AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Hometown Section (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   I think I am too old for Sting concerts (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40405)

PMCH 08-31-2017 02:10 PM

I think I am too old for Sting concerts

I went with my wife last night to the 57th & 9th tour for Sting at Saratoga Performing Arts center. For me it was a huge disappointment. Sting Jr. was the opening act and it didn't do anything for me. We suffered though it until Sting came on after intermission. When he began to play, the music was so amplified and distorted that it actually hurt our ears. After the first song and a half my wife asked if I was enjoying the concert, which I wasn't, so we both decided to leave. We gave the tickets for our seats to a couple outside on our way out. Best thing about the show was we didn't have a traffic jam to deal with on the way out. We actually like Sting music but with the overamplification we could barely make out his voice. In the future we will only be attending smaller venues. My age must be showing.

edkoz 08-31-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCH (Post 864649)
We actually like Sting music but with the overamplification we could barely make out his voice. In the future we will only be attending smaller venues. My age must be showing.

I know what you mean Paul. We went to a show a couple of years ago where the music was sooo loud that a pair of ear protectors would have been very helpful.
Ed

bart 08-31-2017 03:43 PM

My wife and I left a concert of Lou Reed a couple of years ago.
It was deafeningly loud.
Once in the car, we heard the concert live through a FM station, and it sounded much better.
I always take my personalised ear plugs now.

Garytn 08-31-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 864662)
I always take my personalised ear plugs now.

Me too. I went to a Boz Scaggs concert and had to stuff a drink napkin in my ears. Since then I bring ear plugs along. I just have the disposable foam ones, but they reduce the volume just enough. Since doing that I've noticed I'm not alone.

Begs the question....... Why so loud? It's not like a bunch of twenty somethings were at Boz Scaggs and feeling invulnerable (like I did at that age). Regardless, the foam earplugs are the best 50 cents you can spend for enjoying a concert.

PMCH 08-31-2017 04:18 PM

After we left, my wife told me take she had ear plugs in the car for the airshow in Cleveland this weekend. She said she didn't even think about it. With everyone standing in their seats it wasn't enjoyable anyway.
I am going to see Boz Scaggs on Sept. 12 at the Troy Music Hall, my favorite venue. I will be sure to bring earplugs - just in case.

jdandy 08-31-2017 04:20 PM

I'll wait for the Blue-ray concert release. Then I can watch it and control the volume to my personal satisfaction. ;)

I won't have to be distracted with all the cellphone screens while the die-hard fans attempt to capture video of the performance instead of actually watching the performance.

People standing on their seats in front of me would truly piss me off.

PMCH 08-31-2017 04:53 PM

Dan, I really like the Blue-ray concert of Sting in Berlin from my comfy couch with no distractions.

mikem 08-31-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 864668)
I'll wait for the Blue-ray concert release. Then I can watch it and control the volume to my personal satisfaction. ;)

I won't have to be distracted with all the cellphone screens while the die-hard fans attempt to capture video of the performance instead of actually watching the performance.

People standing on their seats in front of me would truly piss me off.

I was at a Mark Knopfler concert in Austin a couple of years ago and an idiot in front of me kept his oversized phone up in front of me. After politly asking him to put it away he refused. I went to a security gaurd and explained what was happening and he went to chat with him about it. The guy argues with the security gaurd and is promply booted out. I gave him a big smile on his way out. People really need to be more considerate about this at concerts. As a side note ive been to three concerts at the Royal Albert Hall in the last two years and its not tolerated there at all.

Masterlu 08-31-2017 07:16 PM

I stopped going to concerts about 15 years ago. The Eagles was my last, and it was great!

GreginNH1 08-31-2017 07:21 PM

My 30 year son walked out of a Steven Tyler concert this week because it was ear-bleedingly loud.

It makes me chuckle since I remember how loud he would listen to music as a teen.