AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Correct tap 2 or 4 Ohm for the 1,7 Ohm curve (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47932)

dag johnsen 04-13-2020 05:27 PM

Correct tap 2 or 4 Ohm for the 1,7 Ohm curve

The Infinity Kappa 9.2i in extended mode with a minimum of 1.7 Ohm @ 30 Hz
( Could be 1.6 Ohm , that is What the Infinity manual says )

Please comment. Maximum impedance at 800 hz 5,6 ohms.

Charles 04-13-2020 09:57 PM

What Mac amp are you using?

dag johnsen 04-13-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1001966)
What Mac amp are you using?

Hi Charles, I use the MC2KW.

best regards Dag

Charles 04-14-2020 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dag johnsen (Post 1001970)
Hi Charles, I use the MC2KW.

best regards Dag

I would use the 4 ohm tap. I don't like the 2 ohm tap on Macs. You have ample current with a 2KW, no question. I am not of the camp to impedance mismatch with Macs. If it sounds better with using an 8 ohm tap with a speaker with a 1.5 ohm minimum, you don't have a big enough Mac amp, IMO. So by severely stressing out the Mac amp you can create a larger amp, no question, but Mac does not recommend it and neither do I. It shortens the life of the amp. Off the 4 ohm tap I run an XVX with a minimum impedance of 1.6 at 326 Hz with nominal impedance of 4 ohms. My 1.25's rarely exceed 12 watts and never become hot even under very high sound levels. I am sure your 2K's will drive the Infinity's in a breeze with the 4 ohm tap and sound great. Check to see if they get really hot. I doubt they will.:yes:

Best Charles

cleeds 04-14-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1001979)
... by severely stressing out the Mac amp you can create a larger amp, no question, but Mac does not recommend it and neither do I ...

Will you please explain what this means??

W9TR 04-14-2020 09:28 AM

Correct tap 2 or 4 Ohm for the 1,7 Ohm curve

The technically correct tap would be 2 ohms. This is because the output impedance of the amp is lower using the 2 Ohm tap and the response will be flatter in the bass region where the impedance dip occurs.

Most people when trying the 2 Ohm tap do not level match the output with an SPL meter. Then the 2 Ohm tap sounds worse because the output level is lower. This is a common mistake.

Either the 2 Ohm or 4 Ohm tap will work fine.

I recommend making the level matched comparison and choosing the tap that sounds best to you.

Tom

dag johnsen 04-14-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1001979)
I would use the 4 ohm tap. I don't like the 2 ohm tap on Macs. You have ample current with a 2KW, no question. I am not of the camp to impedance mismatch with Macs. If it sounds better with using an 8 ohm tap with a speaker with a 1.5 ohm minimum, you don't have a big enough Mac amp, IMO. So by severely stressing out the Mac amp you can create a larger amp, no question, but Mac does not recommend it and neither do I. It shortens the life of the amp. Off the 4 ohm tap I run an XVX with a minimum impedance of 1.6 at 326 Hz with nominal impedance of 4 ohms. My 1.25's rarely exceed 12 watts and never become hot even under very high sound levels. I am sure your 2K's will drive the Infinity's in a breeze with the 4 ohm tap and sound great. Check to see if they get really hot. I doubt they will.:yes:

Best Charles

Thank you Charles, interesting info and I currently use the 4 ohm tap. Will test the 2 ohm and see if I hear a difference.

Dag

dag johnsen 04-14-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1001991)
The technically correct tap would be 2 ohms. This is because the output impedance of the amp is lower using the 2 Ohm tap and the response will be flatter in the bass region where the impedance dip occurs.

Most people when trying the 2 Ohm tap do not level match the output with an SPL meter. Then the 2 Ohm tap sounds worse because the output level is lower. This is a common mistake.

Either the 2 Ohm or 4 Ohm tap will work fine.

I recommend making the level matched comparison and choosing the tap that sounds best to you.

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks! I will compare both 2 and 4 ohm taps and level match.

Dag :thumbsup:

W9TR 04-15-2020 10:09 AM

Please let us know the results. I’m envious - those are great amplifiers you have Dag.

dag johnsen 04-15-2020 06:07 PM

today 4 ohm testing

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1002105)
Please let us know the results. I’m envious - those are great amplifiers you have Dag.

I can report that with the 4 ohm taps I had no trouble at all playing around 200-300 watts continuously with peaks close to 2000 watts. (no flashing power guard lights) I guess I am not at all close to the limits.
Will hopefully get to test 2 ohm tap tomorrow.
2 weeks ago we pushed a pair of Mcintosh XRT2.1k with MC1,2 and we saw both orange and red lights because we emptied the amp completely, peaking at 4800 watts and steady 1200 watts output. It was a big room.

Dag