AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   VPI Industries (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   VPI tables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42120)

PHC1 02-06-2018 10:57 PM

VPI tables

Looking for feedback from owners. Have heard the VPI many times but never owned a VPI table. Happy with VPI? Any issues? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Audiophilehi 02-06-2018 11:11 PM

Hi Serge...I have my VPI HR-X a little over 10 years without any issues. I am just as happy today with it as I was the 1st day I set it up.

It’s really the only piece of equipment I never think about upgrading.

PHC1 02-06-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 897747)
Hi Serge...I have my VPI HR-X a little over 10 years without any issues. I am just as happy today with it as I was the 1st day I set it up.

It’s really the only piece of equipment I never think about upgrading.

Wow, 10 years! That says a lot! :thumbsup:

gadawg 02-06-2018 11:31 PM

I've had my VPI Prime a couple of years now and will likely upgrade to one of the Avenger models next year. Great table!

George

The Trace 02-06-2018 11:32 PM

Own one, a Classic 3 for 9-10 years. Only caviat, get the 3D arm with the most current up to date tonearm wire upgrade and invest in the Soundsmith counterweight accessory, to make set-up easier

PHC1 02-06-2018 11:40 PM

Considering the Prime Signature, I don't think I need to go any higher considering I have to rebuild my vinyl collection from scratch! :tears:

I want to hit the sweetspot... I want this to be a long term relationship, not having the itch to upgrade if I go lower but going higher is also not necessary I feel.

Does the Prime Signature have the same meaty and rich tonal signature as the older Aries series from years ago or is it a newer, more detailed and thinner sound? :scratch2:

Mikado463 02-06-2018 11:54 PM

I've owned my Aries 3, super platter, SDS unit for over 9 years now and I agree with Paul, zero interest in going 'beyond'. But ......if I had to replace it tomorrow I'd buy the re-designed Technics 1200 and call it a day, sit back with my cartridge of choice and just listen away to my LP collection.

PHC1 02-07-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 897758)
I've owned my Aries 3, super platter, SDS unit for over 9 years now and I agree with Paul, zero interest in going 'beyond'. But ......if I had to replace it tomorrow I'd buy the re-designed Technics 1200 and call it a day, sit back with my cartridge of choice and just listen away to my LP collection.

I still have my Technics 1200. :yes: It's the older model.

jpgr4blu 02-07-2018 12:13 AM

I own the VPI HRX, rim drive/SDS/superplatter 3d arm. Every other component I own has been upgraded while the HRX sits in the same position--only the arm has been upgraded and I've kept 2 previous arms which have different carts mounted on them.
I can't imagine bothering to upgrade my HRX. In fact, I've never considered it. This is despite the fact I have a speaker upgrade in progress (3rd since purchasing the HRX) amp and preamp upgrade (3rd of each) and digital upgrade (3rd) slotted for purchase over the next 3 to 4 years. With VPI--I think I'm done for the long term.

JMD 02-07-2018 12:14 AM

I'm a big fan of DD turntables. My go to tables are a pair of big rosewood base models from Denon and JVC circa 1979. I've tried the newer belt drive models and sold them on. If your 1200 still looks good and works have you thought about a new tonearm and wiring until you get your collection built back up?