AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Time Pieces (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Vintage Rolex Sub for Alberto (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30684)

Alberto 03-15-2015 01:16 PM

Vintage Rolex Sub for Alberto

I've sent my Rolex GMT II for service ($8-900) and I've been missing it quite a bit.

Yesterday, I saw this great vintage sub from the 60s (roughly my age) for about $10K. Kind of crazy, but it looked great to me - and I loved the leather strap on it.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5lijss1e.jpg

It goes for about $10K, and I was thinking of selling my GMT ii which is nice, but not as "special" as a vintage piece. I prefer the simpler, more "austere" look of the older Submariners ... and love that patina.

I know we have a lot of watch fans on AA, and I am interested in your thought?

I realize that these are nice luxuries, but I think it's even better if our luxury purchases have some investment value.

Do you think that a watch like this (bought from an authorized dealer) will -- in addition to looking great -- hold the price well?

Thanks,

Alberto

antipop 03-15-2015 01:29 PM

Alberto, this is a great looking watch. I'd be all over it if I were you. You can either keep the leather band or put a NATO strap. They look great either way.

As for holding value, you never know and you should buy the watch first because you like it. However, I will say that as time passes they get rarer ;) Is is a big nipple glass ?

crwilli 03-15-2015 01:30 PM

Alberto - I can't speak with experience on whether or not it will hold its value but I can make the observation that you are looking at a 1960's watch that probably sold for a fraction of $10K then. Even figuring in inflation, I would say, yes, it has held and likely will continue to hold, its value. BTW - I also like the patina it has. it looks great. Craig

scirica 03-15-2015 01:40 PM

I've long been a fan of Rolex Submariners, with my current go-to being my Sea Dweller (older circa 2001 version, not the new big one). The older submariners are very collectible and I would say if this is something that interests you and you can get it checked out thoroughly you should go for it.

If not familiar with him, you should look up John Holbrook, creator of watchtalkforum and luxurytyme websites. He is a great guy that got me started on my Rolex journey and has written several published articles on the brand (and others). It's been some time since I last communicated with him, but he would certainly like to discuss this classic Submariner and its value.

to_usernames

Masterlu 03-15-2015 02:16 PM

Alberto... most of my Rolex's are Submariners and Daytona's; they hold their value very well. :thumbsup:

scirica 03-15-2015 02:38 PM

All of my Rolexes are Submariners and Daytona's! One of each "tresbon"

1KW 03-15-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto (Post 683537)
I've sent my Rolex GMT II for service ($8-900) and I've been missing it quite a bit.

Yesterday, I saw this great vintage sub from the 60s (roughly my age) for about $10K. Kind of crazy, but it looked great to me - and I loved the leather strap on it.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5lijss1e.jpg

It goes for about $10K, and I was thinking of selling my GMT ii which is nice, but not as "special" as a vintage piece. I prefer the simpler, more "austere" look of the older Submariners ... and love that patina.

I know we have a lot of watch fans on AA, and I am interested in your thought?

I realize that these are nice luxuries, but I think it's even better if our luxury purchases have some investment value.

Do you think that a watch like this (bought from an authorized dealer) will -- in addition to looking great -- hold the price well?

Thanks,

Alberto

Alberto
I'll play Devils advocate:D I don't mean to be the bad one here but I would keep your gmt especially if it was your first Rolex , I regret selling my first one. The gmt with the coke and pepsi bezels are becoming more collectible. For around 10 grand you can buy a new Daytona, $8700 I think is the list on a new batman (black and blue ceramic gmt). Both are great. Here is what you get with the Daytona or new gmt: 904 steel which is more scratch resistant, parachrom spring with longer power reserve, ceramic bezel which is more scratch resistant, quartz crystal which is more scratch resistant, easy link bracelet for quick adjustments when your wrist swells, luminova dial markers that glow in the dark all night long, a warranty from Rolex, a more accurate time piece, more complications than the sub. If you really like the sub that is all that really matters. I don't recommend you buy a watch based on it being a investment. To answer your question call a few dealers and email that picture and ask them what they would pay for that watch. Does this watch have the origitbox, papers and metal band as those are important to collectors? Looking at the crown guard I am pretty sure the earliest subs had no crown guards or James bond watch.

Alberto 03-15-2015 04:16 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I can see we have a lot of Rolex Sub fans on AA.

Practically speaking, keeping my GMT II (the first nice watch I ever bought -- some 15 years ago) which will come back fully serviced is, by far, the most sensible thing to do. Eventually, IT will become a vintage Rolex and a family heirloom. So there is something special about for me.

Impractically speaking, that vintage one looked great and felt "special" in another way.

Keeping both would go against my home-grown philosophy of minimaximalism (own a few things, ideally one of each, but make them special and very high-quality items. I developed this "philosophy" as a recovering collector (of guitars, watches and, of course, audio gear.) At some point I had some 25 guitars! I am down to 6 guitars and slowly heading toward one: THE ONE.

I decided to pursue minimaximalism because with our kids out of the house, my wife and I are looking to simplify things–without sacrificing the pleasure and enjoyment one gets from quality products.

I definitely have to do some thinking to do.

As a final note, 1KW (with whom I've shared my threads and thoughts in the past), I appreciate your devil's advocate position. It makes a lot of sense, but I've tried the new subs and they don't fit my wrist as well, they feel bigger and bulkier. The comment you made that struck me the most, however, was how you regret selling your own GMT. That's what I am thinking if I sell mine.

Perhaps I can get it fit with an all-black bezel (which I like) and buy a leather strap to get closer to the look of the vintage one.

I will keep you posted on my decision.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Alberto

Jerome W 03-15-2015 04:26 PM

Superb watch Alberto !

Doug Lax 03-15-2015 05:25 PM

I like it too . The patina is great on it