AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Considering the Stellar line - some questions (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42802)

G8YU 04-23-2018 06:27 PM

Considering the Stellar line - some questions

I'm seriously considering PS Audio amplification for my Mirage M7si speakers; but I would like some advice.

First, I checked on PS Audio's warranty length. Three years seems a bit short. I assumed it was at least five years as I've seen people getting PS Audio regenerators replaced under warranty and never thought they were lasting less than three years. I realize a class D amp will be under much less stress than a regenerator though; so I assume the amps will offer many years of trouble free service.

The only other concern is, what model should I buy? I am limited to about $2500 for this year.

Should I get the S300 now and get the stellar gain cell next year?
Should I get a pre-amp other than the stellar gain cell next year?
Should I squeeze out every last penny of my audio fund to by a pair of M700 instead of the S300?
I don't think I need the power of the monoblocks; but I read somewhere that they sound better. I don't need a pre-amp immediately because I'll use my Arcam A80 as a pre-amp.
I'm leaning toward getting a pair of M700 since I see people online selling their S300 to buy the M700.

audio bill 04-23-2018 06:45 PM

Everything I've read in both reviews and buyers' comments is that the M700 mono amps are significantly better sounding than the S300 besides having more power. So if they're within your budget I'd suggest going for the M700 amps.

Masterlu 04-23-2018 07:11 PM

M700’s :thumbsup:

JoyfulNoise 04-23-2018 10:20 PM

I own a Stellar S300 and really like it. I will go against the grain and recommend the S300 with matching Stellar DAC-preamp. Same designer and engineering team. Meant to be together.

JMD 04-23-2018 10:45 PM

I would start off with the M700 but would also suggest you check in at the PS Audio forum where you will find dozens of Stellar owners many who have started with the S300 and pretty quickly switched to the M700's. You can decide on a different preamp when funds permit.

JoyfulNoise 04-23-2018 11:30 PM

I will chime in again. Your speakers are two-ways with maximum power handling of 175W RMS. In-room sensitivity is 88db with a 4-ohm minimum impedance. Both the M700 and S300 can provide ample power to your speakers while remaining stable.

Your Arcam A80 originally retailed for in excess of $1k. With that in mind, you could trade it in to PS Audio and receive an $840 credit toward the Stellar DAC-Pre / S300 combo resulting in an out-of-pocket cost below $2k. Assuming you are also entertaining new DACs based on your original post, I believe the Stellar DAC-Pre / S300 combo would provide more thrills and enjoyment with your Mirage speakers than the Arcam A80 / M700 combo. The Stellar DAC-Pre has so many useful inputs, and you may really appreciate the ability to connect the DAC-Pre to the S300 amplifier using XLRs. A very quiet and robust connection.

Others may have switched from the S300 to a pair of M700s, but your circumstances and the corresponding "best bang for the buck" may differ.

Arcilius 04-25-2018 07:08 AM

how big is the difference between M700 and BHK 250?

G8YU 04-27-2018 07:00 PM

I read somewhere that PS Audio voiced the Stellar amps to sound like the BHK amps. How close they are, I don't know. I'm sure the BHKs are better built and closer to top level sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise (Post 912489)
I own a Stellar S300 and really like it. I will go against the grain and recommend the S300 with matching Stellar DAC-preamp. Same designer and engineering team. Meant to be together.

Hi JoyfulNoise, what did you use before the S300 and Stellar DAC-preamp? It seems they were an upgrade for you instead of a side step.

I didn't know about the trade in program through PS Audio. I actually have an Arcam A80 and P80; but I planned on keeping them. I remembered Ivan is a PS Audio dealer and figured I'd buy from him. Many of us are familiar with Ivan's awesome customer service; he already PM'ed me a couple days ago like a mind reader.

I'm waiting on my purchase until about the first week of May; just in case I win something in the 9th Anniversary giveaway, or if something in my other thread for amp recommendations changes my mind about going with the Stellars.

JoyfulNoise 04-28-2018 12:00 PM

Hi G8YU -
I use a Stellar S300 to power the mains in my multi-channel audio/video system. It replaced a very competent Parasound power amplifier (275v2 - $600 retail), and my assessment is that the Stellar is an upgrade. Using XLR connections between an Anthem AVM 60 pre/pro and the Stellar, I notice a lower noise floor and a punchier, more vivid sound. I have been quite pleased with its overall performance, and it has remained stable, delivering all the power needed for relatively long movie sessions. I will qualify my observations a bit, though, as the Focal Aria speakers used in this system are quite efficient.

I have purchased from Ivan in the past and agree that he delivers great service.

Ruger2 05-05-2018 07:02 AM

Stellar M700 Monoblock

Still in the process of break in on my pair (M700) driving ML Classic ESL 9. I like the impact and clarity as much if not more than my Mac M275's. In the future I will run the amps through the set up process of my Mac MEN220 in an effort to enhance even further. BTW I bought mine used for <than $1900.00.
:thumbsup: