AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Using Stillpoints under a countertop (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=17074)

dirtbag 11-06-2012 11:49 PM

Using Stillpoints under a countertop

This is my idea. I am building a new cabinet to house all my equipment.
It will be 90" L. x 32" H x 24" dp. with 3 seperate racks of shelves c/w doors to hide the equipment and accessories. I will have 2 completly seperate systems (a 2-channel system for music, and a 5 channel system for TV and video) They will not share any components or electrical connections at all.
My 2 channel amp, pre-amp, CD player and turntable will sit on top on the open countertop. This countertop will be made of 1 1/2 " thick solid walnut planks.
I was thinking of supporting this countertop with 8 Stillpoint isolation feet.
Will the combination of the solid walnut along with the Stillpoints provide a good base for my components?
Am I headed in the right direction?

trponhunter 11-07-2012 07:09 AM

definately much better to put the stillpoints under the components themselves.

vintage_tube 11-07-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trponhunter (Post 390221)
definately much better to put the stillpoints under the components themselves.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtbag (Post 390150)
This is my idea. I am building a new cabinet to house all my equipment.
It will be 90" L. x 32" H x 24" dp. with 3 seperate racks of shelves c/w doors to hide the equipment and accessories. I will have 2 completly seperate systems (a 2-channel system for music, and a 5 channel system for TV and video) They will not share any components or electrical connections at all.
My 2 channel amp, pre-amp, CD player and turntable will sit on top on the open countertop. This countertop will be made of 1 1/2 " thick solid walnut planks.
I was thinking of supporting this countertop with 8 Stillpoint isolation feet.
Will the combination of the solid walnut along with the Stillpoints provide a good base for my components?
Am I headed in the right direction?

No to the question. Under components only.

Let's say you went thru with it? Would you ever be able to remove them and replace the countertop as if the stillpoints were never installed as you mention?

Best

Bob

dirtbag 11-07-2012 10:20 AM

Bob,
I could definitely remove them afterwards and just fasten the countertop normally. But wouldn't the countertop be acting like an oversized wooden plinth
just like some amp stands that you can buy? I'm trying to acheive a clean
furniture look as opposed to an audio rack type of stand.

Cheers,
Dale

Glisse 11-10-2012 03:05 PM

I think your theory is sound, but the application may be flawed depending on what Stillpoint feet you are talking about. I am more familiar with Finite Elemente product, which are similar.

Your plinth and 4 components are going to be very heavy. Yes, you are distributing the weight over 8 isolation devices, but you need to ensure that these are designed and are capable of working correctly. Both Stillpoints and Finite Elemente are designed to work at certain payloads. You need something designed to work under a rack, not a component. I think the Stillpoints product optimised to do this is over $500, each, meaning a total of $4k. I could be wrong, of course!

trponhunter 11-10-2012 05:18 PM

The ultra ss are $250 each and can handle 1000 pounds

Glisse 11-10-2012 07:29 PM

I was thinking of the new Ultra 5, which seem to be garnering a good reputation. At a price. The Ultra SS pricing is certainly more reasonable.

dirtbag 11-11-2012 12:31 AM

I would guess my countertop would weigh approx 75 lbs.
Turntable is 75 lbs, amp and pre-amp are about 50 lbs. combined.
Digital is a Sonos box and DAC that weigh maybe 20 lbs.
Total of approx 225 lbs. I don,t think excess weight is an issue.
Can you suggest any alternatives to the Stillpoints?

Masterlu 11-11-2012 12:40 AM

HRS Nimbus Couplers

http://www.avisolation.com/images/nimbus1.jpg