AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Went 4K in the Studio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42783)

jdandy 04-21-2018 12:11 AM

Went 4K in the Studio

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/789/3...3c14dba3_o.jpg

4K has spoiled me. Since installing the Sony XBR65X900E 4K HDR television in the living room, and a Sony XBR49X900E 4K HDR television in the bedroom I have gotten used to the amazing clarity and high resolution, both with streaming and upscaling DirecTV HD satellite. Going into the studio and watching the Sony KDL52XBR9 HD 1080p television caused me to start picking on the picture, the edge lighting, and the 1080p resolution. It has been a great television for years but all of a sudden it wasn't cutting it any longer. My two other 4K televisions raised the bar.

This morning I decided to make the 50 mile drive to Gainesville, Florida's Best Buy to bring home a new Sony XBR55X900E 4K HDR television. And while there I picked up a Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra Blu-ray player. This went into the bedroom, and the Oppo UDP-203 that was there is now in the studio, replacing the Oppo BDP-105 that was there.

Between the round trip drive to Gainesville, removing the 52" television from the wall, installing the 55" television wall brackets and getting it back on the wall and wired, plus relocating the UDP-203 to the studio and installing the UBP-X800 in the bedroom, I've had a busy day. Finally at about 8:00 PM I was able to sit in the studio and enjoy the new 4K television, watch some satellite TV, stream some Netflix, and watch the 4K Ultra Blu-ray player. All I can say is it was worth the time, effort, and money. 4K television is fantastic and these three Sony 900E series televisions are wonderful.

Just what I need, another reason to park myself on the couch for hours. Hey, somebody's got to do it.

damacman 04-21-2018 01:29 AM

Dan, I really also enjoy the 900E set that I have. Hard to argue with the performance for the dollar here.

Vintage Pete 04-21-2018 04:46 AM

Dan....looks great. I did the same thing just over a week ago, replacing my Sony 55" 1080p in the living room with a Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV. It is fabulous. Oppos's decision to stop US production "forced" me to grab a UDP-205 for the living room, replacing my BDP-105D. That in turn caused me to upgrade the TV as well. I've had too much going on the last week to put up photos and update my signature lines. Fun stuff!

tweet 04-21-2018 08:23 AM

Dan,
The new Sony looks nice in your studio. I recently swapped out a Samsung in our bedroom for a Sony XBR49X900E and added a Roku Ultra for my wife. She has a couple of Netflix shows she follows. I have no interest in Netflix and low interest in TV in general but plan to replace the plasma in our den with a Sony 4K as an upgrade to my system. The Sony is certainly a nice television.

richardallred 04-21-2018 08:41 AM

Enjoy

W9TR 04-21-2018 11:04 AM

Looks great Dan. Going to 4K has been a great upgrade for our theater. We watched Blade Runner ‘The Final Cut’ last night and it was spectacular.

jdandy 04-21-2018 11:53 AM

Today I am going to remake the brackets that allowed my acoustic art panel to hang in front of the older 52 inch TV in the studio. The good thing is the outside dimensions of the new 55 inch Sony 4K television are within 1/4 inch for height and width. The older 52 inch TV had a 2 inch bezel around the screen which added to its overall height and width. The new 55 inch TV has a 3/8 inch bezel, so the screen grew to 55 inches without making the overall dimensions change. Once I reform the brackets that hang the acoustic art panel in front of the TV it should be a perfect fit.

This is the acoustic art panel hanging in front of the old TV.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/674/3...f43a516f_b.jpg

Rex Anderson 04-21-2018 12:18 PM

Very nice Dan!

Movers broke my 55" Panasonic plasma that was in my master bedroom.

So, I put the 65" Panasonic plasma that was in my living room in the MBR. Bigger looks better for sure.

Now I'm shopping for a TV for the living room.

Trying to decide if 75" is big enough or if I should go 85".

audioguy3107 04-21-2018 12:48 PM

Looking good Dan.....I’ll tell you what, the Sony UXB blu ray player is no slouch either. I couldn’t believe the difference it made on my standard 1080 P JVC projector when I swapped it in place of a slightly older Sony player. I put the older player back in just to make sure I wasn’t seeing things. It was a remarkable improvement. Enjoy the new TV!

- Buck

jdandy 04-21-2018 03:45 PM

Buck.......You're right about the Sony 4K Ultra HD 4K players. The Sony UBP-X800 is a steal at $249.00. It is a no frills player when it comes to assorted output options, only having a single HDMI + Audio output, one HDMI audio only output, and only digital audio output with no analog audio output option, but beyond that the picture quality is outstanding. Last night I watched about 30 minutes of the 4K disc Planet Earth II on the 4K Sony XBR49X900E television with the Sony UBP-X800 in the bedroom. The picture quality is astonishing. The Sony UBP-X800 doesn't have all the options my two Oppo UDP-203 players offer, but it is a remarkable value with premium picture quality.