AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Video (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Sony XBR77A9G (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46396)

KahunaCanuck 11-29-2020 01:23 PM

Can't believe you are giving up on the Kuro!!! You & I bought ours at the same time!! I'm being a little sarcastic, I still have mine but it is not my frontline TV any more. Good luck with the Sony!

FRO 11-29-2020 01:29 PM

I still have my Kuro 65" I bought 12 years ago.
Still completely satisfied with the pic, although sometimes I wish it would die so I could try out an OLED 75"-80".
I'm sure there have been articles, but how does the Sony compare to LG OLED's??

PHC1 11-29-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRO (Post 1023079)
I still have my Kuro 65" I bought 12 years ago.
Still completely satisfied with the pic, although sometimes I wish it would die so I could try out an OLED 75"-80".
I'm sure there have been articles, but how does the Sony compare to LG OLED's??

Hard to say. Sony and LG swap places year to year for the best TV awards. It is really a matter of personal preference. Sony buys LG panels and modifies them from what I understand.

Yes, the Kuro plasma was a fantastic tv. I miss mine although I do not miss the heat it was throwing off. :D

FRO 11-29-2020 02:48 PM

I'm sure it is just a setting on the new TV's, but I've seen a few friends' and I just cannot stand that "soap opera" effect on many.
Doesn't even look like a move!

PHC1 11-29-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRO (Post 1023096)
I'm sure it is just a setting on the new TV's, but I've seen a few friends' and I just cannot stand that "soap opera" effect on many.
Doesn't even look like a move!

I know exactly what you mean. My LG does not suffer from that in itself but keep in mind it is often the new Hollywood move to digital and away from film..

FRO 11-29-2020 02:56 PM

Big SALE - haha!!
98” tv’s for $50k off!

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...campaign=verge

prepress 12-05-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck (Post 1023077)
Can't believe you are giving up on the Kuro!!! You & I bought ours at the same time!! I'm being a little sarcastic, I still have mine but it is not my frontline TV any more. Good luck with the Sony!

If I had a 60" Kuro, the Sony wouldn't be here. My prime motivation was a bigger screen, so here we are. But if I'd had room I would have kept the Kuro for sure. This is a 1BR apartment and I have too much stuff as is.

The first thing I did was turn down the brightness to 10. It's much more watchable now. It's not a bright room, and I have sensitive eyes, so the 30 setting out of the box was WAY too much. The A9G bears a much greater resemblance to the Kuro now, though the blacks are actually deeper(!).

One thing I wonder about is what appears to be crushed whites in video content, notably live sports. Noticed it for the first time watching the Dolphins/Jets game last weekend. The sideline benches and boundary markers were solid white pretty much. Saw it again last night watching 2015 Mets highlights; the white uniforms had a similar look. Will need to explore that further. I haven't noticed it with the few BDs i've played so far, so maybe it's the cable box that's the culprit.

Stahle 12-05-2020 01:38 PM

Sony XBR77A9G

Just asking but is there a tv out there now being produced that has a better picture than the pioneer elite plasma?

I happened to be in the market for a tv right when Pioneer stopped production of their elite plasma TVs and was able to pick up a 50” model. That was about ten years ago and it’s still going strong but I’m thinking about getting a new 65” tv at some point but can’t find anything I like better than the plasma.

bart 12-05-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stahle (Post 1024013)
Just asking but is there a tv out there now being produced that has a better picture than the pioneer elite plasma?

I happened to be in the market for a tv right when Pioneer stopped production of their elite plasma TVs and was able to pick up a 50” model. That was about ten years ago and it’s still going strong but I’m thinking about getting a new 65” tv at some point but can’t find anything I like better than the plasma.

We still have our 50" and 60" Kuros going (very) strong.
No intention to change them, we simply don't watch enough TV/Netflix/Blu-rays.
For quite a long time, I didn't find the newer TVs better than our Kuro.
But since really good 4K TVs are being produced, I have to admit they clearly beat our beloved Pioneers.
Just like FRO, I secretly sometimes hope our Kuro will die to try out a 65" OLED... :D

Stahle 12-05-2020 03:43 PM

Which one would you recommend because I might want to get a larger tv this coming year? Is the Sony one of the best?