AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Torus RM20 vs Furman IT-Reference 20i vs Other (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19774)

jameslrock 03-09-2013 01:51 PM

Torus RM20 vs Furman IT-Reference 20i vs Other

Adding 20 amp circuit for my 2 channel McIntosh C2300 pre, two MC601 amp, Esoteric K-03, Rega RP-3 with TTPSU, Sonos, Soundcraftsman T-100 AM/FM tuner. Considering the Torus RM20 or Furman IT - Reference 20i or another brand to protect my system but allow full power to the amps. Want to plug all to same power system. Prices so far in $2k to $3k range delivered. To use an analogy, as a runner I want the amps to run as if they are in a race with pure oxygen pumping into the body instead of like running with a head cold with stuffed up nostrils. Want them to breathe.

jameslrock 03-09-2013 08:17 PM

Come on. There has to be some opinions and recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Wasatch 03-09-2013 08:48 PM

I've heard good things about the Torus.

Masterlu 03-09-2013 08:58 PM

Bryson BIT-20... That's what I chose for my Esoteric Rig.

jameslrock 03-09-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 457228)
Bryson BIT-20... That's what I chose for my Esoteric Rig.

Why was that your choice? Also PM me with pricing for the Torus RM 20, Bryston BIT-20 and if you can the Furman ITRef 20 or any other you suggest. Also I could use wall outlets for the electrician. Want to finalize this system and just sit and enjoy and collect SACDs as well as more vinyl. Carmen's ready for me to stop already. She has a sofa in mind and hardwoods to refinish.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

ronenash 03-10-2013 03:50 AM

I have the Torus ARV-8 European version and it totally transformed my system. Better and tighter bass improved clarity and wider soundstage. I am not familiar with the other two and the Torus is the first power conditioning unit I have used so I cannot compare.

Rod#S 03-10-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameslrock (Post 457011)
Adding 20 amp circuit for my 2 channel McIntosh C2300 pre, two MC601 amp, Esoteric K-03, Rega RP-3 with TTPSU, Sonos, Soundcraftsman T-100 AM/FM tuner. Considering the Torus RM20 or Furman IT - Reference 20i or another brand to protect my system but allow full power to the amps. Want to plug all to same power system. Prices so far in $2k to $3k range delivered. To use an analogy, as a runner I want the amps to run as if they are in a race with pure oxygen pumping into the body instead of like running with a head cold with stuffed up nostrils. Want them to breathe.

I use the Furman IT Reference, the predecessor to the 20i. I have two Bryston 4B-SST's, a Bryston 6B-SST and a Paradigm Sub 25 plugged into the 4 amp outlets of the unit and there is no degredation in performance vs plugging the amps directly into the wall. The Furman has ample current reserves so that's probably why. Being a big fan of Bryston in general the Bryston BIT and Torus units would be good choices as well. I can't see you going wrong with either of those 3 choices.

drummermitchell 03-11-2013 08:36 AM

I use three Torus units and they are staying put.
They replaced Shunyatas even with dedicated lines.
Huge difference musically and superb protection.
never tried the Furman.
The difference shocked the heck out of me as someone mentioned to me that having gobs of power in reserve for the amps makes a huge difference.
It does and the Torus are staying put:thumbsup:.
have had mine for a few yrs. now and nadda problem.

Sonic 03-13-2013 09:59 PM

Hey everyone,

How does the PS Audio P5 fare with these aforementioned brands? I currently have a Monster 7000 MKII; decided to take that road over the Furman.

Also, ascending to more stratospheric levels, I read a stellar review of the Audience aR12-TS Power Conditioner on which seems to eclipse many of the other familiar names.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice? Thanks to all in advance.

P.S. I also recently caught wind of the LessLoss firewall power conditioner and I have heard really good things about it. Anyone have any experience with this piece?

Audioseduction 03-14-2013 06:05 PM

I use 2 Balanced Power Technologies BP-3.5 Signature Plus w/Teflon V-Caps. Each can provide 20A RMS/60A Peak Power. It's very vital that the unit you decide on can provide high peak current or you may starve your equipment for power when it most needs it.

http://www.georgelindsay.me/photos/audioaficionado8.jpg