AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   VPI Industries (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   HW-40 thoughts so far (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49377)

Masterlu 01-14-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 1029264)
Thanks for the feedback. I really do enjoy this table, I spent more time listening last night and I'm still amazed at how quiet it is. The table with the 12" fatboy and the Soundsmith Paua are an excellent combination.

Cool Beans! :)

Maks 03-11-2021 06:36 PM

I'm not planning on selling my Classic 2, but I have to say I might be a direct drive convert. I like the push button for 33/45 and very quick time to get up to speed. It's taken me a bit to not put my hand on the platter to stop it before changing sides. Like I said in my first post there are many variables here in comparison to the Classic 2, but I am extremely pleased with this upgrade.

Formerly YB-2 03-12-2021 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 1029137)
I won't be using the VPI weight, but I may give the periphery ring a go with a couple records, though I'm in no hurry to try that.

Am wondering what record weight you might be using? The reason I ask is I've used VPI's and several others, but was pleasantly surprised with the obvious improvement with the Stillpoints weight. When I loaned to a friend to try, it worked so well that he kept it and I had to purchase another (I did owe him :D).

Maks 03-12-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1034674)
Am wondering what record weight you might be using? The reason I ask is I've used VPI's and several others, but was pleasantly surprised with the obvious improvement with the Stillpoints weight. When I loaned to a friend to try, it worked so well that he kept it and I had to purchase another (I did owe him :D).

I use the Stillpoints LPI v1 that I grabbed from Ivan a couple years back. I don't always use it, more so when I'm sitting down for a listening session vs just background music while I work. At first I was worried about the additional weight, but it weighs roughly the same as VPI's included weight.

Formerly YB-2 03-13-2021 06:33 AM

:thumbsup: Have found the LPI to be a tweak that punches well above its weight ($$). My friend is very much an audio skeptic, but he listened to 3 LPs in a row and announced he was keeping the LPI V2. Luckily, Ivan had a V2 in stock as a replacement. Haven't compared them head-to-head, but the V2 seems to be a bit different to my audio brain memory of the V1.

Great to read your success with the HW-40. Do wish VPI would 'flesh-out' their DD TT line (non-anniversary models, retrofits, etc.) as I'm jonesing for an upgrade. I'll give them the rest of this year before going elsewhere.

Maks 03-13-2021 09:51 AM

I had a long listening session last night w/the HW-40, I really do love this TT. I think it's a combination of the DD, the fatboy and the Soundsmith cart. I miss the looks of my Classic 2 in the piano black plinth as it matches well w/my McIntosh gear, but the HW-40 is beautiful as well. In an ideal world they would've stuck with the same look at the Classic Direct, but that's just IMO.

It'll be interesting to see how any upcoming DD tables are priced. If anyone is on the fence about grabbing one of these, I'd say go for it. You will be cured of upgradeitis.

phoenixengr 11-09-2021 03:10 PM

Maks-

Congratulations on your new table. I had a chance audition one of the HW40s last year and I had an observation regarding the fit between the platter and subplatter. When I went to assemble former onto the latter, I expected it to take some finesse because I assumed it would be a tight fit; to my surprise, the platter slide onto the sub without any binding or sticking. Thinking it was a fluke, I removed it and tried again; it slid right on without issue leading me to believe it was not a tight fit. Pushing the platter to one side easily verified this as it clearly slid in one direction before contacting the subplatter. I measured ~6-7 mils of eccentricity when the platter was pushed to one side in this way. Have you noticed this on your table?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ijGj7EcRY

Also, have you had to re-lube the main bearing on the platter? I found that the table had to be completely disassembled to gain access to the bearing, including dealing with a rather fragile ribbon cable that connects the feedback mechanism from the electronics.

Maks 11-11-2021 03:20 AM

I don't recall it being much different than fitting the platter on my Classic 2. I have not had to re-lube anything. I've given up on audiophile nervosa, I set the cart up with a protractor and my ears and that was that. I'm not going to get a test record and break out my oscilloscope spending hours worrying about things. The table sounds much better to me than my Classic 2 and I'm happy w/it.

phoenixengr 11-11-2021 09:41 AM

I'm glad you are happy with the table. Most of the reviews I've read have been positive.

I don't believe the Classic 2 had a subplatter, the platter rode on the main bearing assembly. You may want to check with VPI wrt lubing the HW40 bearing. The HW40 subplatter rests on a main bearing nearly identical to the Classic 2 and VPI recommends relubing their bearings annually to prevent premature wear.

I found the sound quality of the HW40 compared favorably to my current table using similar carts (Benz Micro Glider II & Sumiko Blackbird, both HOMC), except for the bass on the HW40 which I found to be quite a bit boomy, bottom heavy and poorly controlled. I noticed the tonearm bearings on the HW40 "chattered" meaning they were probably loose which may have accounted for the accentuated bass response.

Fbgbill 04-06-2022 09:05 AM

FWIW I just ordered the HW-40 through Ivan with Ortofon Cadenza Black installed. Was told it was the last one that VPI had in stock. There are some dealers that have them in stock.