AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Feels good to be done (almost). (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42761)

KapHn8d 04-17-2018 05:08 PM

Feels good to be done (almost).

Well, it took me a while, but I'm almost ready to call it done (for now). I still need a stand or table to get the center channel off the floor, but outside that, I think I'm going to take a break and enjoy it.

This is my first home theater... dedicated or otherwise. I wouldn't have been able to do it without all the incredible guidance and help I received from AA'ers here in the forum, at Ivan's event in the Cape, and the many face-to-face discussions in between. You guys even got me to call my home builder mid-framing and reconfigure the plans to accommodate better room dimensions. I've learned a lot, but I'm still a newbie. Some of my component selections were based on financial limitations, but I've hopefully built a solid foundation (on a budget) that I can incrementally upgrade over time.

So here are the CliffsNotes:
  • Sony VPL-VW385ES 4K/HDR projector
  • Screen Innovations Zero Edge Slate 1.2 projection screen (150" @ 16:9) w/256K color LED accent lighting kit
  • Marantz AV8802A pre-amp
  • Marantz MM8077 multi-channel amp (x2 so each speaker has its own power channel)
  • Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 for L,C,R (the Venere center is probably the weak point in the room right now)
  • Bowers and Wilkins CWM7.3 (x6 for side and rear surround)
  • Bowers and Wilkins CCM7.3 (x4 for ATMOS height channels)
  • JL Audio Fathom f112v2 (x2)
  • OPPO UDP‑203 for BluRay
  • nVidia Shield TV Pro for streaming platform (VUDU, TIDAL, Netflix, etc)
  • URC Total Control 2.0 MRX-10 "brain" with TDC-7100 controller for automation

We went with some custom built cozy furniture over traditional theater seating... motorized reclining sofa up top and a extra-deep sectional with super-wide chaise and ottoman down below.

The room is still getting dialed in and the speakers are still breaking in, so I'm sure that overall performance will improve over time. This is configured as a Dolby 9.2.4 ATMOS room, so a pre-amp upgrade in a few years might yield better surround channel performance as the technology settles in and gains wider adoption. I can already see the center channel and L/R mains might be something I'll consider upgrading before anything else. The power configuration should make it easy to peel off speakers to better amplification as budget allows since they are individual balanced outputs from the pre-amp. This has been a great learning experience and I know I have a long way to go before I can run with the big dogs around here...

I'll tell you this though... it sounds and looks awesome. This weekend will be the first time another AA member will have a chance to experience it and form their own opinion. I'm curious how that will go... hopefully, I'll pass with flying colors. ;)

Thanks again for all the help!

Cheers,
Clayton

ps. Mad Max Fury Road UHD makes for one helluva demo BluRay.

bart 04-17-2018 05:39 PM

Wow Clayton, well done! :thumbsup:
I imagine you feel really comfortable in that room.
Very cosy also.

I really don't find you should be in a hurry to upgrade things now.
It's all great gear.
What surprises me a bit is your choice of different brand speakers for your LCR channels; why didn't you go for a full B&W system?

runnin17 04-17-2018 05:43 PM

What a clean setup!!!

Oddly similar to what I have in mind when I finally get the opportunity to design my own home theater. Great job [emoji106]

SL1800 04-17-2018 05:44 PM

Very nice!!

Masterlu 04-17-2018 05:53 PM

Clayton... Super Job! enjoy your hard work. :ok:

W9TR 04-17-2018 06:18 PM

Beautiful theater! Enjoy it in good health.

KapHn8d 04-17-2018 06:25 PM

I already owned the Sonus Fabers. I had to choose between trying to sell them and buy something new or just keep them, use for now, and upgrade later. I would really like a bit better performance set for the LCR's, so I'm going to take some time and do a little research while my recover the bank account.

Thanks! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 911724)
Wow Clayton, well done! :thumbsup:
I imagine you feel really comfortable in that room.
Very cosy also.

I really don't find you should be in a hurry to upgrade things now.
It's all great gear.
What surprises me a bit is your choice of different brand speakers for your LCR channels; why didn't you go for a full B&W system?

Audiophilehi 04-17-2018 07:59 PM

Super nice Clayton! Congratulations!

Jbags 04-17-2018 09:31 PM

Looks beautiful!!! Well done and wish all the best and many years of enjoyment

80B 04-17-2018 09:41 PM

Tremendous setup, congratulations Clayton!