AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Bryston Launches BP-17³ Cubed Preamplifier (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40143)

James Tanner - Bryston 08-04-2017 07:43 AM

Bryston Launches BP-17³ Cubed Preamplifier

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New preamp is the first to employ patented Salomie input circuit and new feature set with highly flexible input/output array

Peterborough, Ontario August, 2017

Bryston has announced the introduction of the new BP-17³ (Cubed Series) preamplifier, utilizing patented technology that debuted on the much heralded Cubed Series amplifiers. The BP-17³ also features a new expanded input/output configuration for enhanced system flexibility. Like all analog components from Bryston, the BP-17³ is covered by an industry best 20 year warranty.

Bryston’s patented super-linear, low noise input buffer jointly developed by Bryston and the late Ph.D. engineer Dr. Ioan Alexandru Salomie significantly reduces noise and distortion. The BP-17³ also has improved RF and audio frequency noise filtering to prevent unwanted anomalies on the power line from interfering even minutely with the audio signal.

The BP-17³ offers expanded input/output options, including two pairs of XLR outputs and two pairs of RCA outputs, making it possible to connect a wide variety of equipment and accommodate numerous system configurations. An RCA tape loop lets users connect a line-level processor or recording device and one of the XLR output pairs can be internally selected to have either variable (default) or fixed output enabling users to easily connect a Bryston BHA-1 or other balanced input headphone amplifier.

The BP-17³ also includes two pairs of balanced inputs and five pair RCA inputs, and can be ordered with a high-resolution internal DAC, a premium moving magnet phono stage, both DAC and phono modules or without either module installed. Users can select sources, adjust volume and more all from the optional BR-2 remote control or via RS232 connection to virtually any control ecosystem. The BP-173 is available in either black or silver, 17-inch or 19-inch (wide) faceplates.

The BP-17³ will begin shipping to authorized dealers in September, 2017 with a US MSRP of $3995.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xcmwzp8fu...YBUtTCAsa?dl=0

bart 08-04-2017 02:35 PM

Congrats!
Looks like another winner.

jdandy 08-04-2017 02:42 PM

http://bryston.com/images/products/BP17_3/L_1.jpg

James.......The new Bryston BP17³ is a fine looking preamplifier. I like the multiple output options and configuration possibilities. I predict this preamp will be a great seller

clpetersen 08-05-2017 07:19 AM

Very nice! Looks like my holiday wish-list is already firming up.
Great that both MM and DAC stages can be added.

Stefan_DR3 08-24-2017 12:47 AM

MC?

James Tanner - Bryston 08-24-2017 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 (Post 863531)
MC?

Hi Stefan

No room for the MC phono stage - you would have to use our TF2 step-up.

http://bryston.com/products/phono/TF-2.html

james

Stefan_DR3 09-01-2017 09:28 AM

Pre-ordered!

James Tanner - Bryston 09-01-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 (Post 864810)
Pre-ordered!

Great :music: - looking forward to your feedback. I am using one in my Active Model T setup and I really, really like it !!!:banana:

james

moonhawk 09-26-2017 01:25 AM

Is there opption for subwoofer out, with crossover?

James Tanner - Bryston 09-26-2017 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonhawk (Post 868612)
Is there opption for subwoofer out, with crossover?

HI

There are a number of stereo outputs available - so you would use a set of those into the Sub.

james

moonhawk 09-26-2017 10:31 AM

But no built in crossover?

James Tanner - Bryston 09-26-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonhawk (Post 868651)
But no built in crossover?

Hi

No built in crossover - most Subs these days have the crossovers built in.

james

moonhawk 09-26-2017 10:44 AM

OK, thanks--Did you see my SP3 thread? Having some issues.

moonhawk 09-26-2017 10:45 AM

Never mind just found your reply.

James Tanner - Bryston 09-30-2017 06:36 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: New Bryston BP-17 Preamplifier – Dealer Feedback

October, 2017

“Hi James,

I managed to get our very first BP17cubed set up this afternoon and immediately compared it to our BP26 that had been warmed up for the last week or so.

First impressions are...well, I get it; there is a composure to the new BP17 Cubed that is really fascinating.

The sound is both fast and "pure".

The BP17cubed's image transparency is alarming! I am now so used to HiFi systems presenting a very solid stereo image, that exists outside of the speaker, I almost don't pay attention to it anymore. But the BP17 has a focus and separation between instruments that is positively tube like!

Cool piece!

Thanks,
JD”

For more info - link to Bryston BP-17 Cubed
http://bryston.com/products/pre_amps/BP17-3.html

Stefan_DR3 10-07-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 869442)
The sound is both fast and "pure".

The BP17cubed's image transparency is alarming! ... the BP17 has a focus and separation between instruments that is positively tube like!
JD

I agree. The unit also looks very nice (I got black).

My only complaint is there are no vents on the lid. It gets a little warm for a solid-state preamp with relatively small power supply. I suppose they can say the lid is acting as a heat sink.

James Tanner - Bryston 10-07-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 (Post 870599)
I agree. The unit also looks very nice (I got black).

My only complaint is there are no vents on the lid. It gets a little warm for a solid-state preamp with relatively small power supply. I suppose they can say the lid is acting as a heat sink.

Hi Stefan

Yes the lid and front are acting as heatsinks.

This may seem a little counter intuitive but putting holes in the top actually increases the heat rather than dissipating it.

james

clpetersen 10-10-2017 11:29 AM

Headphone Out

Hello James - are there any specs on the head phone output? I assume that once a headphone is detected the volume control switches to headphones?

James Tanner - Bryston 10-10-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 871216)
Hello James - are there any specs on the head phone output? I assume that once a headphone is detected the volume control switches to headphones?

Hi

Yes the outputs to the amplifier are muted and the volume control adjusts the volume to the headphone.

I will have to ask about the specs on the headphone section - I know it runs pure Class A

james

Stefan_DR3 10-11-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 864858)
Great :music: - looking forward to your feedback. I am using one in my Active Model T setup and I really, really like it !!!:banana:

james

James,
I've been testing the unit and it sounds great. I agree about the slightly laid back presentation and effortless dynamics.

The configuration options are all appreciated. I'm using both balanced inputs and will also be using the bypass mode for my streamer.

I will probably use the trigger to power my 7B amps but wish there was a way to keep them warm without draining the full 200W.

Stefan

Stefan_DR3 10-11-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 863549)
Hi Stefan

No room for the MC phono stage - you would have to use our TF2 step-up.

http://bryston.com/products/phono/TF-2.html

james

I have a very low output Benz Micro cartridge. I haven't ordered the step-up transformer (yet) so I haven't used the BP-17's phono stage yet, however I noticed something strange. The phono input (2) is picking up sound from the adjacent Line level RCA input (1, playing a CD). This crosstalk goes away when I plug something into the phono input (2, not playing a record). It would appear the phono inputs don't like to be floating.

I have sent an email to Mike Pickett requesting confirmation of this phenomenon, but I'm not sure if he is the correct contact as he has not yet replied.

James Tanner - Bryston 10-11-2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 (Post 871499)
I have a very low output Benz Micro cartridge. I haven't ordered the step-up transformer (yet) so I haven't used the BP-17's phono stage yet, however I noticed something strange. The phono input (2) is picking up sound from the adjacent Line level RCA input (1, playing a CD). This crosstalk goes away when I plug something into the phono input (2, not playing a record). It would appear the phono inputs don't like to be floating.

HI

I have sent an email to Mike Pickett requesting confirmation of this phenomenon, but I'm not sure if he is the correct contact as he has not yet replied.

Yes he is at the audio show in Toronto this weekend. You can email me at jamestanner@bryston.com and I will send it to the designer.

james

Stefan_DR3 10-12-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 871554)
Yes he is at the audio show in Toronto this weekend. You can email me at jamestanner@bryston.com and I will send it to the designer.

james

I got your reply email from engineering in the wee hours! Good to hear that the unit is behaving as expected and there is no concern under normal conditions.

Thank you,
Stefan

James Tanner - Bryston 11-03-2017 10:13 AM

HI James,

Our 17B3 is now well run in. I even took it home to play with. It is superb!

I can now hear that the BP26 has some colourations in the upper mids and high frequencies compared to the BP173. I can now use high efficiency speakers with our Bryston setup and there no longer the sense of a rising frequency response that speakers like this normally exhibit. I tried a horn loaded tweeter from Triangle and is was beautifully smooth! I have some Opera Loudspeakers with a SEAS soft dome and they too are smoothed out and better balanced than I've ever heard them. And I use Nordost speaker cables! So much for the notion that they are bright cables! They only reveal the quality of the equipment.

Next will be an 8 ohm, 94dB, horn loaded compression driver mated to a cellulose bass driver! This could rip your face off if improperly set up :)

Thank,
Davies

James Tanner - Bryston 11-09-2017 06:39 AM

Hi James,

I've tested the 17cubed with a variety of amps from high gain to low gain, balanced and single ended. The result is always the same: composure.

I used it with a single ended, point to point solid state amp which has 30dB of gain. Not only was the system silent (used with very efficient speakers) but the 17cubed's volume control offered a great deal of usable range and dynamics.

I usually only give you incessant feedback when I like something ;)

Cheers,
James

James Tanner - Bryston 02-02-2018 11:55 AM

Hi Folks,

French review on the BP17 preamp and 4B Cubed combo.

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2...ch_Bryston.pdf

clpetersen 02-02-2018 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 896748)
Hi Folks,

French review on the BP17 preamp and 4B Cubed combo.

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2...ch_Bryston.pdf

Very nice review.

Question: If I purchased, say, the 2.5B3 cubed amp and the BP-17 cubed preamp versus the B135-cubed integrated, what are the differences (aside from future flexibility of switching out to a larger amplifier)?

It appears that both will accept both MM and DAC cards simultaneously, etc.

Thanks!

James Tanner - Bryston 02-02-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 896836)
Very nice review.

Question: If I purchased, say, the 2.5B3 cubed amp and the BP-17 cubed preamp versus the B135-cubed integrated, what are the differences (aside from future flexibility of switching out to a larger amplifier)?

It appears that both will accept both MM and DAC cards simultaneously, etc.

Thanks!

Hi

The BP17 Cubed has the new Cubed low noise and low distortion gain stage whereas the B135 uses the previous BP17 SST2 circuits in the preamp section of the integrated.

james

James Tanner - Bryston 03-21-2018 04:46 AM

Hi Folks,

Just got the copy of the review on the Bryston BP-17 Cubed preamplifier coming in June 2018 issue.

As the Brits would say "Its a corker"

james

moonhawk 03-21-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 907203)
Hi Folks,

Just got the copy of the review on the Bryston BP-17 Cubed preamplifier coming in June 2018 issue.

As the Brits would say "Its a corker"

james

June 2018 issue of what? :scratch2:

James Tanner - Bryston 03-21-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonhawk (Post 907237)
June 2018 issue of what? :scratch2:

OOPs sorry - Muscle Man Monthly :banana:

James Tanner - Bryston 03-22-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 907246)
OOPs sorry - Muscle Man Monthly :banana:

Gee's nobody saw my attempt at comedy here - anyway its Stereophile Magazine.

james

moonhawk 03-22-2018 09:37 AM

Darn.. I was looking forward to reading Muscle Man Monthly...

James Tanner - Bryston 05-01-2018 06:41 AM

Hi Folks,

Got this today from our South Africa Distributor.

james

Hi James

Please find the link to local review of the Bryston BP 17 Cuber preamplifier - http://www.avsa.co.za/bryston-b17b3-...-sonic-policy/

Robert_Anderson 05-01-2018 08:21 AM

It looks amazing! I love my Bryston gear! I also have to concede that BP-17 Cubed does sound better than BP-4913.

Stefan_DR3 05-01-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_anderson (Post 913369)
it looks amazing! I love my bryston gear! I also have to concede that bp-17 cubed does sound better than bp-4913.

bp-4913?

edit: I get it now ... 17 x 17 x 17 = 4913!

James Tanner - Bryston 05-05-2018 02:04 PM

Hi Folks,

The June Issue of Stereophile has a review of the Bryston BP-17 Cubed.

James Tanner - Bryston 05-15-2018 06:58 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BP-17 Cubed Preamplifier – Stereophile Review

May, 2018

Hi Folks,

The June 2018 addition of Stereophile Magazine has an in depth review of the new Bryston BP-17 Cubed Preamplifier.

A full link to the complete review should be available shortly.

Favourate Quotes:

“The Bryston BP-173’s measure¬ments indicate that it is superbly well engineered. It is difficult to see how a preamplifier could perform any better on the test bench!”
John Atkinson

Conclusions:

“Indeed, the BP-173 costs less than any solid-state preamp listed in Class A of the April 2018 edition of “Recommended Components.”

It produced engaging, detailed, tonally captivating, utterly natural sound that approached reference quality. Matched with a top-quality, compatible power amplifier, the BP-17 Cubed is the bargain preamplifier to beat.”

Larry Greenhill

James Tanner - Bryston 05-22-2018 03:49 PM

Hi Folks,

I have the PDF of the full review - email me if you want a copy.
jamestanner@bryston.com

james

James Tanner - Bryston 05-22-2018 03:51 PM

James,

Excellent review. This product should win product of the year. The price performance ratio is outstanding.

Congratulations to your team this is product competes with the finest and most expensive pre Amos in the world at a fraction of the price.

Outstanding!!!

Best regards,
Steohen