AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Isolation, Tips & Tweaks (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Does Anybody Wall Mount Their Components? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44281)

Audiophilehi 11-08-2018 06:01 PM

Does Anybody Wall Mount Their Components?

Does anybody wall mount all or any of their components for better vibration control? If it works for a turntable why not the rest of your system?

bigblue 11-09-2018 02:24 AM

I'd guess that weight is one reason.
And a turntable is more sensitive to vibrations than say a power amp.

Poppyhome 11-09-2018 09:38 AM

Cable management may be another challenge and how to hide that ugly mess.

Ron

Masterlu 11-09-2018 10:16 AM

Only one of my R2R decks.

Audiophilehi 11-09-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue (Post 939445)
I'd guess that weight is one reason.
And a turntable is more sensitive to vibrations than say a power amp.

I wouldn't take a chance with the amp but the rest of my components should be fine.

Not really sure I want to do it but was looing for some input from others who might have or might be doing this.

Audiophilehi 11-09-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 939469)
Only one of my R2R decks.

Thanks Ivan!!:thumbsup:

Audiophilehi 11-09-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 939464)
Cable management may be another challenge and how to hide that ugly mess.

Ron

Hi Ron.....This could very well be an issue but if I ever decide to do it I would make sure cables are hidden as much as possible.

jdandy 11-09-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 939390)
Does anybody wall mount all or any of their components for better vibration control? If it works for a turntable why not the rest of your system?

Paul.......Wall mounting a turntable has never struck me as a sensible way to control vibration. Most interior walls vibrate considerable more than floors. Poured in place concrete walls would be the exception. Due to a typical home's interior wall construction with either wood framing or metal stud framing on 16 inch centers with 5/8" drywall screwed to the framing, there is plenty of vibration over the hollow spans between the wall studs. I would never consider wall mounting a turntable or audio components.

Sure, some floors in wood framed homes that have marginally supported wood floor joists will create vibration issues, especially for turntables and heavy footed occupants. This is where good quality racks with well engineered shelf isolation come into play. Trying to stop a wall from vibrating is another story. Wall mounting a turntable may eliminate foot fall problems, but it aggravates the introduction of wall induced vibrations into a wall mounted platform. For me, wall mounting has never been a solution. Curing one problem only generates more issues.

Audiophilehi 11-09-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 939485)
Paul.......Wall mounting a turntable has never struck me as a sensible way to control vibration. Most interior walls vibrate considerable more than floors. Poured in place concrete walls would be the exception. Due to a typical home's interior wall construction with either wood framing or metal stud framing on 16 inch centers with 5/8" drywall screwed to the framing, there is plenty of vibration over the hollow spans between the wall studs. I would never consider wall mounting a turntable or audio components.

Sure, some floors in wood framed homes that have marginally supported wood floor joists will create vibration issues, especially for turntables and heavy footed occupants. This is where good quality racks with well engineered shelf isolation come into play. Trying to stop a wall from vibrating is another story. Wall mounting a turntable may eliminate foot fall problems, but it aggravates the introduction of wall induced vibrations into a wall mounted platform. For me, wall mounting has never been a solution. Curing one problem only generates more issues.

Hi Dan....thanks so much! Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I will now put this idea behind me. :thumbsup:

Poppyhome 11-09-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 939485)
Paul.......Wall mounting a turntable has never struck me as a sensible way to control vibration. Most interior walls vibrate considerable more than floors.

Hey Dan, I'm not a structural engineer, but my experience is the exact opposite. My turntable is mounted to the second and third studs perpendicular to the center structural beam of my house with wooden floors.

Zero vibration to my turntable and jumping up and down causes no issues. Footfalls are known problems for turntables on stands though and not for turntables mounted to perpendicular walls. :yes:

As for wall induced vibrations, I don't know what that is compared to floor induced vibrations and my subwoofer is on the floor. :yikes:

Ron