AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Sonus Faber Reference Series - Best pre/power or integrated option (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48988)

davros 11-09-2020 06:52 AM

Sonus Faber Reference Series - Best pre/power or integrated option

Wondering what experience members have had with the best matching amplifiers for the Reference Series Sonus Faber speaker range? Referring to models such as IL Cremonese (I own these), Lilium and Aida.

Also be interesting experiences with the new Tradition range Amati or the older Amati models.

My view is the modern Sonus Faber sound, with the right matching electronics, are a far cry from the older SF sound that I personally was never a big fan of although I respect and understand why others would like it.

So far I’ve tried McIntosh 611, Bakoon, Audia Flight Strumento (I own both the stereo amp and preamp), Pass Labs.
Also have a Audio Research Ref 6 that I like for different reasons.

As always, personal preference and room are big factors but as there is little opportunity to demo gear, one is often left buying blind and hoping it works.

User experiences are always helpful and more valuable to me then reviews as I have little faith in most of them.

davros 11-09-2020 10:26 AM

Further to my post, what would be your pick for neutral, cooler sounding options.
My room is pretty well dampened so wanted something to make the sound a bit more lively

zettelsm 11-09-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davros (Post 1020609)
Further to my post, what would be your pick for neutral, cooler sounding options.
My room is pretty well dampened so wanted something to make the sound a bit more lively

With my SF Aidas I love the sound of Dan D'Agostino's Momentum amp and preamp. Though I'd not call the Momentum series electronics "cool", they certainly are dynamic and lively.

I'm using the little powerhouse Momentum S250 stereo amplifier with the Momemtum HD preamp and Momentum phono preamp. To my ears, a match made in heaven.

Good luck with your search,

Steve Z

Antonmb 11-09-2020 08:22 PM

Another vote for D’Agostino here, I’m using the Momentum S250 and HD Preamp with Amati Futuras and it’s a great match. As Steve says, not cool per se, but certainly not overly warm.

PHC1 11-09-2020 08:55 PM

Quite a few choices out there. Boulder, Burmeister for a cooler, more neutral presentation and D’Agostino for a meatier, richer presentation. There are a dozen of others. CH precision, Bricasti, Soulution...

Bryston if trying to stay in the sane price range.

Grasshopper 11-09-2020 10:33 PM

Following this thread!

I’ll be setting my Aidas up when my basement is ready and constructed.

I heard a D’Agostino integrated powering modest Elipsas and was blown away at the sound.

My wife and I heard the the Elipsas and Aidas on the same day...she could tell we were hearing fantastic amplification.

Sounded like real instruments playing.

I’m anxious to get my Aidas settled in and eventually be on the hunt for proper amplification.

Masterlu 11-09-2020 11:11 PM

Aida’s and Burmester here... I would not categorize it as sounding cool, or neutral.

crwilli 11-09-2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1020689)
Aida’s and Burmester here... I would not categorize it as sounding cool, or neutral.

I would classify it as the best sound I have heard.

PHC1 11-09-2020 11:29 PM

And that my friends is because we all hear different. :D

davros 11-12-2020 05:12 AM

Thanks for all the replies.
Have heard Burmester is a good match. I looked previously at the 911MK3, would a stereo have enough power or do you think monos are required?
D’Agostino is a brand Ive always wanted to hear but very expensive in my country and no opportunity to demo.
Tried a Pass Labs X260.8 and thought it sounded ok but not good enough to change my Audia Flight combo.
McIntosh 1.25kw with the Ref 6 was a nice combo, very dynamic but maybe not the last word in resolution.
Bryston monos is a good suggestion too. How does that match up? Is it a more of lively sound for rock music?
Boulder is the one I though might be a good match but again never heard that combo with the reference series.
I’m coming from B&W 800D3 and they were more lively and brighter that ended up being too much of a good thing but do miss that excitement sometimes that the SF doesn’t have.