AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   So what happens when Shindo gear sings? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9451)

Alberto 08-13-2011 10:24 AM

So what happens when Shindo gear sings?

I am starting this new thread because David (1KW) asked a question on another thread where I posted my position once and said I would post on it no more. I like to keep my word, so here we are.

The question was "Is Shindo good for rock music or more for jazz and classical ?"

I have already confessed a preference for progressive rock; a sub-genre that is often the subject of derision either for being pompous, self-important and self-indulgent, or for being too intellectual and "studied" and removed from the much more soulful and emotional blues-based rock. There is some truth in both of those positions, but progressive rock "moves" me as much if not more than "traditional" or "classic" rock. I grew up listening to groups like Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis, ELP and Yes, as well as several lesser known Italian progressive rock group such as PFM, Banco and Area. ProgRock music was imprinted in my teenage brain as I was learning to play guitar and listening to them, even a few decades later, activates all the right pleasure centers.

There was one problem though: Many of my favorite albums were recorded (or mastered) very poorly. Many sounded harsh or thin and I could not listen to them without a good dose of tone controls (remember all my posts about NEEDING tone controls?) In a way, possibly a subconscious way, my system directed my listening toward better recordings.

Since my "system transition", I've been listening to more progressive rock than ever. I've also upped my dosage of classic and hard rock, such as: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airplane, and I haven't felt any need for tone controls or filtered my listening to take into account recording quality. My "audiophile approved" recordings, have been lingering at the bottom of the pile. I haven't see Diana Krall's face, or legs, on an album cover for months :D.

Since there are only so many hours in a day, I have been listening to less classical and jazz music. I must be making up for lost time with my progressive rock favorites. However, there are days when I feel I need a dose of Ludwig Van's symphonies, Monk's piano or Joe Pass' guitar, and they all sound great. The soundstage on symphonies spreads past the walls of my room and they sound as magnificent as ever, and Joe Pass "Solo" on vinyl sounds better and more intimate than ever.

So, my personal answer to original question "Is Shindo good for rock music or more for jazz and classical ?" is YES!.

It's not an either/or. I know that Stephen (TwoDot) listens mostly to jazz. These days, I listen more to rock - progressive or otherwise, but that may change over time.

In other words, with the Shindo + Tannoy I have stopped worrying about recording quality and just listen to the music I want to listen to, and it never fails to draw me in.

I hope this answers the question.

Alberto

PS The "hows and whys" of my system transition from 500+500W of McIntosh + Sonus Faber, to low-power + high-efficiency speakers, have been well documented in many other threads. After spending many years with high-power amps and somewhat power-hungry speakers, I decided to experiment with a different approach. Not because there was anything wrong with my previous setup. Quite the contrary, I was concerned that I would not be able to get back to its level of deliciousness.

There are many paths to great and satisfying sound. If your system gives you a daily dose of thrills and enjoyment, if you can't wait to start a listening session and can't stand to end one, then your system is right for you: whether it's a bank of high-power solid-state amps and speakers with 36 drivers, or flea-powered tube amps and speakers with one driver, or anything in between.

Masterlu 08-13-2011 11:11 AM

HIGH POWER

http://www.desiglitters.com/wp-conte...litters-19.gif

:wave:

pitch perfect 08-13-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto (Post 191920)
....So, my personal answer to original question "Is Shindo good for rock music or more for jazz and classical ?" is YES!.

It's not an either/or. ...

:thumbsup:

-M

JSCC 08-13-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

If your system gives you a daily dose of thrills and enjoyment, if you can't wait to start a listening session and can't stand to end one, then your system is right for you: whether it's a bank of high-power solid-state amps and speakers with 36 drivers, or flea-powered tube amps and speakers with one driver, or anything in between.

Yes, I FULLY agree Alberto! Wise words. :yes: :thumbsup:

As this is a SHINDO thread, I wont say anything more. My "M" system does exactly that! Although I itch for "others", the music it makes brings me back to it. :thumbsup:

Stercom 09-25-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

...I have stopped worrying about recording quality and just listen to the music I want to listen to, and it never fails to draw me in.

+1:thumbsup: Thats what its all about!

Altec Green 09-26-2011 08:17 PM

Very well said Alberto :goodpost:

The spell of Shindo gear is very strong. It is able to make one forget about all audiophiles wish list but concentrate more into the flow of music.
More importantly I find Shindo gears do not accomplished this by making the musing sound boring or exagerated but very natural and what make it so special; the timing is pitch perfect! :thumbsup:

Haurock 09-26-2011 08:31 PM

Alberto,

Nice to hear that your system has allowed you to come back to your roots... don't worry you'll also go back to jazz and other styles of music and you'll be surprised at how much you will enjoy them...

IN all things variety is the spice of life!!!.. :D I know it's cliche... but hey... when in Rome...

Record108 09-27-2011 05:30 PM

Alberto,

What kind of speaker cables do you use? Did you try Kondo silver cables?

Thomas

Alberto 09-27-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Record108 (Post 209658)
Alberto,

What kind of speaker cables do you use? Did you try Kondo silver cables?

Thomas

I have a bunch of speaker cables from past systems, I tried a few of them and settled (at least for now) on a vintage pair of Straight Wire Maestro. These cables sounded too bright with other systems, but are just right with the Shindo + Tannoy.

I see you have some Straight Wire cables yourself ... though they are probably a couple of generations newer.

Alberto

Record108 09-28-2011 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto (Post 209720)
I have a bunch of speaker cables from past systems, I tried a few of them and settled (at least for now) on a vintage pair of Straight Wire Maestro. These cables sounded too bright with other systems, but are just right with the Shindo + Tannoy.

I see you have some Straight Wire cables yourself ... though they are probably a couple of generations newer.

Alberto

The Straight Wire Crescendo II mentioned in my signature are my interconnects - excellent! But I also had (and have) speaker cables from the same series. Just out of curiosity, I swapped them for a pair of the much-acclaimed Kondo silver cables but am not sure that I like those so much. I was curious what you use with your Shindo system because the Kondos receive much praise from owners of tube amplifiers with low wattage like yours. I plan to make an A-B comparison (well, sort of) with the Straight Wires and the Kondos soon and then decide between them.