AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Dynaudio Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   What powers your Dyns? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11745)

EightZeroZeroDelta 11-12-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKA_Hyfi (Post 393537)
Well I have been enjoying my Tertiary setup the more I listen to it.

I replaced stranded RS speaker cable for my Tara Labs Prism solid core wires for some solid improvements. It's hard to believe how good a little pair of bookshelf speakers can really sound.

What the heck am I talking about? My little Audience 42s driven by an Odyssey Stratos. Not the most refined amp, but the power and slam to drive the little guys to their potential. The older Hafler 945 Pre is the weak link after the OPPO93 for CD playback. I put this together to be able to stream movies and music to a small 2ch setup in the Family room.

If I want better sound, and want to fill the FR and the Kitchen, I drive the secondary setup of JM Labs Tantal 509s, Rotel 1052 Integrated, and another OPPO93, or the main LR rig.

But, back to the 42s. They are putting out what feels like deeper bass than my large Clearfields. Like the rest of the Audience line, they are still a bit rolled off at the top but are holding up to the music I regularly play. I listen to a wide range but I lean towards bass heavy Fusion, Jazz-Fusion and 60s-70s Rock. They can convincingly reproduce the bass on Marcus Miller M2, maybe not to the bottom but still nicely. I am setup in a nearfield, 8 feet from the speakers, and not even on stands or at the same height. If setup properly and one was blindfolded before entering the room, they would swear it was a bigger speaker. My recent finds are Chad Smith and the Meatbats, and out of that, Jeff Kollman.

Anyway, thought I would bump this along and give praise to one of Dynaudio's smallest offering.

Cheers, now back to another Langunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin

Thank you for the detailed insight into your system! It sounds like you are very much enjoying your Dyns.

Nacka324 12-02-2012 11:43 AM

Hi,

I'm new here.

I have Dynaudio Focus 220 MkII powered by an integrated Mcintosh MA6900.
I use Sonos ZP90 and Macbook as source via a Moon 300D DAC.

I'm quite pleased with the sound, but still feel that I could have a more powerful and faster amplifier. I have tried a few amplifiers in my home and I know that it is possible to get a more transparent sound and more "punchy" bass with other amplifiers. (I have tried Musical Fidelity m6i and SimAudio Moon 5.3rs in my home but with those the high frequencies became fatiguing in my room.). Overall I however think that the Mcintosh was best as it gave a more pleasant sound. (I listen to a lot of Jazz and softer Music.)

I'm considering a new power amplifier (Maybe MC302). Some dealers recommend Naim with Dynaudio, other recommend SimAudio Moon. I think you get good results with both depending on what sound you like.

Dynaudios generally have low sensitivity and are very power hungry. Be prepared to spend much more on the amplifier than on the speaker. Costly? Yes, but the good thing is that you will be rewarded.

/Nacka

chessman 12-02-2012 01:20 PM

Nacka324, welcome aboard! :wave:

Josquin des Prez 12-02-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacka324 (Post 404438)
Hi,

I'm new here.

I have Dynaudio Focus 220 MkII powered by an integrated Mcintosh MA6900.
I use Sonos ZP90 and Macbook as source via a Moon 300D DAC.

I'm quite pleased with the sound, but still feel that I could have a more powerful and faster amplifier. I have tried a few amplifiers in my home and I know that it is possible to get a more transparent sound and more "punchy" bass with other amplifiers. (I have tried Musical Fidelity m6i and SimAudio Moon 5.3rs in my home but with those the high frequencies became fatiguing in my room.). Overall I however think that the Mcintosh was best as it gave a more pleasant sound. (I listen to a lot of Jazz and softer Music.)

I'm considering a new power amplifier (Maybe MC302). Some dealers recommend Naim with Dynaudio, other recommend SimAudio Moon. I think you get good results with both depending on what sound you like.

Dynaudios generally have low sensitivity and are very power hungry. Be prepared to spend much more on the amplifier than on the speaker. Costly? Yes, but the good thing is that you will be rewarded.

/Nacka

Welcome to AA Nacka!

Your observations about Dyns with Sim match mine. In early 2011 when I started assembling a new system, I auditioned a Simaudio Moon i3.3 integrated with my Dynaudio Audience 52SE. I thought the sound was great, but I also became fatigued by it after a few hours. T+A Powerplant did the same thing. I also auditioned the Naim Uniti and Nait XS and I was able to enjoy it for as long as I played it (8, 10 hours or more). I ended up with Naim UnitiQute at first. It sounded very dynamic, neutral and never fatiguing. Since then I've moved up to better Naim (202/250) and Dynaudio gear (first Contour S1.4, then S3.4, and now Esotar2 upgrades to the S3.4), but those are just further improvement and refinements over the great qualities I experienced with the UnitiQute and 52SE.

Nacka324 12-03-2012 04:30 AM

Hello,

Thank you for welcoming me to AA!

/Nacka

KahunaCanuck 12-03-2012 02:40 PM

Welcome Nacka!

I'm surprised you found the Musical Fidelity fatiguing, though I don't think I have heard that model. Newer Mc amps will be a little "faster" for sure. Half the fun is trying stuff out if you are able to in your area...:thumbsup:

Pider 12-03-2012 02:48 PM

Nacka324.... welcome! :wave:

joeinid 12-03-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pider (Post 405003)

+1

Welcome!

Mr Froggy 12-09-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pider (Post 405003)

+1 Welcome

Try Accustic Arts, it will be a wonderfull experience especially if you're listenning jazz :music:

Jack in Wilmington 12-09-2012 10:12 AM

Welcome Nacka 324. As you see you're in good hands here, being a Dynaudio owner. We come in all shapes and sizes.