AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Movies (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Recommend Blu-Ray concerts with Awesome Sound Qualtiy (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19013)

HamDog 02-03-2013 05:47 PM

Recommend Blu-Ray concerts with Awesome Sound Qualtiy

I don't collect movies. I collect concert videos. This thread is dedicated to recommendations on concerts with awesome sound quality. I know there are some great concerts and performances, but let's keep this dedicated to quality of recording. I'd like to keep this thread dedicated to Blu-Rays with uncompressed multi-channel audio (Dolby Tru-HD, DTS-MA, PCM 5.1, etc.), but it's ok to recommend DVD's that truly stand out. I'll start with a few of my own recommendations:

1. Crossroads - Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2010 - This Blu-Ray has uncompressed 5.1 audio and is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE in terms of sound quality. Performances are awesome as well. This is my go-to demo disc. The recording of this open-air concert is nothing short of fantastic. The voice of Susan Tedeschi in the first track of the 2nd Blu-Ray is my favorite. Nothing short of her and her band playing in your own living room. In my book, 10/10 rating on audio quality.

2. The 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concerts - This was an HBO special that is available on Blu-Ray. Uncompressed 5.1 audio with exceptional sound. Many different artists. Picture quality is just as good as the audio. BB King's voice on the "Thrill is Gone" is one of the best I've heard. Stevie Wonder doing Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" is unforgettable. 10/10 rating on my own scale in terms of audio quality.

3. Roy Orbison's Black & White Night - This Blu-Ray is recorded in DTS-MA. Not only awesome sound, but truly an unforgettable concert with many different artist joining Roy on stage. The video was recorded in Black & White and looks great. The sound quality of this concert puts you dead smack in the best seat in the house. Another 10/10 rating on my list.

4. Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire Live at the Greek Theatre - Recorded in DTS-HD. Fantastic sound and picture (very colorful!). Great sound quality that gets a 9/10 rating in my book.

5. Herbert von Karajan Memorial Concert (Classical) - This is the Berliner Philharmoniker Seiji Ozawa with Anne-Sophie Mutter - This Blu-Ray has uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio. Great picture and audio quality. In my book, the audio section gets a solid 9/10 for quality.

6. Bach Brandenburg Concertos (Classical) - Blu-Ray with PCM 5.1 audio. This is a small group of chamber musicians playing their hearts out while standing during the entire concert. Great video and audio. Another solid 9/10 rating from me for audio quality.

Ok, some popular concerts that disappointed me in audio quality:

Sade - Bring Me Home 2011 - I saw the thread on this board about this concert. Respectfully, I have to disagree with those praises. This is a GREAT concert and I do like Sade. But I would rate the sound quality 7/10 (and that's being generous). Recorded in DTS-MA at 48Khz. I've heard better quality audio from DVD's with regular Dolby Digital. The audio sounded compressed. The vocals weren't open. A bit tinny sounding audio in general. As much as I enjoyed the concert, I think they could have done a much better job with audio engineering.

Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day - Blu-Ray with DTS-MA. An absolutely awesome concert to watch. Great performance by the band. A must-own Blu-Ray for the Zeppelin fan. BUT....the sound quality wasn't as good as I had expected. Lack of separation in the instruments. Didn't capture the out door essence of such a great concert. I would rate this about 7/10.

Santana - Live At Montreux 2011 - Recorded in DTS-MA. I had very high expectations of this Blu-Ray disc. Was highly disappointed in both the performance and the sound quality. Sounds like the engineers just threw this together last minute. Sounds disorganized. Wasn't happy with the performance either. Lacked synergy. I would rate this 5/10 in sound quality.

I have a lot more concerts to review. But I'll rest it here as I get ready for the SuperBowl!

Masterlu 02-03-2013 06:01 PM

Toto - Live from Amsterdam

KingRT 02-03-2013 06:24 PM

Christian Thielman, Wiener Philharmoniker
Symphonies 7,8 and 9 Beethoven

Even if you're not a fan, it is a great introduction.
Thielman is posessed and fun to watch!

LordoftheRingsEE 02-03-2013 06:27 PM

* John Mayer | Where the Light is Love in Los Angeles
* Jeff Beck | performing this week...at the Ronnie Scott's
* Peter Gabriel | New Blood Love in London - In 3D Dimensions
* The Police | Certifiable Love in Buenos Aires
* David Gilmour | Remember that Night Love at the Royal Albert Hall
* Celine Dion | A New Day Love in Las Vegas
* Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds | Love at Radio City
* Michael Jackson's | This Is It Documentary/Behind-the-Scenes Concerts Rehearsing
* The Edge - Jimmy Page - Jack White | It Might Get Loud Documentary/Song Performances - Sounds
* Jethro Tull | Love at Montreux - 2003
* John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers and friends - Eric Clapton - Chris Barber - Mick Taylor | 70th Birthday Concert
Also featuring: Buddy Whittington * Joe Yuele * Tom Canning * Hank Van Sickle

HamDog 02-03-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE (Post 438680)
* David Gilmour | Remember that Night Love at the Royal Albert Hall

* John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers and friends - Eric Clapton - Chris Barber - Mick Taylor | 70th Birthday Concert
Also featuring: Buddy Whittington * Joe Yuele * Tom Canning * Hank Van Sickle
[/COLOR][/B]

Ok, I just ordered these two from Amazon. I have a feeling this thread is gonna make me broke.

And thanks to everyone's suggestions. I'll definately be picking up more as this thread goes on.

Ivan, I see Toto has some great reviews on the audio quality of that concert. I just wish I liked them more. I may still order it in the near future.

KingRT, I can always add to my classical collection and will definitely consider your recommendation. Don't understand why classical Blu-Ray concerts are much more expensive?

stereotek 02-03-2013 08:54 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Of course, some are just for the wife.

Attachment 24225

Pyro 02-03-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 438663)
Toto - Live from Amsterdam

Never heard that before or did we. :scratch2:

o0OBillO0o 02-03-2013 09:50 PM

Adele - Live at the Royal Albert Hall

Dave Matthews at Radio City

thxthx 02-03-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 438818)

How do you rate the Adele disc? I am hesitant with the Dolby soundtrack. How is it?

stereotek 02-03-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thxthx (Post 438849)

How do you rate the Adele disc? I am hesitant with the Dolby soundtrack. How is it?

Sound wise is very good, but lacks deep base. Picture quality is awful, one the worst out there with a lot post digitalization and edge enhancement.