AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   ELIPSA SE for a "smallish" room (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31783)

Bavarian05 07-21-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteban (Post 705720)
Well, folks, it's official. Just placed the order for the Elipsa SE's in red violin finish. My dream speaker, basically (since I will never be able to afford the Strads!) :) Crossing my fingers that they work well in my room. I will keep you posted!

Congratulations dude!

Beautiful choice.

Will look forward to seeing photos!

cmalak 07-22-2015 01:50 AM

Esteban...glad to hear it :thumbsup:

esteban 07-22-2015 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavarian05 (Post 715134)
Congratulations dude! Beautiful choice. Will look forward to seeing photos!

Thank you! There are actually quite a few photos on this thread. Check out the first few pages. :)

esteban 07-22-2015 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariess (Post 715116)
Have you thought about Audio Research?

The VSi60 is the deal. Or the VSi75 if you can swing it.

I do not have much experience with Audio Research, but they are priced beyond my budget (for an integrated amp).

Actually, the first time I listened to one of their tube integrateds was this weekend, at my dealer's, prior to picking up the two other solid-state amps I mentioned earlier. I do believe it was the VSi75. It was a brand new model (not part of the Galileo series, though) but it felt a little flimsy (construction-wise) next to my Prima Luna, in all honesty. I easily lifted it by myself and placed it on the rack, whereas I could have never done that with my Prima Luna, at least not without breaking a sweat. My dealer had a pair of $40K Raidhos sounding spectacular with a VAC integrated using a quad of KT-88's. He then swapped the VAC for the Audio Research, but this time the AR used a quad of KT-150's. I thought the AR would blow away the VAC, specially with the KT-150's, but it wasn't even close. He had to bring the volume up to its maximum level (103!) and even then it could barely keep up with the Raidhos. I was really surprised by that. The sound was lifeless and weak. The amp had no juice and could not drive the Raidhos at all. The tubes had 25 hours, according to the amps's meters.

The more I experience other so called "higher-end" brands, the more my respect for Prima Luna grows.

Bavarian05 07-22-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteban (Post 715162)
Thank you! There are actually quite a few photos on this thread. Check out the first few pages. :)

Sorry, I am behind the curve on this thread!
Beautiful photos. Really gorgeous speakers.
Enjoy!

esteban 07-22-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavarian05 (Post 715193)
Sorry, I am behind the curve on this thread! Beautiful photos. Really gorgeous speakers. Enjoy!

:) Thank you! They are gorgeous indeed! I am still pinching myself.

ariess 07-22-2015 07:16 PM

From that description it almost sounds like the Audio Research unit was broken or otherwise compromised! I owned the VSi75 and the last thing you would call it was lifeless. It drove my B&W 802 Diamonds with authority and with a beauty that brought tears to my eyes. Something doesn't compute. If your dealer can't show off the virtues of Audio Research I suggest you try another dealer who can.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

antipop 07-23-2015 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteban (Post 714838)

I'll cut straight to the chase:

I would take the Prima Luna any day.

That doesn't surprise me at all. The Elipsa are sensitive to the quality of the watt not the amount.

I drive mine with 24W so you have more than enough headroom.

drabbish 07-23-2015 11:21 AM

When one says quality does that focus on being type A amp or A/B. I read different answers to both types with quality.

cmalak 07-23-2015 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drabbish (Post 715368)
When one says quality does that focus on being type A amp or A/B. I read different answers to both types with quality.

No...it generally means how well designed and implemented is the power supply.