AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What power makes your Sonus Fabers sing (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8405)

bodiezaffa 05-18-2011 01:41 PM

What power makes your Sonus Fabers sing

Recently at the house of a friend and fellow audiophile, I was asking him which amp he preferred to power his Focal La Scala’s. He was using a McIntosh MA7000 but there was a large SS Conrad Johnson amp ( cant remember which one-output was 500w into 4ohm.) sitting in a corner, silent and without a pre amp.
He said when the CJ’s were connected, the sound came from all directions, completely enveloping him into the music. This was something the MA7000 was unable to do.
Got me wondering to what others use to power their speakers and since I now have the Cremona M, my interest lay in fellow SF owners.

AudioNut 05-18-2011 01:49 PM

I am quite happily driving my Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos with a McIntosh MA7000. Plenty of pure, clean power, very transparent, great soundstaging.

Julian

Rilands 05-18-2011 03:36 PM

My MC205 does a great job with my Cremona's. Plenty of clean power.

Masterlu 05-18-2011 03:43 PM

Strads get 300 watts from MC2301's

Amati Aniversarios get 1000 watts from Bryston 28B-SST's

Auditor M's get 300 watts from Bryston 6B-SST

Kenkirk 05-18-2011 04:54 PM

Amati Homage is fed from Convergent Audio technology JL-1's

Extrema's are fed from Yamaha RX-v something was top of the line a few years back.... front channels in theater

Concertos are fed from McIntosh MAC4300 receiver in bedroom

The Extremas are hard to drive properly. The Cats will drive them well. Incredibly the Yamaha does a fine job with them. But I have had some pretty serious amps take a dump on the Extrema's. The Amati's seem to be an easy load.

Ken

miner 05-18-2011 05:07 PM

MC452 into my Auditor Ms. Previous amp was MC252.

jdandy 05-18-2011 09:25 PM

bodiezaffa.......I have powered my Guarneri Memento speakers with a single MC275, a pair of MC275's in mono, a MC352, a pair of MC501's, and presently with a MC452. All sounded great. I love the MC452 on them.

cmalak 05-18-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenkirk (Post 166353)
Amati Homage is fed from Convergent Audio technology JL-1's

Extrema's are fed from Yamaha RX-v something was top of the line a few years back.... front channels in theater

Concertos are fed from McIntosh MAC4300 receiver in bedroom

The Extremas are hard to drive properly. The Cats will drive them well. Incredibly the Yamaha does a fine job with them. But I have had some pretty serious amps take a dump on the Extrema's. The Amati's seem to be an easy load.

Ken

Ken...you have a killer system. The JL-1s are killer amps. I have never heard them but would love to. Do they put off a lot of heat? Have you driven tougher loads than your Amatis with them? If you are familiar with other tube amps, is the CAT house sounds similar to any of the other major tube brands? I am just trying to get a better handle on them.

amati 05-19-2011 10:51 AM

My Amati Futura's are fed from the Krell EVO-400e mono's.
I have had Cremona's fed from a Krell FPB 400cx, worked very well after i used it with a 150watt Linn which was not my marriage.

Kenkirk 05-19-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 166413)
Ken...you have a killer system. The JL-1s are killer amps. I have never heard them but would love to. Do they put off a lot of heat? Have you driven tougher loads than your Amatis with them? If you are familiar with other tube amps, is the CAT house sounds similar to any of the other major tube brands? I am just trying to get a better handle on them.

Thanks! Well the JL-1's are a love hate relationship with me. Love the sound. Love the power. Hate the heat. Hate the trouble to move one to replace a resistor when a tube shorts. Hate shipping to New York for repairs if necessary. Hate long repair times.

But I have never had a speaker they could not drive the crap out of. Including the big Sound Labs. The Extremas are a difficult load, but no trouble for the JL-1's. These amps replaced a pair of Classe Ca300's that were running in monoblock. The JL-1's have better control of the bass, sweeter midrange, more air on top, and way better dynamics. And they sound more powerful. I truly have never heard better amps. I am sure the JL-3's are better, but I am not going to 32 tubes. Hell 16 is too many already! But the magic of the Jl-1's is the 50 plus pound output transformers and the huge power supply. Each amp weighs about 185 pounds or so. So that makes them a real pain in the ass to move around. I have had them for 11 years and have never wanted anything else. I guess that speaks volumes about them. I am about to add a MC402 for hot summer duties and more casual listening sessions. I run those amps too much!

Ken