AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

FloridaBoy 08-22-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 721852)
1) I still don't know about the 6K6 since one of the RCA's was considerably brighter and hotter than the other. Too nervous to let them run that way. I only paid $20 for the pair. I have more expensive Visseaux 6K6 on the way and am looking forward to checking these out since the Visseaux 6V6 are so nice.

2) Don't have one. We'll see how the Visseaux' sound with the 5W4GT.

3) I briefly had a pair of Bendix "red bank" 6V6 equivalents (whatever that number was) and found them surprisingly harsh. I resold them. This discourages me from trying the expensive Bendix/Tung Sol 6AR6 equivalents, particularly since the TS6AR6 is soo nice! I will probably pick up another pair of the TS6AR6 as backup and will look for a different variant from the JAN, green print I do have.

If I'm currently tempted about something expensive, it is the "Hot Rod" 6AR6 SET that Dennis is now selling. At $1495, plus a little extra for my Jaguar Carnival Red paint choice and shipping, I SHALL RESIST!

I am going to pass on the EML 80. The Bendix tubes have a following but I'll pass. That Inspire 6AR6 amp is tempting but I like the flexibility of what I have.

Please post your 6K6 impressions when you get your Visseaux's.

I think my Tung Sol 6AR6's are finally run in and they are keepers. The pair I am using are from 1952 and I have a pair from The Tube Store that are a little later. They look the same. If I get another pair I'll try the rounded plates.

I just plugged in a Mullard metal base GZ34 with the 6AR6's and it sounds better than the with 274B. I also have a black base Bugle Boy branded GZ34 from the late 50's with the same internals, double D getters etc. It is sonically identical to the metal version. That is a little known fact. They can be branded Mullard, Adzam etc. too. So, if you want an excellent GZ34 get one of these and save some money. I'll upload a pic later. Do you know how to read the date codes? If not Google Philips tube date codes and you will find several PDF's.

I have not tried the new production Gold Lion GZ34 but it is well received. BTW, Telefunken never made a GZ34 they relabeled Philips.

FloridaBoy 08-22-2015 05:12 PM

Peter, have you tried you Philips Holland 5R4GYS with the 6AR6? That may be better than a GZ34.

pstrisik 08-22-2015 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 721892)
Peter, have you tried you Philips Holland 5R4GYS with the 6AR6? That may be better than a GZ34.

Not yet, but I do have both a Philips and a Brimar 5R4GY. I've generally preferred the Brimar, but it may be dependent on the combo with other tubes in the amp. I'll try them tonight. My favorite rectifier in the amp has been a GEC (Wycombe factory) "fat bottle" GZ37/CV378. That's what I have been running with the 6AR6 thus far.

The only 5AR4 I have is a 1969 Mullard "7 Notch". It's never grabbed me. I think I like the slightly lower powered ones.

FloridaBoy 08-22-2015 07:38 PM

The 7 notch Mullard never did it for me either. I can't say why though. I no longer have a GZ37 but do have a GZ33 and will try it..

lsquaredb 08-22-2015 08:32 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying out some loktal small signal tubes lately. These are eight pin tubes with a metal locking base that are designed for harsh applications like hanging upside down in car radios. Many octal tubes have loktal equivalents and adaptors are readily available on ebay. Loktal tunes were mostly made by Sylvania. NOS loktals are much cheaper than NOS octals. I'm using an NOS 7N7 in my LP-27 and an NOS 7AF7 in my 6L6 Inspire and am getting better sound (more smoothness and texture) than that I had with a couple of well-used 6SN7's in their place. One thing to watch out for with loktals is corrosion on the pins, but this can be cleaned off easily.

Leonard

FloridaBoy 08-22-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsquaredb (Post 721924)
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying out some loktal small signal tubes lately. These are eight pin tubes with a metal locking base that are designed for harsh applications like hanging upside down in car radios. Many octal tubes have loktal equivalents and adaptors are readily available on ebay. Loktal tunes were mostly made by Sylvania. NOS loktals are much cheaper than NOS octals. I'm using an NOS 7N7 in my LP-27 and an NOS 7AF7 in my 6L6 Inspire and am getting better sound (more smoothness and texture) than that I had with a couple of well-used 6SN7's in their place. One thing to watch out for with loktals is corrosion on the pins, but this can be cleaned off easily.

Leonard

Hi Leonard,

Is the 7AF7 a 6L6 sub? The 7N7's I have seen on the auction site seem pricey.
I no longer get 'popular' tubes there because much of what is offered are 'tired'.

Good point on cleaning pins. Deoxit is what I use as well as Caig Pro Gold.

FloridaBoy 08-22-2015 09:12 PM

Russian 6p3s-e/6L6

I bought a quad of these a few years ago from Jim McShane and am listening to a pair as I type. Very nice. Excellent tone. Not as full as the TS 6AR6. They are detailed and there is an excellent sense of space and air around instruments.
They are not expensive but if you try them be sure the vendor does a thorough job of testing them and look for ones made in the 1980's. Jim does very thorough testing/matching but he no longer sells them.

A comparison with Shuguang and Gold Lion KT66's http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=374 I have not heard the KT66's yet.

lsquaredb 08-22-2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 721930)
Hi Leonard,

Is the 7AF7 a 6L6 sub? The 7N7's I have seen on the auction site seem pricey.
I no longer get 'popular' tubes there because much of what is offered are 'tired'.

Good point on cleaning pins. Deoxit is what I use as well as Caig Pro Gold.

I'm using the 7AF7 for the driver of the amp. (I'm using Popes for power tubes). The 7AF7 is like a high quality 6SN7 with a slightly lower amplification factor. 7N7 is similar to a 6SN7; 7F7 is similar to a 6SL7. 7C5 is a power tube. It's similar to a 6V6GT, but I haven't tried it. (I need more adaptors to do that.)

FloridaBoy 08-23-2015 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsquaredb (Post 721945)
I'm using the 7AF7 for the driver of the amp. (I'm using Popes for power tubes). The 7AF7 is like a high quality 6SN7 with a slightly lower amplification factor. 7N7 is similar to a 6SN7; 7F7 is similar to a 6SL7. 7C5 is a power tube. It's similar to a 6V6GT, but I haven't tried it. (I need more adaptors to do that.)

Thanks for the above. I will check out the 7AF7 & 7C5. The 7N7's have become a bit pricey IMHO.

FloridaBoy 08-25-2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 721895)
Not yet, but I do have both a Philips and a Brimar 5R4GY. I've generally preferred the Brimar, but it may be dependent on the combo with other tubes in the amp. I'll try them tonight. My favorite rectifier in the amp has been a GEC (Wycombe factory) "fat bottle" GZ37/CV378. That's what I have been running with the 6AR6 thus far.

The only 5AR4 I have is a 1969 Mullard "7 Notch". It's never grabbed me. I think I like the slightly lower powered ones.

The rectifier's voltage drop impacts/changes the sound. The GZ34 has the least voltage drop on the table Twanny posted.