AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Spendor & Castle (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2331)

gregswaim 10-06-2009 09:18 PM

Spendor & Castle

2 Attachment(s)
I use Spendor S8e's for my digital playback system & Castle Acoustics Warwick 3's for my analog playback system. Anyone else have either of these brands in their system(s)?

Spendor Audio Systems

Warwick 3 - Classic Series - Castle

jdandy 10-06-2009 09:20 PM

Greg.......Cool, you got the first post in the new Speaker Forum. Now we can chat about Spendors, and anything else that comes down the pike. I like it.

gregswaim 10-06-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 40510)
Greg.......Cool, you got the first post in the new Speaker Forum. Now we can chat about Spendors, and anything else that comes down the pike. I like it.

I don't think that many have these or know the history behind either of these brands. The Spendor BC-1 was rather famous among certain circles & of course was a BBC monitor for about a decade or so. Both companies have been around since the early 70's.

I think that I've matched amp/speakers extremely well with my 2 setups,IMO. :D

jdandy 10-06-2009 09:36 PM

Greg.......Spendor has a rich history as a company. There are quite a few great speaker manufacturers in Great Britain. PMC comes to mind, too.

Here's a link to 6moons review of the Spendor S8e: 6moons audio reviews: Spendor S 8e

two dot 10-06-2009 09:39 PM

I have been really interested in these Spendors as well as the Harbeths...

They get great reviews and are loved by many.

My only question is... how do they manage to get SO LITTLE bass response from these speakers???

Many small monitors will equal or better the bass response from the large floor standers and stand mounts.

No criticism meant, I am really looking forward to hearing these speakers soon... Just asking

gregswaim 10-06-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot (Post 40518)
I have been really interested in these Spendors as well as the Harbeths...

They get great reviews and are loved by many.

My only question is... how do they manage to get SO LITTLE bass response from these speakers???

Many small monitors will equal or better the bass response from the large floor standers and stand mounts.

No criticism meant, I am really looking forward to hearing these speakers soon... Just asking

What makes you think that Spendors & Castles are lacking in bass? Harbeths definitely, Spendors & Castles-not in my 2 systems. :no: What speaker cable/IC's are you using? :D I have really good speaker stands for my Castles, the pixxx are somewhere on the forum.

two dot 10-06-2009 09:52 PM

Sorry Greg,

Just going by the published specs.

I am sure that the bass you are getting in you room is MUCH better than what is printed in specs.

gregswaim 10-06-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot (Post 40525)
Sorry Greg,

Just going by the published specs.

I am sure that the bass you are getting in you room is MUCH better than what is printed in specs.

The only useful specs for speakers in my opinion are the dimensions- will it fit into my listening room. :D
Audition & listening is always the most critical factor whether or not a certain speaker will work out or not.

Stereoholic 10-07-2009 07:03 PM

I own a pair of Spendor BC-1 speakers. They definitely have bass, depending on which amp is used. Have had good luck with a Sansui 9090, as well as a BGW Performance Series amp. I did not have good luck with an NAD integrated, even though I like NAD.

gregswaim 10-07-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stereoholic (Post 40679)
I own a pair of Spendor BC-1 speakers. They definitely have bass, depending on which amp is used. Have had good luck with a Sansui 9090, as well as a BGW Performance Series amp. I did not have good luck with an NAD integrated, even though I like NAD.

The BC-1's were and still are very nice speakers. I almost bought those in 1983, then I heard the Linn Sara's..... :D
Hold on to those BC-1's if you can- they're a piece of history. :yes: