AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Dynaudio Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   What powers your Dyns? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11745)

Intamin 10-23-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceTripper (Post 372488)
The 110LP is nice but the 310LP is way better, especially if you get into a low output MC cartridge. The 110LP just doesn't have any loading options for LO MC. Once I ordered my Talisman I knew I had to upgrade from the 110LP. However, while I had a Dynavector 20x2H (HO MC) it was fantastic.

Analog is infectious. :D

I ended up having the 310LP in the house for about 2 weeks to compare to the 110LP. I couldn't tell the difference between the two :dunno: I'm not complaining though, saved me some money. I suppose the extra features of the 310 would be nice if I ever changed TTs or Carts, but for now no need.

Josquin des Prez 10-23-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intamin (Post 382748)
I ended up having the 310LP in the house for about 2 weeks to compare to the 110LP. I couldn't tell the difference between the two :dunno: I'm not complaining though, saved me some money. I suppose the extra features of the 310 would be nice if I ever changed TTs or Carts, but for now no need.

Are you using a high output cartridge (MC or MM)? The 110LP is great for that. If you move to a low output cartridge, that is where you'll really see the improvement. If the 310LP you borrowed was not yet burned in then you didn't really hear it. The Moons phono preamps aren't that good until they've had some time on them. I remember the 110LP being pretty bad until I got the first 24 hours on it. Then it got substantially better. In that case I could see a burned in 110LP sounding better than a 310LP with no time at all on a high output cartridge.

Intamin 10-24-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceTripper (Post 382749)
Are you using a high output cartridge (MC or MM)? The 110LP is great for that. If you move to a low output cartridge, that is where you'll really see the improvement. If the 310LP you borrowed was not yet burned in then you didn't really hear it. The Moons phono preamps aren't that good until they've had some time on them. I remember the 110LP being pretty bad until I got the first 24 hours on it. Then it got substantially better. In that case I could see a burned in 110LP sounding better than a 310LP with no time at all on a high output cartridge.

Both were fresh out of the box, and yes, my cart is a high output MC...it actually functions as an MM while being an MC cart. I don't know how a phono amp could burn in given no moving parts and the extremely simple function of amplifying a low gain signal. Then again, I don't subscribe to 99% of the audiophile "magic" :D

Josquin des Prez 10-24-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intamin (Post 383230)
Both were fresh out of the box, and yes, my cart is a high output MC...it actually functions as an MM while being an MC cart. I don't know how a phono amp could burn in given no moving parts and the extremely simple function of amplifying a low gain signal. Then again, I don't subscribe to 99% of the audiophile "magic" :D

When I got my Moon 110LP from my dealer. It was fresh out of the box. I was A/Bing it directly with a Dynavector P-75 phono preamp in my own system at home. At the end of the day, I hated it and told my dealer I wanted to return it. They convinced me to give it another couple days. Sure enough, it's characteristics changed in reference to the other phono preamp and after about 25 hours it had gotten better and surpassed the DV P-75. This wasn't a matter of just getting used to it. I had a reference for direct comparison. In fact, I wanted to like the DV more because it was a better deal and more configurable. But that did not turn out that way.

I don't know why you think burn-in has to do something with moving parts. And why don't you think running an electrical current through something for a few days can't change it?

Intamin 10-24-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceTripper (Post 383254)
When I got my Moon 110LP from my dealer. It was fresh out of the box. I was A/Bing it directly with a Dynavector P-75 phono preamp in my own system at home. At the end of the day, I hated it and told my dealer I wanted to return it. They convinced me to give it another couple days. Sure enough, it's characteristics changed in reference to the other phono preamp and after about 25 hours it had gotten better and surpassed the DV P-75. This wasn't a matter of just getting used to it. I had a reference for direct comparison. In fact, I wanted to like the DV more because it was a better deal and more configurable. But that did not turn out that way.

Dealer tells you it'll sound better tomorrow, and sure enough it sounds better tomorrow. Too many things affect how we hear to say that burn in caused you to like the 110 the next day. Mood, temperature, head location, health, etc. There are plenty of other conscious and unconscious things that could have affected your preference for me to take an anecdotal story and assume it has any merit for me, or for anyone else, much less be evidence of burn in.

Quote:

I don't know why you think burn-in has to do something with moving parts. And why don't you think running an electrical current through something for a few days can't change it?
Things that break in generally have to have some moving part that loosens up over time and thus breaks in, cars for example, and in some instances speakers as well given the nature of drivers. What could possibly change from sending an electrical signal through something that would affect the sound? Nothing is loosening up, nothing measurable is happening. If you send the electrical signal through on day 1 and measure X, and then do it again on day 2 or day 200 and still measure X, then it's just X. What rational, logical reason, would there be to assume such a thing as burn in exists, and that it wasn't just a change in a plethora of other factors that caused you to think you hear something different?

Josquin des Prez 10-24-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intamin (Post 383265)
Dealer tells you it'll sound better tomorrow, and sure enough it sounds better tomorrow. Too many things affect how we hear to say that burn in caused you to like the 110 the next day. Mood, temperature, head location, health, etc. There are plenty of other conscious and unconscious things that could have affected your preference for me to take an anecdotal story and assume it has any merit for me, or for anyone else, much less be evidence of burn in.

Things that break in generally have to have some moving part that loosens up over time and thus breaks in, cars for example, and in some instances speakers as well given the nature of drivers. What could possibly change from sending an electrical signal through something that would affect the sound? Nothing is loosening up, nothing measurable is happening. If you send the electrical signal through on day 1 and measure X, and then do it again on day 2 or day 200 and still measure X, then it's just X. What rational, logical reason, would there be to assume such a thing as burn in exists, and that it wasn't just a change in a plethora of other factors that caused you to think you hear something different?

I was just trying to offer help. I'm not interested in the argument, so I'm not going to participate in it further. :)

Intamin 10-24-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceTripper (Post 383269)
I was just trying to offer help. I'm not interested in the argument, so I'm not going to participate in it further. :)

I'm not sure what you were trying to help with, but fair enough if you want to end this conversation. You buy into the "magic" of audio; I don't. Regardless of what either of us says, I don't see either of us coming off our respective position, much similar to people on opposite sides of political parties. I'll bow out now as well as I've read plenty of burn in, cable, ss amps sound the same debates that another one isn't necessary.

AKA_Hyfi 10-30-2012 01:56 PM

I recently put together a small 2ch setup for music and movies in my family room consisting of

Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner
Odyssey Stratos Amp
OPPO 93
Dynaudio 42s
Tara Labs ICs and Speaker Cable

Main setup used a Counterpoint NPS400 with NOS RCA Cleartops 6FQ7 to drive 82s

EightZeroZeroDelta 11-05-2012 12:22 AM

Anyone have the chance to hear Dyns being pushed by Modwright?

arien 11-06-2012 02:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, This is my humble setup with Dyns

Amplifier: Mcintosh MC275 MKVI with Shuguang Treasures KT-88Z, Gold Lion 12AX7 & Gold Lion 12AT7
Preamp: Sumo Athena II
DAC: Rega DAC
Transport: Sony NS9100ES
Streamer: SB Touch
Interconnect: Nordost Heimdall, Chord Chorus, Transparent Music Plus
Digital cables: Black Cat Veloce, DH LAB Silver sonic d-75
Power Cables: QED Qonduit
CD Player: Marantz CD-63SE
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour S1.4 on Stand 4