AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pass Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Upgraded Umbilical Cord For Pass Labs XP-22 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47436)

LarsT 01-13-2020 03:11 PM

Upgraded Umbilical Cord For Pass Labs XP-22

Has anyone upgraded the umbilical cord in the XP-22? If so, to what cable? Does it need upgrading? I would think the stock cord could be improved upon.

JoeN 01-13-2020 03:49 PM

From what I understand, some use the Revelation Audio Labs DB25. I like the present aircraft grade connector and socket that came on mine though.

daveneumann 01-13-2020 08:22 PM

Huh...never thought of upgrading it. I considered it to be proprietary without other options.

Just curious, what would you look to improve by changing the cable?

Crumhorn 01-14-2020 12:38 AM

The XP-20 & XP-30 used cable(s) with DB-25 connectors to link their control/power supply chassis to the gain chassis(s). Revelation Audio Labs, among others, made replacement cables that some considered big improvements over the stock cables, due to better, shielded, connectors and the separation of the power & control wires into physically separate, shielded, cables. (That reunite at the connectors.) I purchased the RAL cables for my XP-30, & found the improvement modest but worthwhile.
When Pass (the company) designed the XP-22 & upcoming XP-32 they apparently learned from this, choosing a completely different connector, and, I believe, segregating & shielding the power & control wires from each other within the new cabling. I have not heard of anyone offering "improved" cables for these new models. The DB-25 connectors of the RAL & other 3rd party cables DO NOT fit the new connector sockets on the XP-22 & 32.

SOTA Cosmos TT (vacuum, Electronic Flywheel), SME V, Koetsu Rosewood Signature
Esoteric X-05 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck
Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage
Pass Labs XP-30 & Hovland HP-100 preamps
Edge G8+ laser-biased monoblocks & Classé M-700 monoblocks
Rockport Atria & Infinity IRS Beta Speakers
Audience AU24 SX Phono cable, MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs
Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference DualConduit DB-25 umbilical cables for Pass XP-30
Shunyata Denali 6000T power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs
Audio Magic Ultimate SHD Bees Wax Fuse, Synergistic Research Blue & Black fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses
Klaudio LP200 ultrasonic RCM

LarsT 01-14-2020 05:55 PM

Apparently RAL has a new product for the XP-22.

Thank you for the information on the updated Pass Labs cable. That is very helpful.

Higgens 01-14-2020 06:11 PM

Lars - are you considering a change to Pass Labs amplification?

Crumhorn 01-14-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsT (Post 992349)
Apparently RAL has a new product for the XP-22.

Thank you for the information on the updated Pass Labs cable. That is very helpful.

I took a brief look at the RAL website, & don't see any mention of such a cable, but perhaps the website hasn't been updated yet.

In any event, be aware that the DB-25 versions for the XP -20 & -30 are VERY stiff, need a LOT of clearance behind the components, & require very shallow bends to change direction. You need to allow extra length for this when ordering.
That is, of course, assuming that the cables themselves have remained the same...

Masterlu 01-14-2020 09:59 PM

https://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/...ower-cable.jpg

LarsT 01-15-2020 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgens (Post 992351)
Lars - are you considering a change to Pass Labs amplification?

I picked up an X250.8 last week. I wanted to dip my feet in the water so to speak.

LarsT 01-15-2020 05:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 992353)
I took a brief look at the RAL website, & don't see any mention of such a cable, but perhaps the website hasn't been updated yet.

In any event, be aware that the DB-25 versions for the XP -20 & -30 are VERY stiff, need a LOT of clearance behind the components, & require very shallow bends to change direction. You need to allow extra length for this when ordering.

That is, of course, assuming that the cables themselves have remained the same...

From RAL:

1.5-meter length Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference[emoji769] umbilical power cable for the Pass Labs XP-22 and Pass Labs XP-27 preamplifiers.

Featuring Ceramic MicroSphere[emoji769] conduit and Conductive Carbon Infused Composite[emoji769] jacket technology, in addition to all our other best design features.

A resounding encore to our extremely successful DB-25 umbilical power cable for other Pass Labs XP amps.

Attachment 61098