posted about my status (in the context of the MVP881 thread) here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...tml#post204170

In the meantime I am continuing to enjoy my ModWright BDP-83 with the full solid-state mods which sounds excellent! :music: I do expect the higher end tube mods combined with the Sabre 32 reference dacs in the 95 to be fantastic and even better! :yes:

Wow! I'm really curious about how this changes the sound of the player. I've never heard a player as transparent as the BDP95. From my perspective it just needs a little bit of musicality to improve it. By musicality, I mean some kind of seductiveness/richness to really draw you in. The way it reveals details in recordings is something I've never heard before. I've been considering the Modwright mods, but don't want to lose that resolving quality of the player, either.

So you're going to receive a player with an added digital input? Did you get the upgraded cord between the power supply and player, too?

I can't wait to hear feedback on how your 95 turns out!

JJinID 09-17-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 206107)
Wow! I'm really curious about how this changes the sound of the player. I've never player as transparent as the BDP95. From my perspective it just needs a little bit of musicality to improve it. By musicality, I mean some kind of seductiveness/richness to really draw you in. The way it reveals details in recordings is something I've never heard before. I've been considering the Modwright mods, but don't want to lose that resolving quality of the player, either.

Everything I have heard from Dan and read is that the mods do exactly as you describe while maintaining if not increasing resolution. Here is Dan's description of the differences between stock 95 and his mods:

"What jumps right out at me is the increased soundstage depth and width. Secondly, the low-level information and aural cues are simply much more apparent with the modified unit. Detail and resolution excel with the modified unit, over stock, and stock is GOOD! The key differences are resolution, micro-detail/dynamics, decay and a natural ‘ease’ to the music."

My understanding is that Dan will be doing A/B comparisons of the stock 95 vs. the ModWright 95 at RMAF - I look forward to hearing the reports back from that from those who attend.

Quote:

So you're going to receive a player with an added digital input? Did you get the upgraded cord between the power supply and player, too?
Yes and Yes! :yes:

Quote:

I can't wait to hear feedback on how your 95 turns out!
I will let everyone know when I receive it and will definitely share my impressions! :music:

rnrmf1971 09-17-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 206256)
I will let everyone know when I receive it and will definitely share my impressions! :music:

Awesome! Good luck with it and I hope you get it soon!

djwhog 09-17-2011 05:02 PM

It should be great, i am next on the list to get done as well.

RoyMercer 09-30-2011 09:04 PM

Modwright BDP-Mod - Bybee rails

My BDP-95 Modwright mod is scheduled for the middle of Oct. Tell them to hurry up on yours so I can get mine done! :D

Did you also opt for the Bybee rail mod(s)? I am still debating if I am going to have them installed. If I do, I was thinking of only doing it for the 2 ch DAC. I am doing the SS MCH mod and the tube mod. I have bright speakers and at times I do notice a harsh edge on the MCH output, even with movies. What do you guys think on the Bybee rails?

Masterlu 10-01-2011 12:12 AM

RoyMercer... Welcome! :wave:

JJinID 10-01-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMercer (Post 211274)
My BDP-95 Modwright mod is scheduled for the middle of Oct. Tell them to hurry up on yours so I can get mine done! :D

Did you also opt for the Bybee rail mod(s)? I am still debating if I am going to have them installed. If I do, I was thinking of only doing it for the 2 ch DAC. I am doing the SS MCH mod and the tube mod. I have bright speakers and at times I do notice a harsh edge on the MCH output, even with movies. What do you guys think on the Bybee rails?

Welcome RoyMercer!

I believe the Bybee rails will be a worthwhile option and I had them done on mine! :yes: The SS muti-channel mods should smooth things out for you :thumbsup:

RoyMercer 10-01-2011 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info! Have you received your BDP-95 back from the mod yet?

MyPal 10-04-2011 05:59 AM

I hope this mod goes well for you all & look forward to reading about the perceived improvements.

While the ModWright mods are of particular interest to me, I have some reservations in relation to the tacking of a 2Ch tube output stage at the end for a little sound colorisation. In addition to tethering an umbilical to an external analogue power stage to power the thing...

In relation to the ModWright 2CH tube mod, I gather the output stage is associated with L/R (XLR or RCA). The Oppo now allows for the L/R to be assigned to MC instead of using FL/FR. This means that both DACs are utilised for MC equating to even superior D/A. So, how does the 2CH tube mod fit in with the new capability which was introduced with the recent firmware update? Does this mean that there will also be additional benefits derived from the tube output stage for MC analogue material in addition to 2CH?

I have been informed by another company that performs mods to BDP-95s here in Australia that the main considerations for improvement are:
  1. Both the analogue & switching power stages. Replacement of the switching power stage in particular for better performance & reliability.
  2. Replacement of Caps & Resistors with military grade equivalents.
  3. Replacement & reduction of op-amp stages.
  4. Chassis & transport dampening.

I have also been informed that any Australian BDP-95 with this particular Australian company's mod sticker on it will not be void of warranty!

Lastly, they also claim that the Australian modified Oppo BDP-95 will give a MCD1100 a good run for its money.

I will be in a position to perform side-by-side 2CH comparisons with an Oz modified BDP-95 against a MCD1100 in the coming months & will post my perspective.

RoyMercer 10-04-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Both the analogue & switching power stages. Replacement of the switching power stage in particular for better performance & reliability.
Replacement of Caps & Resistors with military grade equivalents.
Replacement & reduction of op-amp stages.
Chassis & transport dampening.
It is my understanding that the above is also done with the SS Modwright mod. The op-amps used with the MCH-outputs are completely removed.

You are correct, if your primary concern is the multi channel output. If someone is all about MCH movies then I agree that the MCH mod is the way to go because of the reason you stated utilizing the two DAC’s. I would not want to run my tube output in surround for the fact that the two front channels will sound different than the rest. If you want the player to have the best 2-ch output, the tube mod is the way to go. If someone wants to say that the tubes just add some color, I would place this person in what I will call the SS person category. A tube person will speak much different. I won’t beat a dead horse with the tube vs. SS argument but I can tell you that I have used some expensive amplifiers with my Klipsch horns and my tube amp sounds better. I am sure the speakers have something to do with this but regardless, in my set-up and IMO, my Bob Latino ST-120 tube amp sounds better than many amps I tried costing 2-4 times. My Jolida JD 100a tube output cd player sounds much more musical to me than my stock BDP-95. My Luxman D-105u tubed CD player sounds better (not as good as my Jolida) than my stock BDP-95. Maybe it is my speakers. Maybe I just prefer the sound of tubes better. I have high hopes that after my OPPO mod is complete, it will sound better than my Jolida. I will keep everyone posted.

JJinID 10-04-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMercer (Post 211629)
Thanks for the info! Have you received your BDP-95 back from the mod yet?

I'm expecting an update on the progress of the digital input mod from Dan after RMAF. It's possible that those who aren't waiting for that could have their units back from ModWright before I do.

"The Waiting Is The Hardest Part"...to quote Tom Petty - but I know it will be worth it! :music:

JJinID 10-04-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPal (Post 212415)
I hope this mod goes well for you all & look forward to reading about the perceived improvements.

While the ModWright mods are of particular interest to me, I have some reservations in relation to the tacking of a 2Ch tube output stage at the end for a little sound colorisation. In addition to tethering an umbilical to an external analogue power stage to power the thing...

In relation to the ModWright 2CH tube mod, I gather the output stage is associated with L/R (XLR or RCA). The Oppo now allows for the L/R to be assigned to MC instead of using FL/FR. This means that both DACs are utilised for MC equating to even superior D/A. So, how does the 2CH tube mod fit in with the new capability which was introduced with the recent firmware update? Does this mean that there will also be additional benefits derived from the tube output stage for MC analogue material in addition to 2CH?

I have been informed by another company that performs mods to BDP-95s here in Australia that the main considerations for improvement are:
  1. Both the analogue & switching power stages. Replacement of the switching power stage in particular for better performance & reliability.
  2. Replacement of Caps & Resistors with military grade equivalents.
  3. Replacement & reduction of op-amp stages.
  4. Chassis & transport dampening.

I have also been informed that any Australian BDP-95 with this particular Australian company's mod sticker on it will not be void of warranty!

Lastly, they also claim that the Australian modified Oppo BDP-95 will give a MCD1100 a good run for its money.

I will be in a position to perform side-by-side 2CH comparisons with an Oz modified BDP-95 against a MCD1100 in the coming months & will post my perspective.

MyPal,

It sounds like the Australian mod might be a subset of the ModWright solid state mods that can be done on both 2-channel and multi-channel outputs of the BDP-95. It could be a good way to go for you since the mod would be performed "in country" and if it continues to carry the manufacturers warranty for the Austalian version of the player that is a plus as well.

If you are interested in pursuing the tube mods from ModWright I would suggest you give Dan a call and have him answer your questions and address your concerns. Dan has been perfecting the tubs mods with the dedicated outboard power supply and umbilical for several years across multiple platforms and I do not have any reservations about the quality, durability, or performance of that setup. I also don't think the tube mod is there "at the end for a little sound colorisation" as you describe at all - it is meant to add the benefits of tubes (smoothness, richness, and musicality) while maintaining if not improving detail and accuracy.

The recent firmware update that allows reassignment of the LF/LR outputs to the dedicated balanced and unbalanced 2-ch outputs raises some interesting possibilities for the analog multi-channel output of the player. I would expect the tube outputs on the ModWright player to add to the sound quality in that configuration. I will have to evaluate how I want to utilize that feature when I receive my unit back.

Good luck with whatever decision you go with and please report back on your findings and impressions :thumbsup:

MyPal 10-04-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 212464)
MyPal,
I would expect the tube outputs on the ModWright player to add to the sound quality in that configuration. I will have to evaluate how I want to utilize that feature when I receive my unit back.

Good luck with whatever decision you go with and please report back on your findings and impressions :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan. Shall look forward to your perspective but do have the same concerns as Roy below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMercer (Post 212464)
I would not want to run my tube output in surround for the fact that the two front channels will sound different than the rest.

I would have to agree with you here Roy. I would be primarily using the BDP-95 for MC because I have a dedicated 2CH transport.

Please don't get me wrong, I am all for tube with the right implementation. I have MC2301s & C1000C/T on the way!

I'm guessing that you may be able to do some comparison by running some 2CH material followed by some MC material down-mixed .i.e. listening via L/R & then FL/FR.

JJinID 10-04-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPal (Post 212672)
Thanks Dan. Shall look forward to your perspective but do have the same concerns as Roy below.

I would have to agree with you here Roy. I would be primarily using the BDP-95 for MC because I have a dedicated 2CH transport.

Please don't get me wrong, I am all for tube with the right implementation. I have MC2301s & C1000C/T on the way!

I'm guessing that you may be able to do some comparison by running some 2CH material followed by some MC material down-mixed .i.e. listening via L/R & then FL/FR.

My bigger concern from running the 2-ch tube output for movies/surround would be the extra time on the tubes when it's not really needed. My guess is that it will sound better in that configuration vs. different. We will find out soon!

cmalak 10-04-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 212697)
We will find out soon!

Jeff...do you have an ETA?

JJinID 10-04-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 212706)
Jeff...do you have an ETA?

Cyril - Dan will be back in touch with me after RMAF. My best estimate is late this month to early November for the digital input mod to be done.

MyPal 10-04-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 212714)
Cyril - Dan will be back in touch with me after RMAF. My best estimate is late this month to early November for the digital input mod to be done.

Do you know how they propose to manage the input source? I suppose it would have to be a mechanical switch of sorts as they have no control over the firmware.

RoyMercer 10-04-2011 10:57 PM

"My guess is that it will sound better in that configuration vs. different."

I wonder if a different amp / pre-amp will effect surround sound just as not timber matching your speakers will?

"My bigger concern from running the 2-ch tube output for movies/surround would be the extra time on the tubes when it's not really needed."

I would not be as concerned with this as I would using my main amp. The pre-amp tubes will last a lot longer. I have played my Luxman CD player thousands of hours since the middle 1990s. The last time I changed the tubes was in 1995 and they still sound fairly good. However it does have a pre-heater that will extend the tube life and like you said, not really needed. I can't see tubes making a movie sound track sound enough better to warrant the tube wear. Especially if we are using expensive NOS tubes.
Maybe MCH SACD and / or DVD-A...

I went with the tube mod and all out SS mod. Still teetering if I am going to spend the extra cost for the Bybee rails.

You guys are absolutely correct on one thing, we will soon find out. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! It will be interesting to hear others feedback using different amps , speakers, etc.

RoyMercer 10-04-2011 11:08 PM

"I have MC2301s & C1000C/T on the way!"

Sweet! What 2-ch speakers will you use with your wonderful MC2301’s?

JJinID 10-04-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPal (Post 212718)
Do you know how they propose to manage the input source? I suppose it would have to be a mechanical switch of sorts as they have no control over the firmware.

Your assumption on how the digital input selection will work is correct based on what I understand - it will be a mechanical switch on the back of the unit unless something has changed in that regard.

I am very excited of having the prospect of using this player as a true universal BDP + DAC!! :yes:

cmalak 10-04-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 212714)

Thx Jeff...looking forward to hear all about it. Thx

MyPal 10-05-2011 03:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMercer (Post 212723)
I have MC2301s & C1000C/T on the way!

Sweet! What 2-ch speakers will you use with your wonderful MC2301’s?

I have Dali Grands. They're shaped like the bodice of a woman. I prefer to listen to them naked. :D

The Grands are five-driver speakers, each containing two rear-firing ports, two eight-inch woofers, two five-inch midrange drivers, and a slightly-larger-than-one-inch modified silk dome tweeter. With a sensitivity of 90dB and a nominal 4-ohm impedance that drops to no more than 3.2 ohms. They are sixteen inches deep and over forty-six inches high. They weigh about 50 kg/110 lb ea. They were replaced by the Euphonias.

Specs are as follows:

Frequency Response: 33Hz-27KHz
Impedence: 4ohms
Bass reflex System Resonance 27, 5 Hz
Crossover: 600Hz, 4.0kHz
Sensitivity 2,83V: 90
Max SPL: 115db
Power Rating: 50-500w (They are on the hungry side.)

I have matching Dali Grand Vocal centre. I am currently searching for a pair of Dali Grand Coupes in Cherry at least 8/10+ to replace the rears. Finding them hard to come by on the 2nd hand market. Nothing on Audiogon.

The Grands are not well known but highly regarded. They also go pretty low. I personally think they perform better than Dali Euphonia MS4. Some have compared them to B&W 802s. I can't say b/c I haven't had the opportunity to compare.

I guess the MC2301s will drive the Grands to their musical limit & then some. Perhaps at some stage in the future I will want something even more revealing...

The photos are stock images, cherry & rouge. there was also a piano black. The cherry darkens & develops a lovely patina over time.

(Anyway....now off topic)

RoyMercer 10-05-2011 10:35 AM

"My guess is that it will sound better in that configuration vs. different."

I wonder if a different amp / pre-amp will effect surround sound just as not timber matching your speakers will?

"My bigger concern from running the 2-ch tube output for movies/surround would be the extra time on the tubes when it's not really needed."

I would not be as concerned with this as I would using my main amp. The pre-amp tubes will last a lot longer. I have played my Luxman CD player thousands of hours since the middle 1990s. The last time I changed the tubes was in 1995 and they still sound fairly good. However it does have a pre-heater that will extend the tube life and like you said, not really needed. I can't see tubes making a movie sound track sound enough better to warrant the tube wear. Especially if we are using expensive NOS tubes.
Maybe MCH SACD and / or DVD-A...

I went with the tube mod and all out SS mod. Still teetering if I am going to spend the extra cost for the Bybee rails.

You guys are absolutely correct on one thing, we will soon find out. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! It will be interesting to hear others feedback using different amps , speakers, etc.

rnrmf1971 10-05-2011 06:33 PM

Just curious, where did you guys find out about the availability of things like Bybee rails and the digital input mod? Early on, I recall the digital input mod was advertised as coming soon, but are there other options available as well?

djwhog 10-05-2011 06:53 PM

I think Dan can send you a link to the details on those mods.

TommyC 10-05-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 212953)
Just curious, where did you guys find out about the availability of things like Bybee rails and the digital input mod? Early on, I recall the digital input mod was advertised as coming soon, but are there other options available as well?

You have a PM.

mjalazard 10-07-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 211328)
Welcome RoyMercer!

I believe the Bybee rails will be a worthwhile option and I had them done on mine! :yes: The SS muti-channel mods should smooth things out for you :thumbsup:

Where did you have the Music Rails installed? I have Dan's Tube-Modified BPD-83 SE and I am interested in the Bybee Music Rails.
Mike

JJinID 10-07-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjalazard (Post 213759)
Where did you have the Music Rails installed? I have Dan's Tube-Modified BPD-83 SE and I am interested in the Bybee Music Rails.
Mike

My understanding is that Dan installed the Bybee Rails on a critical voltage of the DAC power supply. Dan has had my player for a while as I await the digital input mod to be finalized and he just replied to one of my emails and said he wanted to test this out on my player. He said the mod is worthwhile and I definitely trust him on that! :yes:

I'm sure if you contacted him he could let you know if it could be done on your 83SE as well and you could make a decision if it is worth the cost/benefit. I'll be interested to hear what you find out!

jdandy 10-16-2011 12:27 AM

Jeff.......This mod sure seems to be taking a long time to be completed. The long wait is kind of off putting in my opinion. Why does it take so long to install this modification?

TommyC 10-16-2011 12:49 AM

I believe Dan is attending RMAF. He might be very busy preparing gears for showing / lending out.

JJinID 10-16-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 216816)
Jeff.......This mod sure seems to be taking a long time to be completed. The long wait is kind of off putting in my opinion. Why does it take so long to install this modification?

Your question is very fair Dan. The primary modifications to my player with the 2-channel tube mods and the solid state mods to the multi-channel outputs were completed at the end of June. I also wanted to have an additional mod to allow for a digital input to be added to the player so it can be used as a DAC, much like the MCD500/1100 is set up to do. This mod was discussed in concept by Dan Wright for this player as well as the Sony 5400 mods but never officially advertised as a production offering. Dan W let me know at that time that the additional digital input mod would be another 2-3 months at least to finalize. He gave me the choice to receive my player without the digital input mod and send it back in later for an update or to just leave it with him. I am always wary of having to do any more shipping back and forth than absolutely necessary so I agreed to wait for it.

I have stayed in contact with Dan W every few weeks regarding status and timeline and he stated he will be finalizing the mod after this weekend when he finishes RMAF. He has been great about answering my questions and communicating with me.

In hindsight I probably would have gone ahead and received the unit back without the digital input mod back in June and sent it back in later as I am very excited to hear how it sounds, and it is taking a bit longer than I had hoped. I fortunately have my modified Oppo 83 to listen to which sounds terrific, and better than the stock 95.

For those who are ordering the advertised tube and/or solid state mods for the Oppo from Dan, the turnaround time is only a couple of weeks once you are notified to send in your unit. That is why I have said that for those on this board who have sent their units in for the primary mods might get them back before I do.

So a long answer Dan to your question, but I hope that gives the background of my situation and the choices I have made. I believe my wait will be worth it in the long run to have the additional digital input mod functionality! :yes:

jdandy 10-16-2011 01:17 PM

Jeff.......I appreciate the detailed reply. I now understand the time line. I did not realize the lastest digital input mod you requested was not a fully developed concept when you placed the order. A two week turnaround is quite satisfactory for the tube modification. I just could not figure out why the work was turning into months of waiting. Thanks.

Rafale 10-16-2011 01:46 PM

this is great and exemplary Alberto, congrats
It seems that you found the Holy Grail, the synergy between your room, your speakers, your electronics and your musical tastes, this quest can gobble up a colossal sum of money and last a whole life without ever succeeding......

Rafale 10-16-2011 01:49 PM

sorry wrong thread, it is for the green.....Anybody can move it ?

z06gal 10-25-2011 11:14 PM

Looking forward to hearing what you think when you receive it Jeff. I am going to have the same mods done to mine.

Robin

asindc 10-26-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 204650)

Will that be a coaxial or optical digital input?

JJinID 10-27-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asindc (Post 220562)
Will that be a coaxial or optical digital input?

Coaxial for sure, potentially options for RCA/BNC, and XLR as well. I will know more shortly...

JJinID 10-27-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06gal (Post 220375)
Looking forward to hearing what you think when you receive it Jeff. I am going to have the same mods done to mine.

Robin

Will do Robin! Keep us posted on your status and timing! :thumbsup: