AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   XR200 Speakers.....Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2597)

jdandy 11-09-2009 06:59 PM

XR200 Speakers.....Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

I plan to audition the McIntosh XR200 speaker. I have never heard, or seen the XR200. Hopefully my local McIntosh dealer will have a pair set up for demo, otherwise I may have to travel to locate a demo pair. My only exposure to the XR200 has been through this forum, reading member's comments and viewing photos, plus the McIntosh website.

So, dear members, here's your opportunity. Encourage me to purchase a pair by telling why I should own them, and what they can offer me that other speakers cannot within its price range. On the flip side if you'd like, discourage me from considering the XR200 speakers by telling me what you don't like about them, what they cannot do that other speakers can do within this price range.

Here's your chance to offer me some advice. Is it a :thumbsup: , or is it a :icon_thumbsdown: for the McIntosh XR200 speakers.

Dj_AmTraX 11-09-2009 07:03 PM

I wish I could provide some input, but I can't audition it because I'm afraid I may end up buying them. With the wedding coming up & me being unemployed, my girlfriend would KILL me!

jdandy 11-09-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX (Post 46876)
I wish I could provide some input, but I can't audition it because I'm afraid I may end up buying them. With the wedding coming up & me being unemployed, my girlfriend would KILL me!

DJ.......Maybe you need a new girlfriend. :D

Masterlu 11-09-2009 07:21 PM

I may be jaded, but I was so impressed with the XR200 I shipped a pair up to the Cape to replace my family room's XLS360's.

Before I could get them out of the box I had an aggressive buyer that paid retail. I then got busy in the Basement, and you know the rest of the story.

I'll sum up my listening impression "Best in Class" :thumbsup:

Taylode 11-09-2009 07:24 PM

Having never heard them I can't recommend one way or the other; however, I'm curious where they would go and what need you're trying to fill?

vintage_tube 11-09-2009 07:28 PM

What system or amp are you considering having them pushed by??

JFR0317 11-09-2009 08:00 PM

Well, Dan, you already know what I think of the XR200's, and you also know you have a standing invitation to come to Houston for a visit and to listen to mine!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jdandy 11-09-2009 08:06 PM

The XR200's are being considered for the studio tube system. I am currently enjoying the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor's and the XLS112 subwoofer with the studio tube system, and it is a satisfying musical experience. At the same time, though, I have been considering purchasing the Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento's that Serge traded in about seven months ago. His dealer still has them on the showroom floor. Serge stopped by to look at them, and reported that they are flawless. As great as the Cremona Auditor/XLS112 combination sounds, I think the level of gear in the studio tube system can offer greater rewards with different speakers, whether they are GM's, XR200's, EB1i's, or another worthy contender. The physical dimensions of a speaker are very important, as well, because the studio has limited available space. The XR200 is both slender and shallow, plus the height is not overbearing, and can easily sit in the same location as the Cremona Auditors without consuming much additional space.

Any time I ponder the financial impact of speakers beyond the $10K point, a lot of possibilities present themselves for consideration, and naturally, I wish to reap the greatest audible return for any speaker investment. This is what turned my thoughts to the XR200's. The comments from owners have been very positive, and respose from those that have auditioned the XR200 have generally been favorable and exciting. The XR200 is not the only speaker that has crossed my mind, but it is the one speaker I seem to know the least about. That is why I want to go hear a pair for myself using familiar music.

Still-One 11-09-2009 08:11 PM

If you remember I heard them at AK Fest driven by the 60th Anniversary amps and an older pair of amps from Audio Classic. At that time I noted I would hold judgement 'till I could hear them in a known environment like one of my two local dealers where I they would be driven by 501's, 1.k's or possibly 2301's. So far neither dealer has ordered a pair as far as I can tell. At AK fest I actually preferred the Snell's driven by the 7000 integrated that was set up in another room.

two dot 11-09-2009 08:39 PM

Two of my biggest concerns on this speaker is unavailability and finish problems.

I have been trying to demo them for 6 months... No luck!

Several pairs that I have heard of, have experienced finish problems...

Not a good sign.

I wish that they had a more "forgiving" finish than piano black.

Just my .02...