AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wireworld Cables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Silver Starlight USB vs. Platinum Starlight USB (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=17552)

digitalzed 11-28-2012 09:52 PM

Silver Starlight USB vs. Platinum Starlight USB

A couple of months back I took a huge leap of faith and invested in a Silver Starlight USB cable. Up until then I hadn't put much emphasis on a USB cable and I posted my thoughts on that SS cable in this forum. For those of you who did not read that post suffice to say the difference was staggering to me. Not too long after I posted my thoughts on that cable, Ivan (Masterlu) offered up to subscribers here on AA a sweet WireWorld cable deal and after selling a kidney I found myself upgrading from the SS to the Platinum Starlight version of the vaunted WireWorld USB lineup. I've had about three weeks with it in my system now and thought I'd post my thoughts.

The difference between standard USB cables and the SS was, as I said, staggering. Huge gobs of sweet sound being resolved in a way that made me forget everything but the music. Which is what I ultimately want. The difference between the SS and PS while not as dramatic as between a standard cable and the SS was just about as staggering. Not only were all the gobs of sound there that I had been amazed by in the SS, the PS refined and defined that sound even more so. The soundstage opened up, bass was more full but without distortion. Highs seemed sweeter (for a lack of a better word). The biggest difference, however, was the tightness and presentation of everything I listened to. And I've listened to many different styles of music from 50's bop, 60's fusion, rock, R&B and soul, 70's rock and funk, 80's pop, 90's alternative, and current rock, pop and jazz. The only genre I have not listened to is classical. And by tightness I mean the speed, delivery, tempo, and impact were much more pleasing and I found myself involved in the music at an even deeper level than before. Even on those titles I listen to regularly. Nothing else in my system had changed, so I can only attribute this to the PS.

AB comparisons between the SS and the PS backed up my non-scientific hearing only testing. I still like the sound of the SS for all my original reasons. But going back and forth over some time between the two the PS is the hands down winner. I'm keeping the SS for another rig but the PS has found a home in my main system and I feel no need to look any further (which is good because I only have one more kidney I could sell...:D )

Some of you will no doubt think I drank the kool-aid on cables. Especially those built around zeroes and ones that should all be the same. They are not. If computer audio or USB DAC's are in your system, you owe it to yourself to at least audition either the SS or PS, but especially the PS. My feeling is that most of you won't be disappointed.

mdkim 11-28-2012 10:33 PM

I've had the Plat. Starlight for about 2-3 weeks and, I, like you, can unequivocally say that the Plat. betters the Silver Starlight by an appreciable amount. I was urged to just get the Plat. from the start but I balked at a $700 (retail) USB cable. Some $$ items are more hype than substance, but, I do hear more detail and, for lack of the proper words, there is less ringing in the mid frequencies leading to more information from my speakers. At first the vocals were WAY laid back but it's cleared up nicely after a half day or so. I strongly recommend grabbing this cable if possible.

mbovaird 11-28-2012 10:49 PM

WW Platinum USB here. Outstanding cable. Blew away anything else I've tried. This is the cable all the computer audiophile guys use too.

bakerman 11-28-2012 11:00 PM

Nice review, d. It's nice to hear that there was a difference between the two cables. I'm amazed at how many people don't keep an open mind concerning cables and the difference they can make in a system. Like you said, it's more than just 0's and 1's. I just received my Platinum Starlight from Ivan Monday evening and am letting it get settled into my system.

redm 11-28-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerman (Post 402517)
I just received my Platinum Starlight from Ivan Monday evening and am letting it get settled into my system.

Me too, havent had a chance to try it yet though.

Masterlu 11-28-2012 11:17 PM

Great review, and I'm very glad to hear you are enjoying the new PS cable! ;)

digitalzed 11-29-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerman (Post 402517)
Nice review, d. It's nice to hear that there was a difference between the two cables. I'm amazed at how many people don't keep an open mind concerning cables and the difference they can make in a system. Like you said, it's more than just 0's and 1's. I just received my Platinum Starlight from Ivan Monday evening and am letting it get settled into my system.

Let us know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redm (Post 402522)
Me too, havent had a chance to try it yet though.

Same.

digitalzed 11-29-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 402538)
Great review, and I'm very glad to hear you are enjoying the new PS cable! ;)

Me, too. Thanks for the great deal again, Ivan. Never would've pulled the trigger without it.

Masterlu 11-29-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalzed (Post 402592)
Me, too. Thanks for the great deal again, Ivan. Never would've pulled the trigger without it.

:thumbsup: Perhaps I'll do it again...

Masterlu 11-29-2012 12:08 AM

I dished a lot of these out, like candy on Holloween :) let's hear from everybody!