AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Conrad-Johnson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   GAT Series 2 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35882)

mfoley3 05-20-2016 09:31 PM

GAT Series 2

Today I Spoke with Jack Tozzi of Spearit Sound in Northampton MA (very long time CJ dealer) about the GAT Series 2 (cost is now $24,000). If you own the original, you can have it upgraded to Series 2 for about $4,000. I've done business with Jack for years. He is very knowledgeable, honest and not prone to hyperbole. I trust his judgement and integrity. He was very enthusiastic about the sonic improvements of the Series 2 and said they, in his mind, are worth double that amount. High praise indeed! I should've asked for more specifics about the sonic improvements and plan on doing so next week.

Do any of you have any direct or indirect experience with the Series 2?

Thanks, Mike.

audio bill 05-20-2016 09:34 PM

Mike - I can't remember where but I read another owner who had the upgrade done and was both surprised and thrilled with the magnitude of the improvement. His thoughts seemed along the same lines as your dealer and he very enthusiastically endorsed the upgrade.

Forte 4A 07-28-2016 04:40 PM

Excellent review on the GAT2 in this month's British HI-FI magazine.

turntable 07-30-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forte 4A (Post 794720)
Excellent review on the GAT2 in this month's British HI-FI magazine.

You mean hi-fi+ magazine?

audio bill 07-30-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable (Post 795045)
You mean hi-fi+ magazine?

Looks like that's the one - Hi-Fi+ Issue | Hi-Fi+

Briz Vegaas 07-31-2016 04:57 AM

And now those of us without a lotto win can wait for the trickle down.

ET5 mkII. Maybe as good as the original GAT ( probably because it pretty much is on the inside)

Sounds fair to me:-)

stereoquest 07-31-2016 09:16 AM

The GAT 2 seems to be an evolutionary product with the additional major benefit of NOS tubes as stock which would address a possible issue with current production tubes used in the GAT 1. Yes the PC88 operates on a higher heater voltage but this tube is not as sensitive to heater voltage as the 6922.....in the old days anything within 10% is not abnormal. Why they increased coupling capacitor total value is surprising though.

Anyone who has heard the difference between good NOS and EH knows what to expect as a minimum in the GAT2. The ET5 is nothing like a GAT inside , it would take more than a series revision for it to challenge the original GAT or ACT 2.2 for that matter.

Lets hope in the near futute the price of GAT 1's come down so mere mortals can look to acquire them :)

Briz Vegaas 08-01-2016 08:01 AM

So the press got it wrong again.....

Stereophile said.......

The ET5 shares all of the same parts as the GAT but is a stereo design instead of the GAT’s dual-mono layout. The ET5 uses Vishay resistors, CJD Teflon capacitors, gold plated OFC I/O connectors and vibration-isolated ...........

My dealer said something similar, although looking at photos on the web the GAT is clearly sporting way more teflon than either my CT5 or the ET5 ( neither of which do badly in that regard).

I would suspect the GAT also has a beefier power supply.

Don't worry, its about time i bought another lottery ticket. Its been 3 months since my last one.( at least).

turntable 08-02-2016 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereoquest (Post 795233)
The GAT 2 seems to be an evolutionary product with the additional major benefit of NOS tubes as stock which would address a possible issue with current production tubes used in the GAT 1. Yes the PC88 operates on a higher heater voltage but this tube is not as sensitive to heater voltage as the 6922.....in the old days anything within 10% is not abnormal. Why they increased coupling capacitor total value is surprising though.

Anyone who has heard the difference between good NOS and EH knows what to expect as a minimum in the GAT2. The ET5 is nothing like a GAT inside , it would take more than a series revision for it to challenge the original GAT or ACT 2.2 for that matter.

Lets hope in the near futute the price of GAT 1's come down so mere mortals can look to acquire them :)

very true. I went through literally 5 or 6 pairs of cj EH tubes in short periods of time as they kept getting noisy. I then tried some Philips Holland / Pope PCC88/7DJ8 and Telefunken PCC88/7DJ8.
IMO, the stk EH tubes still sounded better than these highly rated PCC88's - I guess that is why cj had to re-design the GAT to get the best out of the PC88 as well as some evolutionary upgrades learned over time.

I then bit the bullet and tried the Telefunken E88CC / 6922. Boom - an increase in performance in every parameter. They have also lasted 2 years without any issues - the last 6 months they have literally been on 24/7 as running with my SS amp.

That is the conundrum - My GAT with tele E88CC sounds magnificent. Why spend another AU 7K or so to upgrade? AU importer will never bring a new GAT2 into the country, so impossible to know how much better the GAT2 is over GAT1 with Tele 6922's.

first world problems :D

Briz Vegaas 08-02-2016 06:12 AM

I'm pretty sure the AU importer would bring one in if you paid the deposit. When i win lotto i will confirm this for you. :-)

Problem with high end audio is that there is a very limited market in Australia. i think its partly the Australian mindset and partly because the weather is too nice, although i do most listening in the evening.