AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Fine Sounds Group is now World Of McIntosh (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=33701)

crwilli 11-17-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taters (Post 741022)
This whole thing makes no sense to me. I wonder what their plans are for the other company's they own. There must be more to all this. I guess eventually we will find out.

I agree with you that this is (hopefully) one step in a larger strategy to grow. If we knew where they see their 'market' for each brand, what they view their strengths in technology and products are and how they view their competition, it might be more obvious why they have taken this step.

metaphacts 11-17-2015 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 741062)
I agree with you that this is (hopefully) one step in a larger strategy to grow. If we knew where they see their 'market' for each brand, what they view their strengths in technology and products are and how they view their competition, it might be more obvious why they have taken this step.

WOM simply takes advantage of the fact that the name and history of McIntosh are much more broadly known than ARC, Sonus faber, Wadia and Sumiko.

Think of the Swatch Group. The name is not from the highest end of the brands - that would be Breguet, BlancPain, Glasshutte, etc. The name of the group is from the most recognizable of the brands. It's all about brand recognition.

The Swatch Group - Swiss Made

Diapason 11-17-2015 10:59 AM

Is this a worldwide thing or US only? Because in my neck of the woods McIntosh would be virtually unknown, and rarely seen in the wild. ARC and Sonus Faber would be MUCH better known in audiophile circles here.

The Lost Bears 11-17-2015 11:03 AM

World of McIntosh makes it sound like McIntosh is the primary brand. Sonus Faber, ARC, Wadia and Sumiko are just their secondary brands. Like Tudor is to Rolex. Not quite in the same league as McIntosh.

With the name Fine Sounds all brands were equal. It was a collection of some of the greatest brands in high end audio. Not McIntosh and its side kicks.

The other thing that troubles me is what changes have been made. ARC use to carry parts for almost everything it ever made. This no longer seems to be the case.

metaphacts 11-17-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diapason (Post 741076)
Is this a worldwide thing or US only? Because in my neck of the woods McIntosh would be virtually unknown, and rarely seen in the wild. ARC and Sonus Faber would be MUCH better known in audiophile circles here.

McIntosh world-wide brand recognition is far greater than that for Sonus faber and ARC.

The goals of Fine Sounds and WOM are the same: bring their products to a greater audience than the aging out/dying off audiophile circles of the world.

Diapason 11-17-2015 11:45 AM

I'm sure that's true (and after all, they're the ones who have marketing guys who will have studied this!) but I'm surprised they've chosen a name that seems to alienate some of those aging out/dying off audiophiles and their brand preferences, no matter how small that circle might be. Of course, ultimately it doesn't really matter to me, but I find it an interesting decision.

BuffaloBill 11-17-2015 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 741079)

The goals of Fine Sounds and WOM are the same: bring their products to a greater audience than the aging out/dying off audiophile circles of the world.

Charlie Randall said the goal of WOM was to "allow you to fully understand how luxury audio can enhance your lifestyle". I sent a note to him to ask him what he meant by "luxury audio" but I never got a response.

JemHadar 11-17-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffaloBill (Post 741087)
Charlie Randall said the goal of WOM was to "allow you to fully understand how luxury audio can enhance your lifestyle".

Understanding, luxury and lifestyle in one sentence... Yeah, treat your customers like idiots...I think I'm going to vomit. McIntosh...legendary in alienation.

tunes 11-17-2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diapason (Post 741081)
I'm sure that's true (and after all, they're the ones who have marketing guys who will have studied this!) but I'm surprised they've chosen a name that seems to alienate some of those aging out/dying off audiophiles and their brand preferences, no matter how small that circle might be. Of course, ultimately it doesn't really matter to me, but I find it an interesting decision.

I have been thinking the same. McIntosh is also only known by aging audiophiles and their retro design cues reinforce this. Fine Sounds made sense to me for all brands. If they really had to pick one, I would have thought Sonus Faber could step up to that role as they are broadening the product line at cheaper price points and modern design aesthetic.

KMC45 11-17-2015 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 741079)
McIntosh world-wide brand recognition is far greater than that for Sonus faber and ARC.

Aging out/dying off, a perfect way to describe most of us.:roflmao: