AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Lamm (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Preamp for M2.2 monoblocks.. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28848)

es347 11-02-2014 04:08 PM

Preamp for M2.2 monoblocks..

I run balanced and no way can I afford to buy the LAMM preamp that has balanced I/Os. I have a MAC C500(SS) preamp. How would it pair with the M2.2s? What is a reasonably priced preamp with remote that would not limit the M2.2s in any way? I would prefer one with a MM phono stage. Thanks in advance!

es347 11-02-2014 08:58 PM

Ok let's try a different tack. How would the M2.2s pair up with the Levinson 326s preamp?

cmalak 11-03-2014 01:34 AM

I have always been a fan of ARC preamps combined with Lamm M series amps. I found the LL2.1 pre plus M1.2 to be a tad dark sounding. I would mate the Ref 5SE with the M1.2s but that does not have an onboard phono plus it retails for $12,995, which I am assuming is a bit more than you are looking to spend (but maybe not). Perhaps a used Ref 5SE in the $8Kish range if you can find one. The other option is the new ARC SP-20 which is supposed to be close in performance to the Ref 5SE in terms of the linestage and that has an MM/MC phono stage which is supposed to be comparable to ARC's PH-8 phono stage. The SP-20 I believe retails for $9K but again perhaps finding a demo or mint used one is an option you might want to consider. Not familiar with ML kit so not helpful on that front.

Good luck.

PS: I have seen many exhibitors at audio shows pair up ARC pres and Lamm M series amps, as well as quite a few AA members here who have that combo or have tried it in the past.

es347 11-04-2014 11:48 AM

Thanks cmalak for your feedback. Not surprised to have ARC recommended..

Car commander 11-04-2014 10:36 PM

I had an Ml326s for 4 years. It sounded great with my dart amp so I thought. When I substituted my Soulution 720 the difference with the Dart amp was huge. I would not get the ML326S if I were you. I would save and get the Lamm preamp used.

The 710 amp made a difference but not as much.

I think there is a synergy when you use the same manufacturer.

thesaint519 11-04-2014 10:45 PM

I have the Lamm M1.2 Ref Monos. There are many preamps that would mate well with your amps. VTL and ARC are among the most recommended. And although I haven't heard the ARC with the Lamm monos, I have heard the VTL 7.5 preamp with them. And I think there are a variety of reasons why people don't choose Lamm Preamps to use with Lamm amps. The #1 reason I've heard is that there is no remote for the Lamm preamps. However, to my ears, the Lamm L2 sounds the most natural. If ur patient, you could find a good used Lamm L1 or another of their former offerings for dirt cheap. And u can use an adapter to convert XLR to RCA if necessary. The Lamm to Lamm combo reigns supreme. Let us know what you decide. Good luck and I hope this helps.

es347 11-05-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car commander (Post 648377)
I had an Ml326s for 4 years. It sounded great with my dart amp so I thought. When I substituted my Soulution 720 the difference with the Dart amp was huge. I would not get the ML326S if I were you. I would save and get the Lamm preamp used.

The 710 amp made a difference but not as much.

I think there is a synergy when you use the same manufacturer.

Thanks Jim. You're not the first guy to tell me that. Will check it out. The only box that doesn't get checked with LAMM is remote control. I'm an old dude with lower back trouble and once in my chair the only thing that causes me to arise is an enlarged prostate. Seriously now, I listen to a music server controlled via ipad and it's a real back saver. Thanks for your feedback!

es347 11-05-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519 (Post 648380)
I have the Lamm M1.2 Ref Monos. There are many preamps that would mate well with your amps. VTL and ARC are among the most recommended. And although I haven't heard the ARC with the Lamm monos, I have heard the VTL 7.5 preamp with them. And I think there are a variety of reasons why people don't choose Lamm Preamps to use with Lamm amps. The #1 reason I've heard is that there is no remote for the Lamm preamps. However, to my ears, the Lamm L2 sounds the most natural. If ur patient, you could find a good used Lamm L1 or another of their former offerings for dirt cheap. And u can use an adapter to convert XLR to RCA if necessary. The Lamm to Lamm combo reigns supreme. Let us know what you decide. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Hey Saint..

I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding LAMM pre and power amp synergy. That holds true for just about all mfrs including MAC. I presently have the C500 feeding a pr of MC501s and it sounds very good indeed...actually hard to imagine getting better sonics so I'm pumped. In an old thread Serge (PHC1) did a comparison of 3 preamps with his M1.2s. The Ayre won out but he did say that the C500P did not in any way limit the M2.2s. I'm thinking I will stay with my C500 initially and no doubt eventually will heed the LAMM preamp siren song. BTW my speakers are Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary MKIIs. Thanks for you comments!

Gavin Hadley

thesaint519 11-30-2014 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by es347 (Post 648460)
Hey Saint.. I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding LAMM pre and power amp synergy. That holds true for just about all mfrs including MAC. I presently have the C500 feeding a pr of MC501s and it sounds very good indeed...actually hard to imagine getting better sonics so I'm pumped. In an old thread Serge (PHC1) did a comparison of 3 preamps with his M1.2s. The Ayre won out but he did say that the C500P did not in any way limit the M2.2s. I'm thinking I will stay with my C500 initially and no doubt eventually will heed the LAMM preamp siren song. BTW my speakers are Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary MKIIs. Thanks for you comments! Gavin Hadley

Which way did you decide to go?

Ralph 06-07-2015 02:12 PM

I use Convergent Audio Legend Pre with my Lamm M1.2, a very good match and including a very good phonostage. I am not the only one here using this combo and we all like it.