AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Help Me Decide What To Upgrade Next (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44848)

Audiophilehi 01-11-2019 03:12 PM

Help Me Decide What To Upgrade Next

I'm on to my next upgrade so please help me decide which would be the best selection.

From McIntosh c2500 to c1100
McIntosh MC452 to MC611
From PS Audio PPP to P15

2fastdriving 01-11-2019 06:18 PM

if you have a crappy power situation, do that first. If not, the next place to go is the preamp. Usually a preamp is a better upgrade than a power amp, unless you are severely underpowered or poorly matched for your speakers. With an MC452, you're not.

Audiophilehi 01-11-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 948837)
if you have a crappy power situation, do that first. If not, the next place to go is the preamp. Usually a preamp is a better upgrade than a power amp, unless you are severely underpowered or poorly matched for your speakers. With an MC452, you're not.

Hi Marc....Living in Staten Island, N.Y. with plenty of neighbors I would have to say my power situation is challenging. Back when I purchased the PS Audio PPP their was a very noticeable improvement. Then when I added better power cables there was improvement still. I just recently added the Furutech Flux-50 NCF cable from my PPP to the power cable to the receptacle. I must say this was a major improvement. I’m sure there’s still room for improvements in my power delivery.

I do agree with you that a preamp upgrade will have a noticeable improvement. Reading some online reviews of the benefits confirms it.

Again I will agree that I am not underpowered or have a poor match with my speakers. This might not be the best option. I do love my MC452. It’s a great amp but I do miss having monoblocks. :scratch2:

Please keep the comments and votes coming. :smoking:

2fastdriving 01-11-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 948847)
Hi Marc....Living in Staten Island, N.Y. with plenty of neighbors I would have to say my power situation is challenging. Back when I purchased the PS Audio PPP their was a very noticeable improvement. Then when I added better power cables there was improvement still. I just recently added the Furutech Flux-50 NCF cable from my PPP to the power cable to the receptacle. I must say this was a major improvement. I’m sure there’s still room for improvements in my power delivery.

I do agree with you that a preamp upgrade will have a noticeable improvement. Reading some online reviews of the benefits confirms it.

Again I will agree that I am not underpowered or have a poor match with my speakers. This might not be the best option. I do love my MC452. It’s a great amp but I do miss having monoblocks. :scratch2:

Please keep the comments and votes coming. :smoking:

I didn't care much about power until I discovered just how bad mine was. In my case, I have 14ga wire and a terrible power drop when a load is applied. When my system is powered up, the input voltage reads 111vac. When powered off, I have 120vac.

A P10 totally transformed my system because prior to that, my gear was running off 111 volts!

JMD 01-11-2019 07:22 PM

I'm with Marc, P15 then c1100 with power amps last if at all.

Audiophilehi 01-11-2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMD (Post 948849)
I'm with Marc, P15 then c1100 with power amps last if at all.

Thanks Jack....I'm starting to lean a bit. :D

Levitator 01-11-2019 07:59 PM

I went from the c2500 to c1100 and from a 452 to 1.2’s so similar to what you are looking at (although the 1.2’s were quite different to 600’s) - as I can’t comment on your power situation my advice would be to prioritise the pre amp. The c1100 is a great unit and will make a noticeable difference to your system from my experience! Good luck!!

Masterlu 01-11-2019 08:39 PM

Paul... it all starts at the wall. :yes:

Audiophilehi 01-11-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitator (Post 948854)
I went from the c2500 to c1100 and from a 452 to 1.2’s so similar to what you are looking at (although the 1.2’s were quite different to 600’s) - as I can’t comment on your power situation my advice would be to prioritise the pre amp. The c1100 is a great unit and will make a noticeable difference to your system from my experience! Good luck!!

Thanks Levitator.

Audiophilehi 01-11-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 948861)
Paul... it all starts at the wall. :yes:

I do agree Ivan. The Flux-50 NCF has been a revelation. No matter which direction I go first the PS Audio P-15 or P20 will be in my system.